Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Boys 1st match

Darianis

I don't know who is more excited me or him :-) He is 13 and about to shoot his 1st USPSA match. He has been practicing as much as his mom will let him. He will be shooting an M&P 40 in limited. Everyone wish him luck. I'll post his results tomorrow.

Congratulations. I expect he will have a wonderful time. He will remember this one.

And Dad, if I can remind you, since I have been there, let the motivation be his own. If it remains his motivation than the joy of it all goes with him. And Dad gets to share a bit of that and watch a young man develop. It's a grand thing.

He shot a great match. He was very safe and had great gun handling skills. His trigger work still needs some work but that will come with more practicing. He told me after his first stage taht he was a bit nervous and had a case of the jitters heh. He wanted to know when that stops ... I told him When it does I'll stop competing hehehe. Over all totally positive match and I can't wait till next month.

I'll have the vid soon my buddy is pulling it now. I'll post when I get it.

had some trouble with the vid but this stage turned out great. He ran it slow and steady and got great hits. He had 2 C's and one D. The rest were all A's! That's my boy!!

That's cool stuff. Congrats to you and him.

My Pop started me in this game years ago. When I joined the Army, I stopped shooting pistols and after carrying an M-60 for a couple of years, I wasn't interested in shooting for a while. Years later, and here I am back in this thing and it is something that my father and I still talk about over the phone. He even checks my match scores online.

You are starting something big in his life. Many of his friends will have no clue as to what he is doing and accomplishing, but you and he will. I think that that link of practical pistol shooting has created a bond between my father and I that will last us all of our lives. All that time we have spent shooting and competing together I will never forget.

My first rifle, pistol, holster, speed loaders, auto, competition, win, he was there for all of it. Now as a new USPSA member and reborn reloader, he and I talk all the time about loads, powder, etc. etc.

Be proud not only of your son, but of the fact that you are willing to share this with him. He will cherish it alot, some now, more as he grows up, and even more when he is a father.

JZ

There is no way that a guy can explain how he feels when one of his children starts shooting. Even now, after more that a year and many competitions, I get a huge kick out of watching my daughter shoot. She Started at 13 and is now 14, she shoots "C" class, standard gun. Congrats about your boy, that is the only way we will grow the sport.

:cheers: Great job Dad!!! Too many parents these days are content to exchange a pasifier for an xBox so they dont have to bothered by their children...its awesome that you are willing to invest the time to help him grow as a person and a citizen. Hats off to both of you!!!!

Don't wait too long. My son started when he was 9. Shot his first Nationals when he was 9 along with 3 other major matches that year and didn't finish last in any of them. The help he is given, the friendships gained, the discipline, the skills, the thrills----you just can't find that in any other sport. Start them as young as you feel comfortable with. :)

That was as better than watching a GM rip through a stage. There is only one first time... thanks for sharing it with us. I was smiling ear to ear.

JT

Exactly my thoughts! That was great! Brings back a lot of memories from when my boys started, 4 years ago. Cherish it and congrats to both of you!

:cheers:

I started my boy shooting when he was 12, ISSF style (my club starts all new shooters that way).

Before that he came along to the range with me from about age 8 (I re-joined pistol shooting after a 10 year break in 2001).

He started shooting IPSC when he was 13 and now at 16 he is pushing me along! He is faster on the draw & on the trigger but still has some issues with accuracy. I can generally keep pace with him on anything more accuracy based, but if it's a "hoser" he generally gives me a kicking!

I can see real potential in him; his re-loads are amazingly fast and some of the shots he makes can be really impressive.

Jimmyzip, you are right about his friends, most of them have no clue about what he does or the enjoyment we both get out of it. I actually am not sure if he even understands what is happening with our relationship, but I know there are lot of other fathers out there in my community that don't spend enough time with their boys.

My daughter started shooting last year. She enjoys ISSF and shooting in general but has a lot more "stuff" going on, netball, dancing, swinmming. Cannot wait till she does her holster course, though! I'm hoping the different challenges of IPSC will entice her!

Yeah, my dad started me when i was 14 or so, and now that i'm 16, it has gotten better every time i pull the trigger. I just graduated highschool 2 years early (just last week was my last day) so that i could have a flexible schedule for shooting (ETA and to go to college earlier, which is as important as shooting if not more ). USPSA is my favorite thing in the world and i hope your son will love it as much as i do. I've made so many friends and mentors in the mere 1 ½ years i've been shooting. Even though none of my schoolmates or "peers" really understand the sport, it is definitely worth it to "alienate" myself for something that i love (ETA that just using a firearm for sporting purposes alienates us from the prevalent liberal teachers and their sheep-like student followers --- so not many "peers" at school anyway). It is really a great way that i bond with my dad every time we go out, or are at home loading ammo/practicing. I think that what your doing for your son is a wonderful thing, that he will grow to appreciate more and more. And honestly there aren't enough of us juniors around ;)

Someone's gotta keep the sport alive, and if it isnt us, then who is it? B)

Good luck to both you and your son!

Have fun

-Nick

Edited to clarify coupla things before my dad reads this :roflol:

Edited by little_kahuna