Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any major drawbacks to the Caspian hicaps vs S_I?

bofe954

Shoot both guns in 40 and see what you like. If you want a light gun go with the plastic S_I. If grip on Casp loves your hand buy that.

If your not a tinker, just get the gunsmith to build what you want. If you like to fiddle then S_I are better.

I'm a little disappointed in the STI slides I've gotten, nothing major, just minor finish problems, different on each one. Might try SVI or Caspian slides. My experience with Caspain and Baer are first rate. Next time I'll try an SVI slide.

Mags are an issue for an Open gun, you will need to have Jim Anglin make a big stick for you and it will be 29 rounds where I have 31 in an S_I,

Just an FYI... I saw a Casper run with 30+1 this weekend. Legal length.

Mags are an issue for an Open gun, you will need to have Jim Anglin make a big stick for you and it will be 29 rounds where I have 31 in an S_I,

Just an FYI... I saw a Casper run with 30+1 this weekend. Legal length.

NICE!!!! Well not really, I keep seeing the frame I have as an Open Supercomp gun, and 30 would do me just fine. Hard chrome frame with some of the gorgeous ambonia burl grips Rich Dettlehouser makes, blue top end, so sexy it should be illegal LOL. I have resisted building this frame for a while now and feel that I am growing weaker all the time.....

Which Casper? If he isn't on here I would appreciate contact info.

For me the capacity issue was not as important as what fit me. Tried the Para (Grip to big and blocky) Tried a SIG x-5 (wouldn,t run reliably) Tried an XD, M&P and Glock (to Light, and one pointed funny) Tried a friends STI and did not like the feel (something kept hurting my thumb, a grinder might have helped) and it felt big as well. Then I held a Caspian High cap at Ft Benning last year, I knew that was what I needed. I built mine myself and could only be happier if they would make 9mm mags to the level of their .40 cal mags. And as far as grip tape bieng cheesy, well i love cheese. I like it just fine, its replacable and available in different grits. Most secure grip ive found was with grip tape.

post-6767-1211886867.jpg

Edited by mpeltier

For me the capacity issue was not as important as what fit me. Tried the Para (Grip to big and blocky) Tried a SIG x-5 (wouldn,t run reliably) Tried an XD, M&P and Glock (to Light, and one pointed funny) Tried a friends STI and did not like the feel (something kept hurting my thumb, a grinder might have helped) and it felt big as well. Then I held a Caspian High cap at Ft Benning last year, I knew that was what I needed. I built mine myself and could only be happier if they would make 9mm mags to the level of their .40 cal mags. And as far as grip tape bieng cheesy, well i love cheese. I like it just fine, its replacable and available in different grits. Most secure grip ive found was with grip tape.

Funny thing about those 9mm/38sup mags though. The ones I have (all pre-ban both the chromed ones and the blacked ones) look like garbage but worked without having to be tuned for both 38 super and 9mm.... (of course having to re-tension the lips on the bottom of the mag so the base pad stays on without tape is a pain).

I haven't seen any of the new 9mm/38sup mags do they look any better?

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Funny thing about those 9mm/38sup mags though. The ones I have (all pre-ban both the chromed ones and the blacked ones) look like garbage but worked without having to be tuned for both 38 super and 9mm.... (of course having to re-tension the lips on the bottom of the mag so the base pad stays on without tape is a pain).

I haven't seen any of the new 9mm/38sup mags do they look any better?

Peter Adams

FY-39604

They are more than likely going to be made by the same company tha tis making the .40 mags.

:surprise:

Ive allways felt that the Caspian framed guns are a better set-up, My limited gun is one of

the older frames with the round trigger guard, I think it s around 13 years old and has

a bunch of rounds through it, Its is tight and groups very well , doubt that Ill every sell

it. I did build a forty on the Caspian recon frame mostly to try differant barrels just

for stuff and giggles. The new forty Caspian mags are the neatest set-up yet.

And Caspian folks are a class act! :rolleyes:

Jim/PA

Sailors :devil::roflol:

I have not handled the older model mags or black ones. Mine are a matte silver color and have a cast base pad (also silver) that basepad was a real frustration to remove in order to install the EGW basepads. The welds at the seam are very inconsistant also. One had a slight bend at the nose that would catch a bullet after a couple of rounds. two seconds with the pliers fixed it and all have worked perfectly otherwise. Brownells sent me a .40 caspian mag by accident when I ordered the 9mm mags. The .40 mag and basepad is a thing of beauty. Highly polished with a basepad that was very secure yet easily removed. I would be surprised if they were made by the same supplier. I hope Caspian will model future 9mm mags after the current .40.

I have an older caspian that I sent out to EGW. George burns out the front-strap and tig welds in a new checkered front strap. It is very nicely done and much shaper than the old style caspian checkering. You can't even see the seems. I don't know if he still offers this service, but worth the phone call.

No i do not think they do. They only make magazines in 38/9 and in .40, the frame for their hi-cap was actually designed around the 38/9mm cartridge. Magazines in .45 would only hold 10-12 rounds.

I was looking on there website and just could not figure out if they have a hi-cap. .45 .Does any one know if they do? Thanks

Gary is working on a .45 mag. Last I heard was something like 14 rds.

Alan

I was looking on there website and just could not figure out if they have a hi-cap. .45 .Does any one know if they do? Thanks

Gary is working on a .45 mag. Last I heard was something like 14 rds.

Alan

If that’s the case I would love to get a Caspian. They fit very well in my hand and I do like the weight, it feels more balanced. For some reason as pretty the STIs are there is just something about them that just does not fit, and Para are way to square.

PS who is Gary

Gary is the one of the managers of Caspian he is a great fellow.

Their are 45 mags for the caspian =meg-gar I believe makes them Ive used them to make 40

mags out of their an ok mag hold 12 rounds I believe of 45. :surprise::surprise:

Jim

Sailors