Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rotator cuff injury

Nemo

After weekend of tree trimming, lawn mowing, weedwacking, garage organizing, ammo loading, etc, etc... At our local match last Saturday I went to pick up my range bag from the ground by the shoulder strap and my shoulder gave me a small crunch. Now I can't barely lift my right arm. This hurts! :angry2: Now I won't be able to comb my hair! ;)

This is the first time it's happened to me so, if you know, how long does this take to heal? I gotta shoot next Saturday!

Signed in pain,

:(

Nemo,

If it is a rotator cuff injury, you want to be careful. If you actually tear it, bad things can happen. My doc diagnosed me with "frozen shoulder". It was painful to move it in certain directions, like trying to thread my belt through my pants loops, or close the sunroof on my car by reaching over my head. He gave me some stretches to do and late a shot of cortisone in the joint. It's better, but I think working out 3x a week is helping it more.

Be safe Nemo.

Bruce

Nemo I did this a couple years ago, and again earlier this year. If it doesnt get somewhat better in 2-3 weeks you should go to a doctor. But I would probably give it 4-6 weeks before making that decision. You wont like the discussion about what they want to do to fix it, but I guess that's part of getting older. ;)

After weekend of tree trimming, lawn mowing, weedwacking, garage organizing, ammo loading, etc, etc... At our local match last Saturday I went to pick up my range bag from the ground by the shoulder strap and my shoulder gave me a small crunch. Now I can't barely lift my right arm. This hurts! :angry2: Now I won't be able to comb my hair! ;)

This is the first time it's happened to me so, if you know, how long does this take to heal? I gotta shoot next Saturday!

Signed in pain,

Nemo buddy, if your avatar is any indicator, the hair thing won't be a problem....LOL

Just kidding, hope it get better fast...

Tloop

Yeah, TL! The part about the hair was a joke. And yes 9x25, no ammo production for now, I'll be the production line supervisor.

Next question: Would the recoil of a 172PF 1911 hurt it more? I can always have the kids load my ammo and carry my bag... Actually, right now the shooting related movement that would hurt the most is the draw and indexing of the pistola...

Yeah, TL! The part about the hair was a joke. And yes 9x25, no ammo production for now, I'll be the production line supervisor.

Next question: Would the recoil of a 172PF 1911 hurt it more? I can always have the kids load my ammo and carry my bag... Actually, right now the shooting related movement that would hurt the most is the draw and indexing of the pistola...

I know you really want to shoot, and I am NO doctor, but probably the best thing right now is to rest it for a while...

Get thee to an ortho doc. I hurt my shoulder back in June, thought it was rotator cuff-was not; ended up being a bad case of tendonitis that mimicked some of the same syptoms, and it was caused by overuse. It took ice, some rehab, and moving pretty gingerly for about 12 weeks before it was completely back to normal, but that's a hell of a lot better than the 6+ MONTHS minimum of shoulder surgery. Get it checked out, and then update the verdict. Best of luck to you!

-Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

The shoulder isn't like other joints, or muscle strains. So the typical routines we've found to get us over our aches and pains of life don't work, in fact typically make it worse.

If you've got good insurance, find a good sports medicine orthopedic center. Have them take MRI then you will actually know what kind of injury or degeneration you've got. Without it they are all guessing.

The good news is that alot of it is fixable, bad news is that it is a slow process. I tore mine in two spots under 20% each on tendon that splits and goes under your shoulder blade. It is getting better very slowly, with help of chiro who is keeping me aligned until I can get back to my normal exercise which is swimming. Maybe soon I be able to sratch my A$$ again with that arm.

Signed in pain,

Hermano,

Ice! Ice!! and more Ice!! Along with Advil. That will help. Then have it checked out. I screwed my shoulder up many years ago and instead of taking care of it from the start, I screwed it up even worse. Surgery in 2002 fixed it but it might have been avoided.

See the doctor as soon as possible. I hurt my shoulder about fifteen years ago and I lost about 20% of my strength for bench pressing and military presses. I thought it would heal, but it hasn't happened yet. Rubbing it with a little Ron del Barrilito from the inside will make it feel better.

I tore mine up last november when i fell on my elbow during an indoor match. It's not the first time I've done it and no dr. has ever come with a way to fix it. All I've ever gotten is ' nothing to do but let it heal' and it took months. The last time I did in November, I did not go see a dr. the result is the same. I still have limited strength, mobility and pain.

just my experience.

It's gonna take awhile to heal - if it is a rotator cuff injury, surgery may be required...afterwards I highly suggest putting some work in for strengthening the shoulder joint or you will more than likely be plagued by this kind of injury off and on for awhile.

Without doing a full evaluation on it there is not much anyone can say. Having it checked out by a orthopedic doctor sooner rather than later is a good idea. It might just need some rehab, and unless it's an obvious tear is probably what they would try first. As for recoil, the general answer, or at least my general answer is that if it doesn't hurt your ok, if it does hurt, your are likely worsening your injury. Shooting might be just fine, but carrying your gear might not. Every injury is little different. How long it takes to recover is very individual as well. It will take a lot longer if you continue to aggravate it.

Ugh! These injuries are a real bummer. I injured my rotator cuff in 1981 and didn't go to a doctor when I should have, stupidly thinking it would heal on it's own. It did, but not correctly, and it still gives me trouble to this day (hurting like a bugger right now in fact). I ended up tearing the ligaments in the same should two years ago, probably as a result of the old injuries weakness/imbalance, and from years of compensating for the injury my other shoulder is now arthritic. I would definitely get it looked at and see about getting some physio if appropriate or whatever treatment they suggest. Just don't leave it. Give it time to heal, and then work on strengthening the whole shoulder girdle in a balanced way so that it will be less likely to tear again.

Here's hoping it's just a bad case of muscle stiffness from over-exhertion.....

Be well.

If it is really the rotator cuff, it could be a long time. Go to the doctor and do what they say. They will probably tell you leave it alone. Do not use it and let it heal. I hurt mine in the early 90's and still feel it today. Back then, I know better than the doctors and would not leave it alone. I was having way too much fun paddling white water. Supid youth - Now, I know better.

Good Luck and have a fast recovery.

Oh, regarding the recoil....I never had issues with recoil after I got hurt. It was the draw....bringing the gun up to my eyes was what hurt. Then there was reloading... :angry::o:huh::o:( That would really set it off.

BTW, I don't know if you recall, but I hurt my shoulder at the Fla Open in 2000 when I slipped on that damned dock system....I hit so hard I knocked the Bomar off of my pistol. The gun didn't go off though!!! The RO was standing above me and said, "You are safe. You can continue shooting." :o:surprise: I think my response was, "Yeah, if I can get up!"

What kind of work would you suggest Jake ?

I'd personally recommend pressing, both overhead and bench, deadlifting, dips, and pull-ups...doing the bodyweight exercises on rings to develop stabilization muscles. Full range of motion on all exercises. Out of those I would favor the overhead pressing and dips, working in 1 heavy set of deadlifting every week.

Once again, this is after you have healed.

Signed in pain,

Man, that bites! I had something similar happen when I was 28 and it took me about six months before I finally went to the doc. They put me on some NSAIDs and after a couple of weeks it was back to maybe 90% and then a couple of months until it was really 100%. My advice....get a doc to look at it sooner rather than later. R,

I wrecked mine about 15 years ago. Was a starving graduate student at the time with no insurance so didn't see the doctor. I lost a bit of range of motion and have some junk floating in there that causes me pain now and then. One of these days I'll get brave and have the doc look at it (that and the really junked up ankle I did a couple years before the shoulder).

Get thee to the saw bones and don't do anything he/she tells ya not to or you'll regret it.

Right-io Nemo, go find a doc that will prescribe PT for your shoulder. Next, do said PT and be sure it includes ice massage and ultrasound. After that, find a bikram yoga class. I strained my cuff about two years ago. I would get bursitis anytime I overworked the shoulder (loading lots of match ammo, regular work outs, picking up a gallon of milk - hell, taking of a shirt). I didn't shoot most of last year cause I couldn't lift my arm over my chin. After the PT and doing about 4 weeks of the hot yoga, it all went away. I wouldn't wait a long while because scar tissue will form and that will then have to be worked out. Sooner than later buddy! It's sounds bass-ackwards to work an injured area but a PT will have you work muscles around the area to strengthen them and then have you do some specific exercises on the injured area at a reduced load to prohibit scar tissue. Once you get thru the PT, the hot yoga will help you regain range of motion and lengthen the damaged tissue.

Edited by carinab

Thank you all for the advice. I have an appointment with the ortho doc in TWO WEEKS!! In the meantime it will be rest, heat, light stretching and strenghtening and some 45acp recoil massage. :D

Carina, about the yoga class... :huh: fat ole' Nemo in a yoga class... :surprise: That would be a sight to see! :sick: