Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Least expensive equipment

Just like the topic in the Rifle section, what is the least expensive SG you've seen or purchased for this sport, for a beginner to use to get started.

I lurk in the Gunbroker site and find Benelli M1's going for as little as 650.00, most are in the 700.00 range, with an extended mag tube you're out an additional 50.00 or so. that is a great SG for a very reasonable price.

Remington shotguns can be purchased for a bit less at times.

Pump guns go for much less, averaging 300.00 for a good used one, Remington, Benelli, Ithaca, Mossberg, Winchester, etc.

Like the Rifle topic, we spend a lot on stuff we don't NEED.

What did you START, this sport with and what did it cost you.

I started with the same Benelli M1, that I still use, It was purchased at a gunshow for 600.00, it had a fixed choke 18.5" barrel with rifle sights, I bought an extended mag tube, I think it cost 35.00 and stuck way out past the muzzle, but so what it was working just fine, fixed choke and all. as time went by I picked up a screw choke 18.5" barrel with the same sights, and it worked as well, now I could change chokes, so now I just made shooting more of a challenge because I had to decide what choke I wanted instead of just SHOOTING. BTW, this gun was stock for the first 4-5 years I shot it, no bolt shaving, or other internal work. Eventually, I found a 21" VR barrel, and put a FO front site with a 10/22 flip rear. This is still the SG that I use when I shoot in an auto shotgun division. Also eventually Benny, got ahold of it and shaved the bolt, not because it needed it, because he had it and had been nagging me to get it done.

If we buy good reliable equipment, and not the latest and greatest "gee whiz" stuff. We will be able to compete and enjoy the sport.

What can other SG be purchased for?????????

Trapr

Trapr,

Almost answered this in another forum. I don't know any place where you can't find a Remington 1100 or 11-87 for under $500 after duck season. Just the way it goes. Someone buys it for a group outing and then ditches it for a song. Same friend in your rifle question, is borrowing my Briley Remington 1100 until he pays for it (cheap) but that's how I got that shotgun.

Too, Benelli's can be found under $700 easily. I bought my M1 for $700 w/ an additional pistol grip stock (which I don't need).

Both of these shotguns, run out of the box, with care and proper maintenance. As funds allow, or just from a little creativity, folks can make them "hot rod" guns.

Rich

I ran a pump 870 and a iron sighted AR just so I could play at the local match. Didn't take long for me to get a M1 used with some work done to it and then build up my 3 gun AR though...I like my toys lol.

ETA: I still have my 870...might bring it out next year.

Edited by steel1212

Remington 1100 (a very old one) w/2 barrels in good shape for $200.00 at a pawn shop. Put on the 20" iron sight barrel, added an extended tube and easy loader and it hasn't failed once. Only switched to the Benelli because I wanted to be like the big boys :cheers: .

Also picked up a Benellia Nova pump from the same pawn shop, used for $200.00. Added the mag tube and was good to go for Heavy Metal. Really like pump gun.

Glock handguns, used, ex-PD guns are a great buy.

Then my wife watched me shoot - saw how much I sucked - decided I needed better equipment. Bought me a Benny Hill 6" Fat Free, JP JP-15, and Benelli M2. I still suck. Guess I showed her. :cheers:

Brian, that purple makes you look good!!!!!!! :surprise:

getting started doesn't take a whole gob of money, Pawn shops, the paper, gunshows, and internet can be great sources for good equipment.

Loaners, are a good way to start, my M1, is being used by a friend right now. he's waiting for his M2, i tried telling him an M1 was a better way to get started, you can walk a horse to water, you just can't turn him into dog food without a permit.

trapr

Ok, my starting equiptment was a SAR-1 AK with a side rail mount and a tasco propoint on top !! :roflol:

Rem. 870 pump 18" 7+1, side saddle, etc..

XD 9 mm, fobus holster, 4 mags.........this set up will get you by !!!

Did ok with it up to about 200yds. :surprise:

Ultimate budget 3gun set-up would be :

any reputable flat top AR with a Weaver 1x3 or maybe a used Eotech

a very used Rem. 1100 from a pawnshop, add a tube, and easy loader, and mabey a side saddle ?

and any used Glock or Xd with a couple of mags and your 3gunning !! ;)

I started with a VERY cheap 1100. Now I made the huge leap to a $600 M1s90 Nordic tube and 3gun gear side saddle. So a little over $700 total.

Started with Bushmaster dissapator I picked up for less that $800.

I bought my Benelli Nova a couple off years ago with 26'' barrel.

At my regular gun shop (nobody did shoot shotgun in the Netherlands these days) so I asked what the owner wanted for it.

I got it for 180 euro's which was about 180 dollars these days (now aprox $285 )

It was almost new and I had a custom made steel extension on it that comes flush with my barrel which costed me 60 dollar and i use TruGlo fiber optics on it

This was the best buy ever for me :cheers:

I bought a used/re-worked Rem 1100 for $250. Had the barrel threaded for chokes and bought 7 chokes from/by AnglePort for less than $200.00. I currently use it for sporting, and will add an extended tube for 3-gun.

change CHEAP to REASONABLY AFFORDABLE. :rolleyes:

Benny I know you've dabbled with an 1100, and you already mentioned possibly changing rifle calibers because of low cost ammo availability.

BTW, what was your very FIRST 3 gun set up? :unsure:

Trapr

Benny is right (of course !) I have seen new shooters get good with second rate gear but never REALLY good, give them a top notch toy and then they get great.

I agree 95% with its not the tool but the nut driving it, but that last few percent is the quality of hardware

and being competitive at the level you start at

Mate I know what you are saying, but the word competative is very relative, competative to whom, you? me ? Or really good tactical and limited shooters like Taran, Dan or Robbie ?

The question is what will set you off on a good stead and allow your skills to blossom without inherent gun screw up issues. Good thread - I wish I had read this 10 years ago and I would never have bought a Remmy !!! ..... and I guess there are no burning issues in Texas right now !! :roflol:

Edited by mike.45

Mike.45 you would STILL have bought the Remmy! It usually takes you like 4-5 years to see that what we say is right! I bet in the next few years you will even loose the P.G. stock! There is hope though it only took you 3 and 7/8ths years to see the use of a rear sight on a shotgun, maybe your cycle time is getting better! :roflol:

BTW the 9mm is now finished ( except it has no finish ) and it is AWESOM!!!!! You owe me big time...but hey we'll talk! KURTM ( another one of the "really good" LTD shooters, for forgetting me you will be forced to drink Bud while I enjoy fine home made brew!)

Edited by kurtm

Being competitive at the level you are currently at, in other words with the other people that are at your same skill level.

You cannot be competitive if your equipment is unreliable, you can improve yourself at a moments notice, weapons unreliability must be lived with until you get it properly fixed.

Nobody starts out in a new sport at the TOP, there is a learning curve, that curve is shortened when you only have to work on yourself and not your equipment as well. however we do not NEED 1500.00 shotguns, or 3000.00 rifles with 2000.00 scopes on them, or 2000.00 handguns to be competitive. all we NEED is reliable equipment, TO GET A GOOD START.

Of course being in good physical shape and younger helps tremendously with your ability to improve.

Trapr

Oh but those $1500.00 shotguns and $3000.00 rifles are just so nice to hold. :D

Sure you dont "need" them but what if you just want to play with the tightest fitting, best performing,

most awsome finished equiptment out there. You dont need it, you just "want" it !!! :P:lol:

You dont "need" a Dodge super cab bighorn edition Diesel, power everything, leather throughout, dvd, navigation, lift kit, etc...

The old 78 Silverado could do the same job but you "want" the Dodge !! :mellow:

I enjoy fine crafted toys if I can afford them !!

Well Trapr,

I am just starting and managed to pick up a used 1100 with a second 30" Full choke barrel for just under $200 :ph34r: Now, I know that it is not the "best" for 3-gun but it will also do fine to throw in the bottom of the duck boat and other such endeavors. Haven't had a bobble, just cleaning it and shooting good shells.

I decided to not cut either 30" barrel, one is being honed out to Mod. for free. Just shooting what I am used to :goof:

that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!!!!!! Use what you have, or can get, enjoy the sport and THEN go in debt. There is lots to learn before spending $$$$$$$$$$$, first and foremost what to not spend your $$$$$$$$$$ on.

Trapr

Started with a Rem 1100 that I traded an older 870 + $50 for. Added a Choate +4 tube, DWM loader, and a Williams fiber optic. Gunsmith buddy worked with me to smooth up the innards, drill out the gas holes, replace the O rings, and a trigger job. Had about $450 total in it. Sold it two years later for $500. Replaced with a SX2 Practical.

Well.....

I tried the build-it-yourself route with a Rem 1100. Found a thoroughly hammered duck gun with a trashed stock for around $250. Cut the barrel, new stock, putzed with it some more. Failed miserably. The gun don't run and got tired of sinking money and time into it. At this point I probably have $500 or maybe more in it and it don't run. I'm putting it up for sale soon. Maybe Merlin will buy it.

After throwing in the towel I went with a FNH SLP MK 1. 3-gun ready out of the box. It runs on 2 3/4 dram trap loads (Win AA). Shoots decent enough slug groups to 50yd (anything except Remington). Does a 6" pattern at 50' with 00 buckshot (Remington reduced recoil). Screw in chokes. And I didn't have to do a thing to it.

CDNN has them in the 2008-3 catalog on page 47. Mine ran around $750 in late 2007. Good money spent in my opinion.

At it's first match (non-USPSA) I ended up lending it out to a couple of my team mates. It ate everything that was thrown in it without a hiccup. And the dude who beat me with my own gun will have to borrow something else next time.

But for the uber-cheap way to go. Get a Rem 870 Turkey model. 21" barrel with Remington screw in chokes. Throw on a Choate mag extension and get after it. You now know what my home defense shotgun is. Total outlay. $400.