Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cigarette butts...

-JQ-

This really chaps my hide.

They are full of toxins, very slow to degrade (if at all), ugly and cause fires...and it is littering.

"Why not put them in your ashtray?" I asked a friend while we were travelling. "I don't want to stink up my car, those things are nasty" :angry2:

Smoke 'em if you want...stick the butts back in the pack!

Interesting article I found.

http://www.longwood.edu/CLEANVA/ciglitterarticle.htm

I've been pondering a "deposit" for butts...would you keep them if they were worth a penny or two? Homeless...pickup butts and trade them in for food/shelter/needs/etc...I could probably buy dinner at my exit off the highway with $0.01 butts....grrrr...

I see this a lot at the range and it makes me wonder. Field strip the thing, throw the filter in the trash and just sorta smoosh up the paper/tobacco and let it fly (it'll degrade quickly and harms nothing). I think that's a lot better than having filters all over the ground at the range. R,

I get my neighbor's home care workers throwing their butts into the bush in front of my door. It's the first thing I see when I open my door in the morning. I've complained a dozen times but it's never the same workers there and no one ever seems to admit to smoking. :angry2: It hasn't happened in about a month so hopefully they've gotten the hint when I pick the butts up and throw them on their patio.

I once saw a woman drop her cig butt on the ground. I ran over, picked it up, ran after her and said, " Excuse me, you dropped this back there" and put it in her purse. You should have seen the look on her face.

I was impressed with how trashed the range was after last years IDPA nationals. We picked up a lot of cigarette butts.

Not being a smoker, I didn't think to put out butt cans, so I blame myself for a lot of the mess.

Still, nasty suckers. In boy scouts they always preached that smokers "field strip" their cigarettes. Wish more people did that.

Ted

There is a woman that parks next to me at work. Heavy smoker. You can smell the cigarette smoke in her car with the windows up. I thought I had seen everything. Not until I looked into her car. Besides all the fast food wrappers, etc. Her ashtray was over-flowing. Ashes and cigarette butts have over-flowed the ashtray and are piling on the floor and the console (on top of the food wrappers, etc). It is absolutely disgusting.

At least she is keeping them in her car... :mellow:

"I once saw a woman drop her cig butt on the ground. I ran over, picked it up, ran after her and said, " Excuse me, you dropped this back there" and put it in her purse. You should have seen the look on her face. "

OK, I hate to "one up you" on this, but that brought back a precious memory!

I ride motorcycles and have had thrown LIT cigarettes go down my jacket, so.....

When the cop in front of me at a stop light threw out a cigarette (LIT also), I put the kickstand down,

got off the bike, picked up the cigarette and knocked on his window. He had a surprised look on his face, but not

as surprised as when I flicked the cigarette in his car and told him I don't appreciate littering, and I expect cops to set a better example!

I got back on the bike and went around him as the light changed.... figured he'd stop me for a ticket, but he was too busy trying to find the lit cigarette in his squad car! Made my day!!!!!!

Steve Pitt

(p.s.- I'm not cop bashing... my daughter's a cop, my wife's a reserve deputy, and I am a volunteer Colorado Mounted Ranger... just telling it like it was).

When the cop in front of me at a stop light threw out a cigarette (LIT also), I put the kickstand down,

got off the bike, picked up the cigarette and knocked on his window. He had a surprised look on his face, but not

as surprised as when I flicked the cigarette in his car and told him I don't appreciate littering, and I expect cops to set a better example!

That is an awesome story haha.

I ride motorcycles and have had thrown LIT cigarettes go down my jacket, so.....

Yep, I ride too and getting hit by someone's cigarette sucks. :angry: Thoughtless bastards! I'd love to be able to flick one in the offender's lap to see how they like it just once! :devil:

I wonder why the highway medians catch on fire so often this time of year...

I'm a smoker and I have to agree. I can't stand to see butts all over the ground. I always do my best to remove myself from the squad and/or stand downwind of them and field strip it. It's just a courtesy thing, which society seems to be lacking in today's world.

"I once saw a woman drop her cig butt on the ground. I ran over, picked it up, ran after her and said, " Excuse me, you dropped this back there" and put it in her purse. You should have seen the look on her face. "

I got back on the bike and went around him as the light changed.... figured he'd stop me for a ticket, but he was too busy trying to find the lit cigarette in his squad car! Made my day!!!!!!

Steve Pitt

(p.s.- I'm not cop bashing... my daughter's a cop, my wife's a reserve deputy, and I am a volunteer Colorado Mounted Ranger... just telling it like it was).

AWESOME!! :cheers:

I don't smoke but my wife just started again. Yesterday she dropped her cigarette in the parking lot and put it out. I mentioned this thread and told her the "world is not her ashtray". She hasn't done it since. Field strip is her way now.

Now if I can just get her to quit again.

Edited by pas44

Littering is one of the few Class C Misdemeanors that I ever get involved with because I absolutely hate it. In my opinion, I think it is very LOW class. Cigarette butts are nasty and they're everywhere. Very often I'll drive into my office parking lot (DPS/State Police office) and see a person smoking as they are walking towards the door. Even with the cigarette disposal right there, they usually throw them down on the ground. Every time I see it, I confront them and make them pick them up.

I'll go a step further.

If you're a smoker and go visit someone who isn't - that's cool if you smoke outside, but any freakin make-shift ashtray you make (e.g. empty beer cans), YOU need to throw them away.

I don't want to clean up nasty cigerette mess after you leave.