Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Testing the Nikon D300

AikiDale

For nearly two years now I've thought it would be great to catch an image of muzzle flash with no luck. Catching brass in the air is easy. Catching the slide moving back with smoke in front of the gun shots are a dime a dozen. Today I got two shots with muzzle flash. Which do you like better:

Number one?

post-2337-1207523623.jpg

or number two?

post-2337-1207523660.jpg

Dale, no offense, but... did you even look at the first one??? :D Its a tad out of focus... :D

#2 wins for more than one reason (though shooting technique is definitely not one of them) :D

Dale, no offense, but... did you even look at the first one??? :D Its a tad out of focus... :D

Of course, the thought has occurred to me that you might be stacking the deck, too.... :lol:

Of course, the thought has occurred to me that you might be stacking the deck, too.... :lol:

Would you believe I was trying to get a good shot of the weeds and that shooter got in the way? :D

My camera is smarter than I. The D300 has several auto focusing options from spot to something called 3D tracking with variables from one to 51 points of focus. I don't quite have them all figured out yet. :blink: To make matters worse, I was not only trying different options, I was "trusting" the autofocus to actually focus on the subject rather than the background. :D

I have another shot of a pistol in recoil, slide in motion, brass in the air, and you can see it's a KKM Precision barrel. :)

#2 wins for more than one reason (though shooting technique is definitely not one of them) :D

This was this young lady's very first match. I suspect she has about 60 suggestions to improve her grip to work on. :D

post-2337-1207611863.jpg

This is an extreme crop and then reduced quality to upload. It doesn't do the original justice. No post processing other than to reduce its quality and crop. I think I'm gonna love this camera. :wub:

Edited by AikiDale

Very cool photos!! The Lady has her eyes open - that is good but who taught that grip? She needs to learn how to hold the firearm correctly! :P

Edited by KGentry

FYI: That's one of our shooters' sister.

Be nice. B)

Dale: Is that muzzle flash in the first pic, or is it brass flying? Looks like it's focused on the woods behind the shooter. Nice camera!

Steve

Edited by Surge

FYI: That's one of our shooters' sister.

Be nice. B)

Dale: Is that muzzle flash in the first pic, or is it brass flying? Looks like it's focused on the woods behind the shooter. Nice camera!

Steve

Trey needs to help sis with her grip. The first pic was shot with a continuous auto focus which focused on the background rather than the shooter as I released the shutter obviously. I'd complain about it but I suspect I need more practice. :blush:

It could very well be a blurry piece of brass reflecting the sunlight, but it wouldn't have been nearly as funny if I had asked which do you like best, a blurry picture of a piece of brass or.... :lol:

#2, but I like the Weeds in #1 ;) ;)

Is that the same thing as "grass"?

It depends if you roll it or not!!

In PR they called rolled grass a "gallo".

Edited by Big Guy

post-2337-1207611863.jpg

This is an extreme crop and then reduced quality to upload. It doesn't do the original justice. No post processing other than to reduce its quality and crop. I think I'm gonna love this camera. :wub:

cool blaster, but how the heck can you feel the trigger with that part of your finger?

post-2337-1207611863.jpg

cool blaster, but how the heck can you feel the trigger with that part of your finger?

Don't know, not my finger.... :)