Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resident permit only reciprocity states

VARifleman

One thing that just really really gets on my nerves are the few states that have resident permit only reciprocity (IE your permit only works if you have a permit from your home state AND your home state's permit is accepted in the state you'd like to visit). It's gotten on my nerve for a while, but never enough to force a rant. Now that I'm getting married to a girl from South Carolina, and South Carolina has that asinine law, as well as not accepting Virginia permits, I can't carry anywhere in a state which I frequent regularly, and to top it all off, there's no open carry like in my home state of Virginia. It doesn't matter how much training and what not I have, they aren't going to remove the idiotic ban on me carrying a gun in SC. Now why states should have the ability to not recognize any other state's permit, or why permits can "constitutionally" exist at all...is a whole lot longer rant that I don't feel like going into right now. <_<

Agreed. I live in GA and my parents live in SC. SC does not recognize GA concealed permit either.

SC does allow you to have a loaded pistol in an unlocked glove box without a permit BTW.

Until the law changes you will just have to have your wife to be get a permit and let her carry for you.

That's basically what I do when I visit my brother. He has a carry permit, but only ever uses it when I'm in town.

:angry:

Until the law changes you will just have to have your wife to be get a permit and let her carry for you.

She's going to be living in Richmond with me, and she doesn't even have a pistol yet. Although there is some land available I found for 2000. That'd be one heck of a permit cost though... :angry:

Edited by VARifleman

That's basically what I do when I visit my brother. He has a carry permit, but only ever uses it when I'm in town.

So why does't your brother carry when you're not in town? What is he saying? The town is nice and all until you show up? <_<

HR3212 is on the floor of the legislature at this time. In its original form, it would have opened the door to reciprocity with other states not currently recognized by SLED. Unfortunately, a couple of bone-brained senators have added amendments to the original bill that would make it hard for South Carolina to get reciprocity with South Carolina! In its last form there was concern that we would lose reciprocity with others states for which we already have reciprocity. Our grass roots organization has been very active in trying to "correct" the bill. Unfortunately, a lot of politics is involved. However, the primary oponent to reciprocity is up for re-election this year and his biggest openent is a lady who has a CWP and support reciprocity. So, I think the "guy" is toast. Unfortunately, the bill might also be toast. Here is a link to the history of HR3212 if anyone is interested:

http://www.scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3212.html

While this in no way is "legal advice", If it,s concealed how they going to know unless you do something to attract their attention. I have always carried, about 12 years ago it became "legal" to do so, but before that I still carried, and I do mean everywhere. Even in Mexico and South America where it was "forbiden to do so", Maybe I was lucky, and times have definately changed, but if you don't let ANYONE know you are, how they going to know?? KurtM

So why does't your brother carry when you're not in town? What is he saying? The town is nice and all until you show up? <_<

That must be it!

:P

This got me looking at the laws... I was looking over the reason Idaho has for denying a permit. While I was reading the I found this: (cc) cannibalism (18-5003, Idaho Code); I guess the "cannibals" are SOL. :roflol:

Edited by JThompson

While this in no way is "legal advice", If it,s concealed how they going to know unless you do something to attract their attention. I have always carried, about 12 years ago it became "legal" to do so, but before that I still carried, and I do mean everywhere. Even in Mexico and South America where it was "forbiden to do so", Maybe I was lucky, and times have definately changed, but if you don't let ANYONE know you are, how they going to know?? KurtM

Now Kurt. If that kind of thinking were to spread, why, we'd have nothing but Liberty. Pretty soon people would start thinking Free men don't need permission. We would wind up with shoot 'em as you see 'em freestyle matches.

Meanwhile back at the OP; I also hate it one State's permit is not recognized as every others as is the case with driver's licenses and marriage licenses. I must have a hobgoblin in my little mind; I like rules to be consistent (if there have to be rules).

Although there is some land available I found for 2000. That'd be one heck of a permit cost though...

Business opportunity: Buy it, subdivide into one meter square parcels, and place an add in that carry group's magazine to sell the deeds. Of course, this is only a serious suggestion if SC is "shall issue for non-resident property holders", or the land is located in a jurisdiction with a very sympathetic issuing authority.

I was looking over the reason Idaho has for denying a permit. While I was reading the I found this: (cc) cannibalism (18-5003, Idaho Code); I guess the "cannibals" are SOL

And to think I that I had thought the MA ban on permits for persons convicted of failure to report a hotel fire (as opposed to any other kind of fire) was strange.

Meanwhile back at the OP; I also hate it one State's permit is not recognized as every others as is the case with driver's licenses and marriage licenses. I must have a hobgoblin in my little mind; I like rules to be consistent (if there have to be rules).

When I teach the intro course, I tell people that a CCW is "More recognized that gay marriage, but less recognized than heterosexual marriage" - an absolutely true statement.

It is true that concealed means concealed, but at the point that you have to use it, it will be known and it will go against you in homicide proceedings.

This got me looking at the laws... I was looking over the reason Idaho has for denying a permit. While I was reading the I found this: (cc) cannibalism (18-5003, Idaho Code); I guess the "cannibals" are SOL. :roflol:

Crap!!!! I never saw that...I guese I should hand in my permit :blink:

I could stop , but thems good eatin' :popcorn1:

Business opportunity: Buy it, subdivide into one meter square parcels, and place an add in that carry group's magazine to sell the deeds. Of course, this is only a serious suggestion if SC is "shall issue for non-resident property holders", or the land is located in a jurisdiction with a very sympathetic issuing authority.

I was actually considering keeping it for myself and putting a small house or singlewide or something like that as a 2nd home near the inlaws so we wouldn't have to stay there. It's about 30 minutes from their house.

• 4 months later...

Update, SC has accepted reciprocity with VA after a lot of drama. They still don't accept non-resident permits, so while I'm not SOL anymore, I still despise that law. I wish more places would have unlicensed open carry like VA and AZ. Licensed open carry is just pointless in my opinion. While in Fairfax, I can open carry with a 23 round mag, but then I'd have to show my CCW because of their crazy over 20 round law in urban areas. So, I have open carry my Glock 34 with a 19 round mag, and have 23s on my belt.

That must be it!

:P

That's the funniest stuff I've read in a while. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

AL