Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening up an Edge

el pres

I have a bone stock Edge and am thinking about lightening it up a bit...

I have a machinist friend with some 100k cnc machines and he ows me one... :P

As I get a little better and SEE and feel more I want to see and feel something else.

First I would like it to cycle a little faster.

Secondly, in wide transitions I tend to slightly overshoot the A, I tried lighter front

end guns and it's the weight out front thats doing this. I have to put the brakes on

a little early but I want to just pop the the spot.

And most importantly, in my sight track when the sight returns back down it dips and shakes

a little...

I'm thinking to start with some upper front slide cuts and see how it feels before I take off too much,

what are your thoughts ???

Go nuts, lighten the frame, the slide, and take as much weight out as you can get in one shot. You can add weight back with heavy parts easily and cheaply. Taking the weight out is costly and difficult.

I had considered doing the same thing to my edge after my buddy got a sight-tracker. I love the edge but the sight-tracker had much less noticable recoil and muzzle rise. I'm still on the fence but if I were in your situation where you have a friend that can do it, I would definately go for it.

By lightening the slide you remove weight that pushes back during recoil but the front of the gun remains heavy with the long dust cover as it was designed. If you're finding it hard to stop on target or the front of the gun is too heavy you can cut the dust cover.

I like the cuts that Matt Cheely is doing and I really like what Howard is doing but he likes to work on six's :)

Look at what most of the top shooters are shooting....not that what they have works for everybody but it makes you wonder. If I can remember correctly I don't think a nationals has been won with a full length dust cover gun. I've always shot 1911s and there fore when I went to 2011s the eagle was just natural. Now I'm having one built with a lightened slide as well. Its all in the feel.

And most importantly, in my sight track when the sight returns back down it dips and shakes

a little...

You should be able to help/cure that with a spring change. Take out the RM (if you haven't already) and try a steel guide rod with something around 10-12.5lbs and it might settle just the way you'd like. R,

Thanks, there's some great ideas there...

One more question, can a round top slide be flat topped (or tri) without lowering the sight dovetails

but still having the sights flush ??? :unsure: Appears to me, no ???

I have some ideas and I'll take pics through the process and post them !!

I had my round top 9mm slide tri-topped. He didn't change the height of the sight cuts, just worked around them. I'm not sure what you meen by having the sights flush, but I think mine looks pretty good. I'll try and send you some pictures of it if you are interested.

Like 7 years ago when I shot Lim, I had my gunsmith take weight out of my Edge slide. He simply made it a flattop and made the scallop/stirrup cuts at the muzzle like at normal 1911 slide, instead of the full profile slide the Edge has.

I remember it did seem like it cycle faster to me and also a little less bounce. I'd do it again.

Hello: I would cut the frame back first then shoot it. If you like what you have then you can stop. I would then lighten the slide like a classic STI slide cuts and try it again. I would then flat top the slide between the sights and try it again. At this point I would just shoot it for a while. Then you will be able to decide what other cuts you like and how far you want/need to go. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hack it up, chop it up everywhere. A tungsten guide rod replaces ALL of the weight you can take out of the frame. A tungsten reverse plug will replace almost all of the weight you take out of the slide. Mix and match heavy parts and light parts, move the weight around. THAT is how you learn something, you have to try it all.

After getting 'tennis elbow' from shooting a my Limited gun (it weighed a ton) I had the frame shortened and the slide lightened way up. I replaced the tungsten guide rod with a stainless one and the Dawson heavy ICE with an aluminum one. I didn't weigh the gun before the work, but it's a lot lighter now and shoots way flatter.

Before:

9fb6c5dc.jpg

After:

4a0e4caa.jpg

7c8cf327.jpg

642cd7fb.jpg

After getting 'tennis elbow' from shooting a my Limited gun (it weighed a ton) I had the frame shortened and

Wow !! That is a nice piece !! Funny how in the first picture a few years ago that look

was the shit, now it looks so dated !! :surprise:

Hey I had Tennis elbow too ??? Come to thing of it, it was about the same time I started to shoot

that edge ??? :blink:

After removing all of that weight was there a malfunction period, changing springs, loads. etc. to remedy ??

After getting 'tennis elbow' from shooting a my Limited gun (it weighed a ton) I had the frame shortened and

Wow !! That is a nice piece !! Funny how in the first picture a few years ago that look

was the shit, now it looks so dated !! :surprise:

Hey I had Tennis elbow too ??? Come to thing of it, it was about the same time I started to shoot

that edge ??? :blink:

After removing all of that weight was there a malfunction period, changing springs, loads. etc. to remedy ??

The only change I had to make was going from a 11lb variable recoil spring to a 14lb spring. It works fine with a 12.5lb spring as well be feels weird to me and doesn't track just right.

What kind of reverse plug is that ? That fills in the space between the plug and the barrel ???

Limcat 360 Deg. Reverse Plug... I got mine from shootersconnection.com:

web.jpg

Haven't finished fitting it yet, I need to smooth it out on the front a bit, but it's works great for me.

Edited by Chris Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I got some pics of step one :

Stock

june08004.jpg

Step one:

CIMG3934.jpg

I noticed a little difference in the right direction but next week I'm going to take off alot more..

A friend of mine has a gun that swings a little better but tracks like a machine for me !!! :cheers:

Just a pleasure to shoot splits with this thing, the recoil is noticably higher but something you could get

used to in minutes, I really like the tracking of his gun. This is what he has:

S_I full dust cover with a "bushing barrel" and a standard, of all things, "Sprinco" recoil rod, feels like crap when working the

slide by hand but could not track any better ???

I am going to try some different springs and a standard rod, mabey a buffer ?? I'm still useing the RM and dont

want to go to the sprinco but I'm going to play around with the spring for sure...

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

• 6 months later...

Reworked my Edge to match my primary gun (weight), just got it back from coating.

This gun has been seating in the safe-very little use, thought I would like a heavy gun because of

recoil control. As you become better shooter, ideas that work in the beginning are not necessary

true as your skill increases.