Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ALMOST THREW 650 THRU THE WINDOW.....

My 650 case feeder used to jam about once every 100rds. (I have the older style case feeder.. it doesn't have the brass looking side I see in the catalog now).  The 40S&W rounds are getting stuck sideways in the funnel that is inbetween the drop and the tube.  NOW, this is happening like once every 20 rounds.  It is getting pretty frustrating.  I called Dillon, and they said just to polish the inside.  I tried, but it doesn't seem to be helping.........  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Strange, I have the old style case feeder like you and i have never had this happen with 40's and I load quite a bit of them.  About the only thing I can think of that is different is that I have the big spacer washer installed on my large feedplate.  This basically holds the case further up and could possibly be holding the case different when it is at its apex before it drops so it drops straigh in.  This might be keeping the case from flipping into the funnel?  

I installed the spacer because I found it works better when I load .44's and I don't know if I have ever loaded 40's without it?  It is worth a try as it take no time to install.

Intel6,

I tried the white spacer a couple of times.  Not much luck with it either.  If I rember correctly, the manual says it is only for short cartridges like the 9mm.  Thanks for the idea though... I will try it again.  I hope someone else has had this specific problem and can help.......

are the cases flipping sideways and stacking up in the clear plastic funnel? If so, then there could be two causes;first, there are two sizes of clear plastic funnels, one for standard cases, and a wider one for 45/70 and belted magnum cases. Your funnel opening at the top should measure about 1.730" x .840", and the bottom hole is about .540". Be sure you are using the slow speed on the motor. If you have the correct funnel, contact Dillon and ask for the 9MM baffle that reduces the dimensions on the clear funnel.

I just opened up the hoel inteh white plastic piece so that the rounds have more room/time to fall before making contact and getting stuck.  Also - when the case feeder is full you can use high speed.  When the case feeder is near empty you get less hangups running at low speed.

I had the same problem until I ran a brace from the wall over to the tubing that holds the case feeder. Evidently pulling the handle to reload was shaking the case feeder around a little bit but enough to disrupt the process.

40 Major,

Call me, 1 877 219-5598 (it's toll free), and I'll hook you up with someone at Dillon who'll give you a return authorization number and they will fix it or replace it. Maybe even with the new style.

I had a quite a few problems with the old style case feeder, in 40, as well. The new one works massively better.

be

Thanks Brian (and everybody else)....

I'll do that.  I'll have to get ambitious and load up a couple thousand rounds first.  Do you know long is the turn-around usually is on something like that?

BTW..... I really liked your first book.  It really got me interested in sports psychology and Zen.  I now have my own collection of golf and Bruce Lee books.....  (no, I don't play or do Jeet Keen Do).  I am really looking forward to your new book.

Thanks again

I second 2alphas comment.  I was having the same problem with my 1050.  Cases would get stuck sideways in the funnel about every 20 rounds while I was loading, but in testing would run hundreds of rounds through without failure until I shook the case feeder.  Whoops!

I added a big steel plate to my bench top and bolted the press to the steel plate.  No more jammed cases!

I have the same problem once in a while loading 9mm on my 1050. It only seems to happen when the brass hopper is getting low. I have a pair of tweezers to remove the piled up brass quickly. Then I load the hopper and everything goes OK.

Bill Nesbitt

Hey 40major

I have the exact same setup (a 650 that is 10yrs old) and was giving me the exact same problems with 40.

To fix the problem I installed a white peice of nylon or delrin with a hole through it that actually fills the funnel area to just above the cut off switch. This adapter came from Dillon some years ago but I can't remember if it came with a conversion kit for another caliber or what but what it does is sort of extends the drop tube all the way up to the hole where the case feeder drops into the funnel.

When you install this thing it looks like the cases don't get enough time to fall out of the case feeder and get into the tube without getting bound up in the feeder plate because all that free drop from the case feeder to the funnel is gone.  

This is really hard to explain in writing but if you are interested E-mail me and we can exchange phone numbers and see if I can make this any clearer.

Og

case feeder shake causes a bunch of trouble. not all of the problem here, but this should help, get the loader stable on the bench(strong mt. helps) then cut the tube that holds the case feeder about 6in or until the case feeder just touches the radius in the bend of the pipe, cut the feed tube a like amount. This takes a lot of shake out, and you don't need a stool to get cases in the thing                             Larry