Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Female Shooter

SuperP

Hi,

I just came back from the range and I want to make sure I'm not learning any bad habits. This is my first time really practicing the skills involved in practical shooting, and the second time shooting from a holster and with an Open Gun. My husband gave me a bit of critique, but any other tips or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McLrhqadXY

Location looks like MA, and I believe it to cold all the time because everything between there and M-D line SUCKS and in turn draws a consistent north wind........ Just kidding, well partly, sort of.....

Stay smooth, controlled, and consistent, that is what wins. Get some good instruction on movement, you can shave a full second off the box to box drill when you know HOW to move. All in all that is very impressive for the experience level you have.

Location looks like MA, and I believe it to cold all the time because everything between there and M-D line SUCKS and in turn draws a consistent north wind........ Just kidding, well partly, sort of.....

Stay smooth, controlled, and consistent, that is what wins. Get some good instruction on movement, you can shave a full second off the box to box drill when you know HOW to move. All in all that is very impressive for the experience level you have.

Yeah, it is MA and it was pretty chilly late in the day. I don't take offense, because I don't particularly like this state but that's another story altogether!

Thanks for the critique. I know my movement needs work. The only suggestion I got was to keep the gun up and make sure I'm ready to fire when I step into the box. Not sure if there is an actual right way to get from box A to box B as far as footwork, though.

Also, I was told I need to bring my left hand down to meet the draw earlier. And of course my grip sucks sometimes, but I guess that will come with experience. Anything else anyone can come up with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It looks like if you fired more shots, you would do what almost every new shooter does & that is start leaning backwards. Since you only fired a couple rounds it is hard to tell but on almost every place when you fired, you started straightening your body. Normally when I see folks do that, before they fire many more rounds, they are leaning back. That may not be the case but if it is, here is what I suggest they(or you) do. Pardon me for being personal, but stick out your butte a little bit. That will help you build up a resistance to leaning backwards as you fire more rounds. Eventually the butte thing will go away but at first it seems to help counterbalance the reaction people have & helps them build muscle to hold their body in position as they fire more rounds.

Matt Burkett has some exceptional training videos available & he deals with entering & leaving boxes so for some folks, there is a right & a wrong way to move from box to box. His methods keep you from entering the box too fast, or skidding to a stop or just being wrong altogether. He used to have some great pointers on his website, you may want to check that out to see if they are still there. www.mattburkett.com

It looked like you were doing very well, especially for being so new! Keep up the practice & remember to have fun. :D

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

It seems like you are getting good instruction. Stick with that.

I agree with MLM, on the one shot stuff, it seems your stance is more up-right...which would allow that gun to start pushing you back some. Mentally, follow through a bit more there before you let yourself relax after the shot. You should be down into the stance like you are when you entered the shooting box. Just a bit more aggressive.

Speaking of the shooting box, you kinda finished your entry with a little bunny hop. Look to smooth that out.

A couple of quick points... Many open shooters go with ear plugs and ear muffs. Practicing on steel is nice. It gives instant feedback. You want to make sure you get into some paper targets though, with the focus on shooting the A-zone (not just hitting the target).

Fantastic shooting. You are well on your way.

Try attending some matches with Mike. Don't only follow him around. Watch the shooter in other squads as well, particularly on the same stage. That way you'll see the styles that work for a number of people. The styles that don't work well will be immediately apparent.

The Area 7 match will be a good one to watch. Lot's of good shooters, and not too far from home.

Looks like you moved to the other box just right. Plant the far foot, then the near foot, and shoot.

Oh, and you probably know this but, don't wait to HEAR the buzzer. Just hear (or listen for) the START of the buzzer. That tone is .3, so you can save a tenth of a second just on that.

Looking great!

SuperP,

Welcome!

I think for you second time shooting from a holster you look quite comfortable - maybe too comfortable :P

Your husband Mike (aka supermoto) is starting to develope into a good shooter/competitor - don't try to keep up with him yet, you'll have plenty of time to beat him in the future.

Dry firing and doing draws slowly and smoothly would be the best place to start for a good foundation - since you new at this game you have a chance to start with no bad habits.

Good luck - and hopefully we'll see you on a range soon - you might want to go to Harvard on Wednesday nights - very beginner friendly and you'll also be able to run thru a stage or two.

Paul

It is hard to tell from the video and I am sure your instructor has this covered, but... Be sure that finger is out of the trgger guard when you are not engaging a target.

At any rate, you look like you and having fun, and you cetainly look better than I did drawing from a holster my first time. I still have some of the original vidoe of my first match; running around like one of Charlie's Angels.

When is your first match?

Hi,

Thanks for all the good advice. I know that I definitely end up leaning backwards sometimes when I shoot. The "butt idea" is good. It seems very awkward to me to shoot leaning forward into the shot, so that will help me a lot.

As for a match, I need a bit more practice. I'll try the dry firing advice. I did not show my obvious mistakes, but I did have a lot, and I want to feel completely comfortable handling the gun before I'm around a lot of people. Also I'm making silly beginner mistakes, like when I clicked off the safety... I ended up accidentally clicking it back on during the recoil because my thumb was in the wrong place. I was scratching my head for awhile. I kept taking out the mag thinking it was empty. This happened more than once, but I probably shouldn't admit to that!

But it is surprising to me how much I enjoyed the past two weekends I went shooting. Mike's been trying to get me to shoot with him for about 5 years now. He kept telling me I'd like it, but I guess it just took me time to get over my fears. I remember putting one bullet through his open gun this time last year and that was it. We needed to take baby steps to get to where I am at now. Really, it's been 5 years of going a handful of times to the range with him before I was comfortable and actually had fun! So, that gives you all hope for your wives/ girlfriends to shoot with you. That is, if you want them to shoot with you :lol:

Good tip, Jake.

SuperP, dont wait long to shoot a match. Many newbies think that everybody is watching them and judging. They aren't.

Get out there and have fun...soon. Remember that it took you 5yrs and now you are in having more fun than you thought. Same for matches. Get to shooting for the fun. Don't worry about your placement.

If you ever find yourself frustrated or upset, then you will have managed to attach some kind of expectation to your shooting. If you can avoid that, it will always be fun.

Come to Harvard and get on Betsy & Dan's squad :D

the loony tunes that usually sign up for their squad are a good

group to begin shooting with....even if they are loony :P

(and I mean that with the most sincere respect towards the "loony" crew, I know them well)

They're just a bunch of folks that are there to shoot and have fun.

You may not learn how to shoot better but you will learn to shoot within a squad

and learn the things that are expected of a shooter in a squad.

And hey, make sure Mike buys you dinner on the way home ;)

If you ever find yourself frustrated or upset, then you will have managed to attach some kind of expectation to your shooting. If you can avoid that, it will always be fun.

Flex, If I could have learned to apply that to myself 25 years ago, there's no telling how far I could have gone. :rolleyes: