Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon presses

I have a square deal in 45 acp, and will be adding 40 this fall. I have been offered another s.d. in 40 cal for $275, would it be better to have two presses or a conversion kit with powder and just switch back and forth? :unsure:

Really, how hard is it to switch calibers? I'd buy another toolhead and powder dispenser and switch back and forth, even if it means that I have to spend six hundred seconds (aka: 5 minutes) converting every time.

A dedicated press set up for each caliber would be nice if cost and space were no issue. For myself, I have very limited space and cash resources, so I would go with a caliber conversion over another SDB. I'm "living the dream" right now, with a 650XL set up for 9mm and 40S&W and my old SDB set up to do large primer 45acp and 10mm (I still only have space to have one mounted to my bench at a time). Good luck on deciding what's gonna work out for you.

I started out with an SDB in 40. I liked it. When I considered another caliber...I started looking for an extra SDB in the other caliber. Extra tool head, dies, powder measure... It would be ready to go with no adjustments.

I started out with an SDB in 40. I liked it. When I considered another caliber...I started looking for an extra SDB in the other caliber. Extra tool head, dies, powder measure... It would be ready to go with no adjustments.

I bought a SDB last week for 45 for these reasons...and I liked the price.

This will sit next to my 550 set up for .40

Like Flex said, I figured once I get it all set-up I won't have to worry with resetting...I need all those extra seconds to remember where I put my glasses... :surprise:

ymmv

I love the SDB. It is a great deal when you take into account the fact that you are getting a whole press with powder measure, priming system, shell plate, and dies. I have a 650 set up for the caliber I am shooting competitively and an SDB set up for whatever I am justing messing around with.

For the money, a conversion kit plus powder and tool head runs $165.

A whole second press for $275?

If you've got the space and budget, and you like loading on the SDB, get the second press.

I've switched tool heads and powder a few times for my 9 & .40. If I were in your shoes (shooting enough .40 to justify it) I'd get a second press. If I were only making the change once a month or less, I'd stay with one press.

A couple of years ago I added a 650 and only load .40 in it. My other press is a 550 and load all other calibers. I really like this arrangement. Sometimes getting the powder measure just right can take more time than switching conversions. Two presses.

My present SDB has setups for 9MM, .45 ACP, .38/.357 and soon to add .40 S&W. The thought of having separate setups for different calibers (or even, large & small primers) makes me drool but unfortuantely, the work space is just gone. If you have the room, the choice for me would be a no-brainer.

Hello: Buy the other SDB. The only thing better than having 2 presses is 3 presses! I had a square deal b that I loaded 9mm,40 and 45acp on. The change over time was not bad but having another press or 2 would have been better. I have 2 presses now and love it. One is for 45acp and the other is setup for 40 right now. I have all the pieces to reload 9mm as well so I could change either press over to 9mm. Now go buy that other SDB! Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the great input, I think you're right 2 press is better than one. I have a 6 foot loading bench, holding off on sq.deal till monday though, gun auction saturday, and they said they had either a 550 or a 1050 dillon press (they were'nt sure on the number) I let ya know what happens :surprise:

morning all, the press a the auction endup being a 450 dillion, by the time it was done the press when for 300 for some reason, by the time I would have added the upgrades for a 550 would cost more than a 550 brand new :surprise: , so since all I load are pistol brass, I'm going with the other square deal and set up for 40s&w, price is good, thanks for all the imput from everyone, happy shooting :cheers:

I have multiple dillons.

I use on SDB for 9mm, another for .40, and have a 550 set up for .45 with a quick change now for .223

Having the 550 is really only handy for the rifle calibers. I really like the auto index of the SDB and the fact that it has a smaller foot print. I can put multiple presses on the same bench and still have room.