Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bowling pins

EEH

hey guys I have A pin & steel match once a month at my club (Wildlife Action) in SC. most shoot rev.most 625 looking for best rev and load,pins get heavy after a few shooters.((HELP))

hey guys I have A pin & steel match once a month at my club (Wildlife Action) in SC. most shoot rev.most 625 looking for best rev and load,pins get heavy after a few shooters.((HELP))

Find the biggest honking bullet you can throw down range and load accordingly. :D

255-gr. SWCs are the classic bullet for pin-shooting with a .45 ACP. Start with around 6.0 grains of Unique. You can work your way up to about 7.0 gr., but be sure to watch for pressure signs. Pins take as much power as you (and your gun) can stand. 250 P.F. loads are not unreasonable for bowling pins, particularly if the pins are getting lumpy and/or they're using wood tables.

WHERE and WHEN in S.C.??? Do they shoot the "Steel Challenge" stages, or are the stages "Made Up"???...Thanks!....mikey357

mickey357--I am in Myrtle Beach we have a club the stages are made up 8-9 pins on table some on stands some hanging one stage all steel or mixed in EEH

255-gr. SWCs are the classic bullet for pin-shooting with a .45 ACP. Start with around 6.0 grains of Unique. You can work your way up to about 7.0 gr., but be sure to watch for pressure signs. Pins take as much power as you (and your gun) can stand. 250 P.F. loads are not unreasonable for bowling pins, particularly if the pins are getting lumpy and/or they're using wood tables.

Mke can u still get 230,s in 38-357 (((lincoln log))) wad cutter

What Mike said......I used to shoot the 255 in a 625 with a single port comp, on a slab barrel. I also used to shoot .357 200 grain flat points that also worked well. The 255 grainers at 900fps always did the trick if you could get then on the pins. Also look for loads from 10mm Dave and Doug Carden. They are both great pin shooters from a not too distant past.

Mke can u still get 230,s in 38-357 (((lincoln log))) wad cutter

Penn Bullets, maybe? GT Bullets (Gary Thibodeaux's company) in Louisiana?

Do a search here, this came up in the past 6 months.

Try a search for R & R bullets ...

Thanks Google....here it is.... :roflol:

R & R BULLET 308-432-6914

233 Goffena Rd

Chadron, NE 69337

They have, or did have, the best 38 230gr pin bullet and the best (IMHO) .45 bullet, a 235grain SWC that ate pins and was easy on the gun too.....

Check them out, and tell 'em I sent ya....Run either bullet at least 900-950fps and you will have it about as good as it gets.....

Good luck,

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

233 Goffena Rd

Chadron, NE 69337

They have, or did have, the best 38 230gr pin bullet and the best (IMHO) .45 bullet, a 235grain SWC that ate pins and was easy on the gun too.....

Check them out, and tell 'em I sent ya....Run either bullet at least 900-950fps and you will have it about as good as it gets.....

Good luck,

DougC

Yes they did have them,but as far as I know,R&R are done casting bullets.It kinda sucks too,that 235 45 is a great pin bullet.I've got some 230 38s from Penn and they work good.I agree with coldchar that speed works too.I've had the best luck with 158gr LSWCs out of my 586.-Mike

I know folks sure like the local matches our club puts on.I'm pretty sure we do it just like Second Chance??We set up 4 tables and run two pairs of shooters,man on man,best 2 out of three,double elimination.It can make for a long day and lots of ammo if you go to the losers bracket early.I think our record last year was like 80 guns.

Edited by kframe_mike

I'm pretty sure we do it just like Second Chance??

Traditionally, the "Main Event" at the big pin matches, including Second Chance, involved shooting 6 tables of pins on the stopwatch. The shooter's worst time was thrown out, and his score was the aggregate time of the remaining 5 runs. As the guns got more specialized, they started running two "Main Events," Pin Gun and Stock Gun. Basically, Pin Gun allowed compensators and muzzle weights--optics were never allowed at any of the big pin matches, except for a few in the Northeast. Originally, Second Chance was run heads-up, but eventually they set up separate prize tables for OSS (Ordinary Standard Shooters) and MB (Master Blasters). Some of the other venues used an A-B-C-D class system. To be in the running to win, you needed to post a 5-table aggregate well under 20 seconds.

In addition to tons of side matches, Second Chance (and most of the other big pin shoots) also ran at least one shoot-off every year. Starting around 1989 or 1990, Winchester Ammunition began to fund special "big money" shoot-offs. All of these were run very much like the man-on-man events you describe at your club. Shoot-offs are big fun!

Back in its prime, pin shooting was extraordinarily popular--and highly competitive. Some years, Second Chance would attract 500+ shooters. Prizes included tons of cash, all-expenses paid trips to Las Vegas, motorcycles, not to mention prize tables chock full of new HK91 rifles, commemorative S&W 29s, Benelli shotguns, and every other conceivable type of firearm. Some years, a Mercedes-Benz automobile was tossed into the prize mix. It was pretty incredible.

Pin Gun allowed compensators and muzzle weights--optics were never allowed at any of the big pin matches, except for a few in the Northeast.

You must have stopped going before they offered the "Space Gun" event Mikey.

Dot guns were allowed in some side events also though I don't recall which ones, that was a long time ago.

Dave, I guess I do remember the "Space Gun" event, now that you mention it, but I didn't think dots were permitted in any of the other side events, at least on the front range. Handgun LRPF on the back range, maybe?

Anyway, I suspect if pin shooting ever becomes resurrected on a national level, the aging population of pin shooters will insist that optics be allowed! :)

233 Goffena Rd

Chadron, NE 69337

Good luck,

DougC

I called R&R he said that they did not make them anymore --but HE had a few still in stock 72.00 per 1000 + shipping will try these EEH

I'd be all over those EEH,if you ordered from Penn it could take MONTHS to see them.Blue Dot seems to be the powder for these.Start with 6.8 and work up to 7.2 in a .38 Special case.I'm using standard Fed primers,seeing easy pressure signs,and the empty cases fall out of the cylinder.They go about 900 out of my 6" 586.I tried 2400,but didn't like what I was seeing.-Mike

How far under 20 seconds? That depended on the year. some years, an 18.9 might win the whole thing, while other years it took something like 16.5.

The winner was the fastest, but the second, third and fourth place finishes could count on very respectable prizes. And their the times were more consistent. If you shot 19.0 or better you could count on being in the top half of the guns portfolio of the prize table. That's for Master Blaster.

For OSS, you could count on being "in the guns" if you were under 24, and "on the table" if you were under 25 seconds.

So, for an MB, you were looking to shoot sub-4 tables, while OSS wanted sub-5 tables.

Oh, the top three OSS in the Main Event were summarily promoted to MB for the next year's match. The price of success. However, Richard himself said "If you can contain your ego, you can stay an OSS forever." The trick was to place high enough to win loot, without inadvertently placing high enough to get the comment from Richard while you were selecting your prize: "Masterful blasting."

I'd be all over those EEH,if you ordered from Penn it could take MONTHS to see them.Blue Dot seems to be the powder for these.Start with 6.8 and work up to 7.2 in a .38 Special case.I'm using standard Fed primers,seeing easy pressure signs,and the empty cases fall out of the cylinder.They go about 900 out of my 6" 586.I tried 2400,but didn't like what I was seeing.-Mike

bullets have been ordeed--have you ever tried --vvn350 powder thanks eeh

bullets have been ordeed--have you ever tried --vvn350 powder thanks eeh

For pin loads with those 230s, I would advise that you do not mess with any powders other than Blue Dot. Pressure problems can crop up quickly with this load. Blue Dot is the one and only powder which has been proven safe at (real) pin load levels. You can work your way carefully up to 7.8 grains of Blue Dot, which in a long tube can increase velocities to 1050-1100 fps. The overall length in a .38 Spl. case should be around 1.55"--be warned, the crimp groove is in the wrong place on the R&R bullets. Set the bullets out so the OAL is at least 1.5."

This was my personal pin load for years, and I never found anything that worked better from a handgun.