Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclips

Tin Can

I just bought a NIB 625-8 JM. While picking it up I also bought another dozen moonclips, I have no idea of manufacture nothing was on the bag. I had some trouble at the start, kinda like a coffee grinder. Then the gun locked up solid nothing moved. I got home and managed to unlock the gun with the help of a rubber hammer. Next trip to shooting area more of the same, including not being able to load the rounds into the cylinder.

I have some RIMZ on order after searching this forum. Any other brands that anyone could recommend?

Thanks

Edited by Tin Can

Can you open and close the cylinder without a moonclip (would show if the extractor rod was loose maybe) ??

Sounds like you got some real problems there, if the clips are new and are flat (check them on a glass table or mirror)

all should be good.

What kind of ammo are you using ??

I had some moonclips for a 940 that were a shade too thick so they would bind up the cylinder from spinning. I had a friend with a surface grinder get them down a few thousands of an inch and now they work great. With 45acp moonclips I've used Ranch Products and have had no issues.

~Mitch

I have some RITZ on order after searching this forum. Any other brands that anyone could recommend?

Man, I still have a lot to learn. :huh:

300_130001.jpg

B)

Wait til scott Beckham sees this!! :lol:

How did the gun work with the factory supplied clips? Dave

Although anything is possible, brand new moonclips shouldn't be the problem. If you are using reloads, you may want to try some factory ammunition to see if it works. If they feed into the cylinder, then the reloads are not sized good enough.

Another thing I learned the hard way a while back: Unique powder does not work well in 625's (at least, I had a bad experience). The incompletely burned flakes get behind the extractor (between it and the cylinder). This can lock up the gun so bad you cannot turn the cylinder, and the flakes are so small and black that they are hard to see unless you know what to look for.

May not help, but figured it wouldn't hurt to comment.

I was wondering if you have/could see how the gun works without the clips at all. At least to narrow down the cause of the trouble.

ACP brass has no rim. Wont work without the clips. BB will drop to deep into the cylinder.

Most of the 625-8s I've seen have tight chambers--too tight for speed reloading, in my opinion. I think the factory made a whole bunch of cylinders using chambering tooling that was becoming worn out. I'm now reaming the chambers on 625-8s to SAAMI spec as a matter of course when I do action jobs on them. Anyway, if that's the problem, send me the cylinder and I'll ream the chambers for free.

There's also at least one run of really bad moonclips out there--not sure who made them, probably some offshore concern. They're super cheap on eBay, but they're not stamped at all straight. Jam-o-rama.

There are several other reasons why the gun could have locked up, though, including those already mentioned in previous posts here.

Most of the 625-8s I've seen have tight chambers--too tight for speed reloading, in my opinion. I think the factory made a whole bunch of cylinders using chambering tooling that was becoming worn out. I'm now reaming the chambers on 625-8s to SAAMI spec as a matter of course when I do action jobs on them. Anyway, if that's the problem, send me the cylinder and I'll ream the chambers for free.

There's also at least one run of really bad moonclips out there--not sure who made them, probably some offshore concern. They're super cheap on eBay, but they're not stamped at all straight. Jam-o-rama.

There are several other reasons why the gun could have locked up, though, including those already mentioned in previous posts here.

Hi Mike,

can you tell me the right misure about the tool to ream the chambers ?

Do you think i need to buy from Brownells ? or a precision metal-worker can do the job without problems ?

Because i have a friend who work with theese precision-machine , but i don't know if i need the particolar tool, or if it's ok to tell him only the misures.

Thank you for any info :cheers:

Hi Mike,

Do you think i need to buy from Brownells ? or a precision metal-worker can do the job without problems ?

Because i have a friend who work with theese precision-machine , but i don't know if i need the particolar tool, or if it's ok to tell him only the misures.

Thank you for any info :cheers:

Look HERE

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

625-8's (in particular) need the chambers reamed. The chambers are usually undersize and out of round. The other problem seems to be brass that's too big (dia) just above the extractor groove. Many sizing dies don't size this area down far enough. Lee dies seem to be the best in this respect.

I have a 25-2 and had similar problems lately. But, my gun, although it's a real beater, did work OK all the time until the problem started. I have found that most moonclip problems are NOT a gun problem.

Anyway, not too long ago when CCI brass ammo was about $8/box, I would use it almost exclusively. Then, I started having the infernal "grinding" problem. It was frustrating because I first thought the clip might be slightly bent, unscrewed cylinder rod, etc. But, the problem was very inconsistent and intermittent; I would demoon, replace with new rounds -- nothing helped diagnosing the "unreliability". This can be a real problem at a match! Then, a fellow shooter said he was having similar problems with CCI loading the rounds into his clips................viola!

Well, with a little checking I discovered that the "rims" of more recently purchased CCI rounds were occasionally thicker; they snapped into the moonclip OK for me, but the rim thickness irregularity was just enough to cause anything from a slight rub to almost total lock up. It only takes one oddball round to do this, but it would happen with 1 - 2 rounds/box. You have to look REALLY closely to see the occasional imperfection in the brass and it is not consistent around the circumference, but it's there.

The solution? With the recent price increases at Wally, I switched to Winchester white box. The prices are within a few cents at my location. Now I shoot WWB exclusively and the problem went away, and, having much softer primers is a real advantage to boot. Man, those CCI's seemed to be real hard -- I always got a light strike every now and then.

I'm not knocking CCI. I buy what is cheapest. But, their case QC problem was real. I don't know if it was just a bad run or what but my whole spiel here is to simply give a possible solution to a similar problem I had.

--Charlie

Edited by section30

ACP brass has no rim. Wont work without the clips. BB will drop to deep into the cylinder.

My 625JM has a step in the cylinder, I can load and fire 6 without the moons. It just doesn't eject with the rod.

Send the gun to Mike Carmoney and let him do his voodoo on it. When you get it back it will be competition ready. His turn around time is un believable as is the quality of his work.

I agree and add that he doesn't charge his attorney rate for the work, which is a good thing ;) .

Thanks everyone. The RIMZ ( no more typing before dinner) came in today and the problem went away. I used different headstamps, and tried everything suggested here. I will PM Carmoney. Now where did I put those crackers and sardines? :rolleyes:

Hi Mike,

Hi Luca,

I can't quote you the exact dimension on the chambering reamer, and don't have a micrometer to measure it--sorry. You might be able to obtain specifications from the manufacturer--they are made by Clymer. SAAMI may publish specs for the internal diameter dimension of a .45 ACP chamber--that may be all you need to have your friend do the work.

Here in the states it's easier to simply buy the reamer. RGS linked to the Brownells website above, the one I use is part number 184-051-450, the .45 ACP cylinder finisher reamer, turned by hand with a simple T-handle. It's easy and pretty much fool-proof.

Send the gun to Mike Carmoney and let him do his voodoo on it. When you get it back it will be competition ready. His turn around time is un believable as is the quality of his work.

I agree and add that he doesn't charge his attorney rate for the work, which is a good thing ;) .

Thanks guys, I really appreciate those nice words. There are getting to be quite a few "Carmonized" revolvers out there now!

My 625JM has a step in the cylinder, I can load and fire 6 without the moons. It just doesn't eject with the rod.

I've dealt with a number of guns that would, and a number of guys that wouldn't. That's why I phrased it the way I did.

Hi Mike,

Hi Luca,

I can't quote you the exact dimension on the chambering reamer, and don't have a micrometer to measure it--sorry. You might be able to obtain specifications from the manufacturer--they are made by Clymer. SAAMI may publish specs for the internal diameter dimension of a .45 ACP chamber--that may be all you need to have your friend do the work.

Here in the states it's easier to simply buy the reamer. RGS linked to the Brownells website above, the one I use is part number 184-051-450, the .45 ACP cylinder finisher reamer, turned by hand with a simple T-handle. It's easy and pretty much fool-proof.

Thank you Mike