Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open or Area 6 2009?

I saw that area 6 in 2009 wil be held in Covington GA April 17-19.

If I must choose one match which one should I attend Florida Open or Area 6?

I have been to Florida Open twice and liked it a lot. But from what I heard is Area 6 a "good one"!

Thanks for the honest answer, but as I have to choose one and one only, is it indeed a tough choice!

The cost for a trip like this is about $ 3000-4000!

Airfare rental car and lodging,and not to forget ammo,makes it a "once a year thing", for me!

It breaks down in something like this airfare Stockholm-Orlando with SAS and American about $1100-1300.

Rental car for two weeks anywhere from $600-1000. Lodging, anywhere from $50-100/night.Then is the cost of gas and food and ammo. Ammo must be obtained locally as it is impossible to take that much ammo on a plane not to mention getting it into the US.

Is it money well spent? YES YES and YES! I just wish that I could afford to do it more often! :D

Edited by ALF

This would be a tough choice.

Both draw several hundred shooters and this year both had 12 stages.

So the size of the match is about the same.

Each event is a quality match, but if I could only do one, I think it would be Area 6.

Why?

Well, the match in Florida is in February, which means the weather may be absolutely gorgeous and it may not.

Weather in Atlanta in April/May is usually pretty good if you are lucky enough to avoid the occasional rain shower.

Also, the A6 match fee is cheaper. $225 vs $160 US.

Thats not a lot of money but if you're traveling from Europe, every little bit helps.

You've already been to Fla (twice).

Try something new.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Where are you buying your ammo locally?

Tony

Normally will I get my ammo (9 Major or 40S&W)from some friends at Dillon in Scottsdale. But this time was I thinking about Atlanta Arms.

I have shot Florida Open twice thats true, other matches that I have shot during the years in the US is:

FIPT 92,93,95,and 98. Area 2/Desert Classic 94,95,96,98 and 2005.

Western States(in Reno)94.And of course local matches in FL,AZ,and CA

I didn't shoot the Open this year because I had to travel for work instead. Both matches are great, the Open you will shoot long shots and low hit factor stages. Plus if you’re lucky you can shoot against Max or Eric Grauffel in the shoots off too. Talk about pure adrenaline…

I also shot AREA 6 this year, great match, lots of great shooters, great staff and the stages were good, the targets were a lot closer compare to the Open. Both matches are World Class...

DVC,

Sandro

Edited by Sandro

I must confess that Area 6 is tempting to say the least. I just looked at Delta Airlines website and found that they fly non-stop from Stockholm to Atlanta, for about $1000.

It is a new match(for me) and as I never have been to GA before why not?

I will think long and hard about this.

Thanks for all the info guys, now is it time to go to bed well almost (it is just after 9 pm in my neck of the woods)! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the honest answer, but as I have to choose one and one only, is it indeed a tough choice!

Airfare rental car and lodging,and not to forget ammo,makes it a "once a year thing", for me!

It breaks down in something like this airfare Stockholm-Orlando with SAS and American about $1100-1300.

Rental car for two weeks anywhere from $600-1000. Lodging, anywhere from $50-100/night.Then is the cost of gas and food and ammo. Ammo must be obtained locally as it is impossible to take that much ammo on a plane not to mention getting it into the US.

Is it money well spent? YES YES and YES! I just wish that I could afford to do it more often! :D

If you decide to come to Area 6 and desire to use the match ammo program from Delta Precision, it is not a problem. If you would like to get it from Danny at Atlanta Arms and Ammo, I am sure he will make it available on your arrival or drop it off at the range so you have it at registration. If you want to ship ammo to us and have it at the range when you arrive, I will make that happen for you.

Knowing Frank Garcia, I am sure he would do the same for you.

Both are great matches. The Florida Open tends to be almost exclusively the long courses and can have a good deal of them be memory courses. The Area 6 tends to have more of the traditional mix of short, long, medium stages but with a very high round count.

If you decide to come to Area 6 and desire to use the match ammo program from Delta Precision, it is not a problem. If you would like to get it from Danny at Atlanta Arms and Ammo, I am sure he will make it available on your arrival or drop it off at the range so you have it at registration. If you want to ship ammo to us and have it at the range when you arrive, I will make that happen for you.

Knowing Frank Garcia, I am sure he would do the same for you.

Both are great matches. The Florida Open tends to be almost exclusively the long courses and can have a good deal of them be memory courses. The Area 6 tends to have more of the traditional mix of short, long, medium stages but with a very high round count.

Not to change the subject too much but just an idea I forgot to mention on my registration sheet this year. How about having a shoot off at Area 6?

I must confess that Area 6 is tempting to say the least. I just looked at Delta Airlines website and found that they fly non-stop from Stockholm to Atlanta, for about $1000.

It is a new match(for me) and as I never have been to GA before why not?

I will think long and hard about this.

Thanks for all the info guys, now is it time to go to bed well almost (it is just after 9 pm in my neck of the woods)! :rolleyes:

I would choose Frank's match over A6. I have shot both matches over the last several years and I would take Frank's match hands down. Some people dont like Frank's style but for the time of year its held, there is nothing going on anywhere else, It mostly field courses and there are generally harder shots even though the are wide open targets.

I have been able to shoot both in 2006 and 2007. I shot the Open again this year but couldn't make A6 due to having to attend the wedding of a friend in Wisconsin that weekend. I will continue to shoot both as often as I possibly can. That said, if I could only pick one it would definitely be the Open. That match is a hoot!

Edited by XD Niner

I JUST FINISHED AREA 6....THE RANGE IS AWESOME, AND THE STAGES ARE WELL DESIGNED.

THE FLORIDA OPEN SEEMS MORE CHALLENGING IN TERMS OF LONG FIELD COURSE STAGE DESIGN AND THE FACT THAT THEY DO NOT POST ANY STAGES PRIOR TO YOU SHOOTING THE STAGE.

I'LL BE DOING BOTH NEXT YEAR. IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE FLORIDA OPEN COULD BE A USPSA SANCTIONED EVENT.

I am leaning more and more towards Area 6. Nothing wrong with Florida Open but it would be fun to try something new.

About ammo then I have already been in contact with Atlanta Arms and it was ok to come by and pick it up.

I will make my decision during the summer then comes the fun part. Getting the import permit.

The last couple of times has it only taken about three weeks to get the permit, which is quick by any standard.

Last would I like to thnak all the nice people who have been so kind to offer advice. Thanks guys!!!! :)

Edited by ALF

ALF,

If you wanted to try something new, instead of A6 OR FL open, go to the double tap championship. THAT was an awesome match....

I tried the FL open for the first time this year, as well as the DTC. I'll be headed back to the DTC next year.

Definitely A6...The match was deceptively tough...long,wide open shots on hardcover targets,plain targets, speed shoots, it's usually got it all.

DaG

Not to change the subject too much but just an idea I forgot to mention on my registration sheet this year. How about having a shoot off at Area 6?

We used to do one but if we did we would have to cut out a stage which would not be as good for eveyone. We had declining interest in the shootoff and that is the other reason it went away.

One of the things I would have really liked to do this year was set up a steel challenge side match but Glock stepped up and gave us a couple of guns and wanted to bring one of their GSSF stages. Since they set it up, took it down, provided the pistol, the ammo, the prize and the RO, it was pretty hard to tell them "no thanks".

While we could have perhaps used the bullseye range at the top of the hill, there was not enough steel left over to set it up (remeber Fields of Steel) and we used this range on Saturday for the NSSF First Shots Program.

There is also a rush to get home on Sunday since we have so many shooters come from far away.

If we set up a shoot off on Friday evening prior to the match, would you guys/ladies be interested?

Charles Bond

Edited by Charles Bond

ALF

I've been to the open once and A6 twice. While Frank puts on a great match A6 has to be my favorite. It has something for everyone, the people, COF's. the range and the area are just great. I think you'll love it if you decide to make it next year. Look me up if you come I'll be going back

• 3 months later...

Well I just made my choice it will be Florida Open "again" mainly because the time of year.February in Stockholm can be cold with lots of snow. It is much better being in Fl enjoying the sun, than look at the snow falling outside.