Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 brass+

Rolex

The FCD is a band-aid for fixing die adjustments that weren't properly set up. It is a post sizing die that will smash the mistakes out of your loaded ammo while it crimps. Not needed or desired. Set your dies right and you will never need or benefit from using one.

What you want is a die that goes as low as possible on the case to take the bulge out, that die is the U-die. You also get the benefit of it being .001" smaller than standard. This increases case tension on the bullet and greatly reduces chances of setback.

The FCD is a band-aid for fixing die adjustments that weren't properly set up. It is a post sizing die that will smash the mistakes out of your loaded ammo while it crimps. Not needed or desired. Set your dies right and you will never need or benefit from using one.

What you want is a die that goes as low as possible on the case to take the bulge out, that die is the U-die. You also get the benefit of it being .001" smaller than standard. This increases case tension on the bullet and greatly reduces chances of setback.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

... Don't some say it *is* the EGW die?...

I've seen that posted a lot. I've seen other posts saying it's not. The posts positing that it's a modified Lee seem consistent in saying that it's "ground down", to get lower on the case I'd guess. Either way, it's different.

I have a SDB, so my dies are the Dillon proprietary ones. I have a single stage set up with a FCD for 9mm after building the ammo ala Dillon. Seems to work pretty well.

If I go for a 650, I'll prolly get an EGW.

KC

edited a burp

Edited by kevin c

The EGW U-Die is a Lee die, but it is made for EGW to EGW specs by Lee. It is NOT available as a Lee die. It is different than any other Lee die.

Good to know, since I bought both the Lee set and an EGW but when I seen Lee on it, I just put it back in the box and on the shelf.

I think I will get it out and install it. :mellow:

DW

Lee also sell undersized dies, I have one that I ordered directly from Lee, in 40/10mm and it's marked U on one of the flats.

FWIW I purchased a Case Pro 100 with die plates for 9mm, 40, and 45ACP.

Edited by RePete

Check out page 59 in the May/June 2008 issue of Front Sight. There is an article about the .40 Gizmo made by Target Arms in Grand River, Ohio. E-mail is Targetarms@sbcglobal.net & the cost is $74.95

I couldn't find an internet address.

I got on here looking for info on the U die. I get anywhere from 5 to 10 per hundred or so that won't pass the case gauge test. I'm running a Dillon 650. Could I decap with my Dillon die in 1, prime and charge in 2, U die in 3, seat the bullet in 4 and FCD in 5? Right now the #3 station isn't being used. Since I have never seen a U die, I don't know what to expect.

The EGW U-Die is a Lee die, but it is made for EGW to EGW specs by Lee. It is NOT available as a Lee die. It is different than any other Lee die.

Sure it it... I bought my first one from from Lee, since then I've bought others from EGW. From Lee, you have to call them, they don't offer it on thier web site.

This post explains it..

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=285205

simply.. it's a Lee die.. there's no such thing as an EGW Die

I got on here looking for info on the U die. I get anywhere from 5 to 10 per hundred or so that won't pass the case gauge test. I'm running a Dillon 650. Could I decap with my Dillon die in 1, prime and charge in 2, U die in 3, seat the bullet in 4 and FCD in 5? Right now the #3 station isn't being used. Since I have never seen a U die, I don't know what to expect.

The U die is simply a size/decap die that is made to slightly smaller dimension.

Your charge in #2 is also belling the case. You could remove the decapping pin, but you would still size the bell down with the rest of the case.

You might be able to move the powder charging to #3, or just replace your size/decap die with the U die.

U-Die in two, powder in three, seat in 4 and crimp in 5. Powder check die is the only one you can trust, the two in the front of your head.

BerKim, it is my understanding that they aren't supposed to sell U-dies direct, that it is an EGW spec die. I could be wrong.

The U die is simply a size/decap die that is made to slightly smaller dimension.

Your charge in #2 is also belling the case. You could remove the decapping pin, but you would still size the bell down with the rest of the case.

You might be able to move the powder charging to #3, or just replace your size/decap die with the U die.

I didn't think about the belling, but I would remove the decapper.

Here's my problem. My rounds drop in the 40SW Midway case gauge just fine. They drop int he Glock factory barrel just fine. In the Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel, it seems that I get about 1 in every match that doesn't go all the way in the chamber, it stops about a tenth or so from full battery and locks the gun up tight. I have to beat the slide open. That round will still drop in the case gauge just fine. I was just wondering if this undersize die would take care of this. Right now I am using a Dillon decapper die.

One other question... When I put the powder measure in station 3, what do I need to do about the return rod? Do I just work it at an angle over to where it hooks up and pulls the rod down?

Edited by Mr. Chitlin

Here's my problem. My rounds drop in the 40SW Midway case gauge just fine. They drop int he Glock factory barrel just fine. In the Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel, it seems that I get about 1 in every match that doesn't go all the way in the chamber, it stops about a tenth or so from full battery and locks the gun up tight. I have to beat the slide open. That round will still drop in the case gauge just fine. I was just wondering if this undersize die would take care of this. Right now I am using a Dillon decapper die.

You need to find out why those rounds don't fit in the chamber. If the bullet is seated crooked, or bulges the case, the U die won't help. If you have bad brass, that has been loaded hot, and fired in an oversize chamber, it won't help. The U die will fix glocked brass better than the Dillon die, if that is your problem.

You need to find out why those rounds don't fit in the chamber. If the bullet is seated crooked, or bulges the case, the U die won't help. If you have bad brass, that has been loaded hot, and fired in an oversize chamber, it won't help. The U die will fix glocked brass better than the Dillon die, if that is your problem.

got the u die- it is made by Lee- to EGW standards- lets see how it works.