Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production Glocks

I currently shoot a Glock 19 in a local club and am planning on trying my hand at USPSA Production this year. The G19 is OK to start with (and is a great defensive pistol) but it's not exactly what I would want to keep shooting in competition.

As far as I can see, while IPSC has removed the Glock 34 & 35 from the Production list, the USPSA has not, so that means that I will be looking at the G17, G22, G34, and G35. Forgetting for a moment the price and other differences, the longer slide on the G34/G35 would seem to be a distinct advantage over the G17/G22. And I can find a ton of reasons why I should buy a G34/G35 rather than a G17/G22, but I cannot seem to find a good answers to the following:

First I'm going to assume, but am not positive, that the G34/G35 will have less felt recoil and better accuracy than the G17/G22 for the same bullets. If that is true, then, given that Production class is a minor power factor, is there any advantage (accuracy, recoil, performance, etc) between the 9mm and .40 ?

This is kind of a round-about way of trying to compare apples, pears, bananas, and oranges (i.e. too many variables).

Also, as an aside, the USPSA Production list says "C models are allowed providing that the barrel is non-ported and the other requirements are met." Can I assume that means you can use a C model as long as you swap the barrel for a non-ported version?

Thanks in advance.

Are you going to reload? The load you shoot has more to do with felt recoil than the few extra ounces of the 34/35. Some folks swear by the extra 1/2 inch of sight radius, other say you gain nothing. 9 is cheaper the 40 so if you don't reload you can shoot more with the 34. With the 35 you can shoot multiple divisions however, Limited and L-10 at major, and if you reload you can download the 40 to minor. The 34/35 pair are some of the most popular guns in the game. I shoot a G34 in production and a G21 (.45 acp) in L-10.

Bruce

Hello: I started with a Glock 22 and then went to a Glock 34. The instant improvement for me was incredable. The longer sight radius helped me alot. I then bought a Glock 35 and sold the Glock 34 to a friend. That was a mistake on my part. I like the G34 better than the G35 shooting minor loads. The Glock 34 shooting Precision 147's is very accurate and soft shooting. I would buy a Glock 34 and never look back. It will need a little trigger work and a good set of sights and your done. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I started with a Glock 22 and then went to a Glock 34. The instant improvement for me was incredable. The longer sight radius helped me alot. I then bought a Glock 35 and sold the Glock 34 to a friend. That was a mistake on my part. I like the G34 better than the G35 shooting minor loads. The Glock 34 shooting Precision 147's is very accurate and soft shooting. I would buy a Glock 34 and never look back. It will need a little trigger work and a good set of sights and your done. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

And grip tape.Then you're done!

I have so many glocks, I've lost count. 17,24,34,35.... Longer shoots better for me, so I stick with the longer guns. In the end, any can get you there. I would stick to one of 5" or longer, feed it a LOT, and then continue to feed it till you get where you want to be in shooting.

Thanks,

I'm going to start shooting the G19 and I plan on keeping it regardless as it was purchased for defense not sport.

I do reload now and have a nice comfy 9mm load that I shoot in local fun shoots and defense training classes.

My research seems to echo what I see here about 9mm vs .40 (i.e. .40 is more versatile).

So far, the only reluctance I have to the G34/G35 is that they seem to be skirting the edge of Production for some sports. I'm not even sure that GSSF considers them Production and I know that both IPSC and IDPA consider them to be "competition guns" rather than stock.

Again, thanks.

Can I assume that means you can use a C model as long as you swap the barrel for a non-ported version?

Yes.

If you already load for 9mm, then go with the 34. The other advantage of going with the 34 is that you can use the 34 mags in the 19. One of the advantage of shooting a .40 is that it makes a bigger hole. This is good when you are close to the A zone where a 9mm may not break the line while the .40 may. However, this also works against you when you are close to a no-shoot. When you decide to shoot IPSC, then you can pick up a 17 and still use the same mags.

Thanks,

I'm going to start shooting the G19 and I plan on keeping it regardless as it was purchased for defense not sport.

I do reload now and have a nice comfy 9mm load that I shoot in local fun shoots and defense training classes.

My research seems to echo what I see here about 9mm vs .40 (i.e. .40 is more versatile).

So far, the only reluctance I have to the G34/G35 is that they seem to be skirting the edge of Production for some sports. I'm not even sure that GSSF considers them Production and I know that both IPSC and IDPA consider them to be "competition guns" rather than stock.

Again, thanks.

I am currently shooting a 34 in Production. I think you can't go wrong with either though. I am leaning towards a G35 for shooting all divisions in the future, PRO, LIM10, and LIM. Down load like they say for PRO and load Major up for the other 2 and you are good to go. I think the G35 is one of the most universal guns on the market at this point.

I think the G35 is one of the most universal guns on the market at this point.

I think you are right and I'm willing to bet that by next year at this time, I'll have one.

But for now, my decision has sort of been made a lot simpler. I'm going to have a chance this year to shoot local USPSA Production, IDPA Stock, GSSF stock and a tactical combat course. And a fellow I know wants to switch from his G17 to a G22. So, that will give me a G19 and a G17 to shoot for the rest of the year and I can look at moving to .40 in the winter.

Funny how these things just sort of "fall into place" once most of the hard work is done :rolleyes:

I am in the minority in that I prefer the 17/22 sized guns over the 34/35 sized guns. I prefer the balance and handling of the smaller guns and my scores are better.

Edited by Glshooter

I'll go one step further. I shoot a G23 for Production. I started with a 34 then to a 35 (for limited), now I just shoot my carry gun for Production. I prefer the lighter weight and quick pointing of the small gun.

A G19 will work just fine. Unless you just need a reason to buy something new.

Unless you just need a reason to buy something new.

:o After a year or so, you won't even need a reason. I vote you get one of each. Glocks are the Lay's potato chips of guns. You just can't stop at one.

I am in the miority in that I prefer the 17/22 sized guns over the 34/35 sized guns. I prefer the balance and handling of the smaller guns and my scores are better.

I'm in that boat too. The sight radius of the 17 is only a fraction of an inch shorter than the STI Edge I was shooting in LTD, in fact you could lay them top to top, rear sights aligned and the front sights would touch, the 17 being just shorter, plenty long enough for me.

I shot a Glock 34 and then a Glock 22 at a club match last Sunday. Even on the stageso where reloads didn't matter, (mandatory reloads every six rounds) I scored a little better with the .40 than I did with the 9. Part of this is because I shot the 9 first, and major vs minor scoring made some difference. I guess my point is I noticed NO DIFFERENCE in the sight radius or length of the weapon.......... They feel a lot alike. I bought my 34 as a dedicated competition gun, and I love it. That being said, I think I would have loved a 17 just as much at $100 less. Whichever you choose, don't second guess yourself and don't look back......They are all adequate. Flexmoney says "Pick one and practice." :cheers:

I shot a G-34 in Production (for my first 1.5 years of USPSA competition). I added the Charlie Vanek trigger, Dawson Precision Fiber Optic Sights (front and rear) and Grip Tape. It performed flawlessly (and still does). It is more accurate and better balanced than the shorter models.

However, I must confess that I made the switch to the XD Tactical for Production. Though I love Glocks (and own many of them), the XD is far superior in Production. It is extremely well balanced ... but most importantly, with a good trigger job, the trigger is superb! Canyon Creek did the trigger job on my XD. It now feels as close to a 1911 trigger as is possible (considering it is not a single action 1911!). In my opinion, if you are going to get a professional trigger job, the XD is the way to go.

Again, I love the G-34 ... but the XD is my preferred pistol for Production.

• 5 weeks later...
If you go with the 34 (since you reload the 9mm) you can get the "SJC Convertible Compensator Mount" and run all the division (except revo :sick: and L-10)!!!

Just curious, If you loaded your Glock 34 magazines with only 10 rounds, why couldn't you compete in L-10?

with a minor powder factor?

Randy

Edited by Randy C

Randy,

You absolutely can. It's just that you will be scored minor so there is a potential disadvantage. A charlie hit with the 9 is only 3 points vs. 4 with a major caliber. Doesn't bother me much thought and I shoot Limited minor (9mm/G34) all the time. An alpha is 5 pts. , major or minor!

Limited minor is not a bad idea. At least there you can upload the magazines and get a few extra rounds to overcome the scoring differential. Limited 10 Minor is kind of rough. Unless you shoot all A's your fighting an uphill battle.

I too am thinking about shooting a 19 in production. I'm usually a 45 guy and carry a g36 but I've been rethinking the low round count for carry. I like the Idea of competing with a carry gun for "practical" purposes. I've owned a g23 in the past but the sharper recoil bothers me and believe it or not I shoot the 36 better than the 23. How does the g19 handle the steel? I've heard that the shorter barrel may affect muzle velocity enough to cause a problem.

Mule

How does the g19 handle the steel?

The first time I shot poppers was with my usual MG121 rounds. They shoot nice but the steel took it's own sweet time falling - almost like slow motion. Last weekend I shot with some 147gr 9mm from Atlanta Arms. Much better.

And, FWIW, the deal with the G17 fell through so I got a G35 after all. A set of Warren Tactical sights and some TacGrip from Chris Patty and some 180gr .40 minor from Atlanta Arms and I'll be ready to start practicing.

Graham,

I think you're finding out it comes down to personal preference more than anything. I shoot a G34 in Production but have a G22 that can as easily be used (frankly it has better sights). There's a strong argument that can be made that lightly loaded 40's with say a 155gr. or 180gr. bullet would just as nice as a 9mm with a medium (124) to heavy bullet (147). And hey...you get an extra millimeter for cutting scoring lines.

Too, the G22 & G35 will allow you to shoot Limited, L-10, Production and anything in IDPA. Too, it's totally versatile as your pistol in 3-Gun.

So...no real direction other than try them all and go with what feels good. I will say it's easier to go down from a G34/35 to a G17/22 than go up. You can build alternate uppers.

Rich

First I'm going to assume, but am not positive, that the G34/G35 will have less felt recoil and better accuracy than the G17/G22 for the same bullets.

Actually, all else equal being equal, you'll get heavier recoil from a G34/35 than a G17/22 because with the longer barrel you get higher velocities. Of course, all else doesn't have to be equal; with the longer barrel, assuming you handload, you can drop the load and still make the same power factor. Actually, at Minor power factor, minor (pun intended) differences in recoil level aren't all that important. The more experience I've gotten as a shooter, the more I've come to realize that it's how the gun moves and tracks in recoil that's really important, not the amount of recoil and sight movement per se.