Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GLock 17 for PRODUCTION

turbocomp38s

Aside from new sights, I would agree with others and recommend that you shoot it stock for a while. Based upon your analysis of how the pistol works for you, THEN make modifications.

That being said...here is a list o' mods that I have on my G34 Production gun.

**NOTE** DO NOT fall into the trap of f'ing with your internals and compromising reliability!!!

-TruGrip (My grip is now stipled)

-Heinie/Dawson sights

-Tungsten Guidrod w/12# recoil spring

-Twenty-five cent trigger job

-Duracoat ;)

yup.jpg

Other legal mods for Production include:

-installing an OEM mag release button

-grip stipling (check the 2008 rulebook for exact allowable location)

-flush gripstrap plug

I'm not saying that you really need any of this, rather it is just legal for Prod.

At the request of Chris Keen, here is a more resent picture of my Glock:

You resent it? You only recently stippled it. If you resent it so much, you can send it this way.

At the request of Chris Keen, here is a more resent picture of my Glock:

You resent it? You only recently stippled it. If you resent it so much, you can send it this way.

:wacko::roflol: The spellcheck in Firefox doesn't catch words that are wrong but spelled correctly :blush:

I love that pistol Bob, and could never resent (recent?) it :)

Don't screw with it too much. A shooter at a club I shoot at alot is one of those inverterate tinkerers. He has screwed with his Glocks so much, they don't run reliably any more. When they don't work, he goes off on another modification to try to make them work. I always just want to tell him to put all the stock parts back in. Be judicious in what you do, and make sure it works before you go onto the next thing.

Don't screw with it too much. A shooter at a club I shoot at alot is one of those inverterate tinkerers. He has screwed with his Glocks so much, they don't run reliably any more. When they don't work, he goes off on another modification to try to make them work. I always just want to tell him to put all the stock parts back in. Be judicious in what you do, and make sure it works before you go onto the next thing.

My $.02, in order of importance

1- change sights. The chunky stock sights are not your friend. I like Dawsons or Warren Sevigny in that order on my competition guns, Heinie's on my other Glocks. I like the fiber optic fronts.

2- TruGrip...so you can hold on to that sucka.

3- Charlie Vanek Production legal drop-in trigger. Sweeeet.

You can stop now and spend money on ammo, gas and match fees.

If you swing that way and reload, you'll probably want to go to a stainless guide rod and softer springs for softer loads.

1- change sights. The chunky stock sights are not your friend. I like Dawsons or Warren Sevigny in that order on my competition guns, Heinie's on my other Glocks. I like the fiber optic fronts.

If you swing that way and reload, you'll probably want to go to a stainless guide rod and softer springs for softer loads.

GUMBO!! :cheers:

Jim

I'd agree with this list. I use the Dawsons and the Vanek drop in. It's awesome. I do NEED the grips... but I'm really worried about making the grips any bigger. I'm trying Pro Grip for now.

Appendix D4 of the Jan 2008 Rulebook states (as it has been for some time) that you can only add a maximum of two ounces over the listed weight of your pistol. Tungsten or steel guiderods won't put you over by themselves.

I'd agree with this list. I use the Dawsons and the Vanek drop in. It's awesome. I do NEED the grips... but I'm really worried about making the grips any bigger. I'm trying Pro Grip for now.

I don't like the TruGrips either because it makes the grip to much bigger and I have to shift my grip in order to hit mag release. I started using Pro Grip as well and have been happy with it even in 90 degree days.

Eric

I would echo what everyone else is saying – sights, grip treatment of some type, and good polishing on the appropriate trigger parts. I have the Warren/ Sevigny competition sights and Tru grip tape. I also have a –power firing pin spring and +power trigger spring but I when those go I’m thinking about going back to the originals. I just don’t think there is that much benefit.

Mr. Bender – would you recommend the stipling over Tru-grip? Is it worth the trouble (or cost if you paid someone)?

I don't like the TruGrips either because it makes the grip to much bigger and I have to shift my grip in order to hit mag release. I started using Pro Grip as well and have been happy with it even in 90 degree days.

Eric

Are you sure you are talking about tru-grip and not a hogue slip-on? :unsure: Tru-grip is nothing more that precut skateboard tape like material (smaller grit and better adhesives). The Hogue adds a lot of bulk, the trugrip adds almost nothing.

Mr. Bender – would you recommend the stipling over Tru-grip? Is it worth the trouble (or cost if you paid someone)?

Not really. TruGrip is the best all around option for us Glock shooters.

I did my own stippling job (out of curiosity), so additional cost was not an issue. The main benefit obtained from stippling is that it is permanent and does not get damaged in the rain. The cons are that it is permanent and can be a little pricey if done professionally.

Stippling is nice, but with a lot less effort and permanence TruGrip is an excellent modification as well.

My limited 35 has a very nice stipple/paint/recontour job --- allegedly by Jim Shanahan. My Production blasters and carry guns all wear Tru-Grip. Shanahan's job is terrific --- but if it hadn't come on the gun for a smoking price already, my limited gun would be wearing Tru-Grip also....

I strongly prefer the texture of griptape to stippling or checkering....