Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Black Bullet in 40

hf219

Im very interested in trying the Precision 40 black bullet in 185. I tried the search function and havent found any info on the product that is current. Just trying to get a better idea on whether or not to purchase some. I did see on a recent post that they were back ordered at the present time. Im looking for opinions on smoke/ accuracy/ loading data/ loading problems if any/ suggestions on loading if different from jacketed. I appreciate any comments. The pricing looks very good, Ill be using TG for powder, loading long for an STI 5". Thanks, H.

Im very interested in trying the Precision 40 black bullet in 185. I tried the search function and havent found any info on the product that is current. Just trying to get a better idea on whether or not to purchase some. I did see on a recent post that they were back ordered at the present time. Im looking for opinions on smoke/ accuracy/ loading data/ loading problems if any/ suggestions on loading if different from jacketed. I appreciate any comments. The pricing looks very good, Ill be using TG for powder, loading long for an STI 5". Thanks, H.

Precisions work well and the price is pretty good considering the alternatives, but they can be a little smokey. I've loaded them with both TG and W231; my non-scientific opinion is that W231 is a bit less smokey than the TG. Accuracy has always been very good for me - 2" - 2.5" group at 25 yards. I'd recommend finding a shooting buddy who uses these bullets and getting a handful to test for yourself before making a big buy.

The load I normally use w/ Precision 185s is 4.8gr W231, WSP, OAL 1.190" - this gives me a 169PF out of my P16-40.

I've switched to MG 180gr CMJs with VV N320 for match use, primarily due to the smoke.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Switched over a month ago and went through a case so far. Very happy with the product, could not even

notice the difference when shooting. I have tried several powders and TG by far smokes the most, not as bad as

TG and exposed lead, but not something your going to be shooting indoors. From recomendations off this forum I

found that WST is the least smoking powder and with a little testing you can get the feel pretty close to TG.

The only difference for me reloading was that a small % of the bullets (being soft) would not seat sqare in the case

causing a sticky cartridge during case guaging. Crooked bullet would be touching the lands on one side, could easily

solve that with a seating die better matched to the bullet profile. I shoot these with no problems for practice with very

minor leading and overall the barrel is lead free but you do get a grey build up (poss. burning coating) and I have been

cleaning the barrel more often just in case, every 300rnds or so instead of every 1500rnds, I now I'm lazy!!

The major problem is that through all this praise and word of mouth advertising, Dave has no bullets and everything is

backordered, but when he says 4 weeks rest asured you'll probably have them in 4 weeks and 3 days!!!

I have been shooting his 185 for years now. I prefer to use VV N320. I usually shoot outdoors so I have not noticed any smoke. If you do not know anyone local that shoots them that would be willing to let you borrow some for testing, then call David he has small quanities for sale for people that just want to try them before they order large amounts. I know David personally and I know that he is working his butt off to catch up, it is just that with some other bullet companies going under and the prices of materials going through the roof his orders have doubled recently with people trying to stock up. He will catch up soon. Give him a call, he will be more than happy to answer any of your questions. As stated above, if he says he will ship in 4 weeks, you will get it in 4 weeks and 3 days from your irritated postal employee.

Cant 100% say for precisions, but I have been shooting master blaster Moly, for 2 years now. I think they are great. Alot of guys at our club shoot them exclusively too. I have used Power pistol, VV n320, Solo 1000, and clays with them. The Solo has been the best from a smoke standoint. I use 4.3 grns with a 180 grn bullet. I have seen alot of guys use tightgroup, but i would not recomend it, I am talking serious clouds, about the worst powder i have seen for moly. I just ordered 1000 Precision 147's for my wifes 9, I think i will be using solo 1000 for them. Good luck with them. oh, as matter of accuracy, I have been trying to get my wife to work on her trigger pulling speed, so I demonstrated a drill I wanted her to do, I had her rest the gun on the bench and pull the trigger smooth and just concentrate on sights and smooth pull. Well i demonstrated this with my SV with AET barrel first. At about 20 yards. The 5 shot group I shot with the Master blasters were easily covered with 1 pastie. I has no idea they were that accurate of a bullet. What else can you ask for?

I've shot a bunch of the 185's in my GLOCK G24. My favorite load for major was 4.4gr. of N320, Winchester primers, mixed brass and an AOL of 1.132. I would take that out to at least 1.170 for the STI.

I would definitely stay away from Titgroup with the Moly's. Lots of smoke. Very little smoke with N320. 1 1/2" accuracy at 25yards with my G24 with a KKM barrel. No feeding issues of any kind. Very consistent in weight. Just not as clean and a little smokier than jacketed. My experience is the same as FullAutoShooter's comments above.

Great bullet, and David Long is a good guy to do business with. I understand he is getting "caught up". He has been slammed since Masterblaster went south.

Edited by baerburtchell

When I'm not shooting open, the only bullets I use are Precisions. I shoot the 165 gr in .40 and 200 gr in .45. Contrary to what some others do, I use TiteGroup exclusively. Yes is does smoke. But if you are looking for an economical load ( and you probably wouldn't have started this thread if you weren't), titegroup and precisions are the way to go.

If I weren't trying to keep my expenses down, it would be Montana Gold bullets with V320 powder in new Starline brass...We can dream can't we :rolleyes:

The smoke is a bit intense indoors if the ventilation is not adequate, but outside, unless you are shooting directly into the sun on a morning with 200% humidity, you scarcely notice it. :)

JMHO

dj

edited to attempt to fix my grammar and punctuation. :surprise:

Edited by dajarrel

If I weren't trying to keep my expenses down, it would be Montana Gold bullets with V320 powder in new Starline brass...We can dream can't we :rolleyes:

:lol: If I weren't trying to keep expenses down it would be that combo and someone else would load them !!!

Atlanta Arms maybe :wub: , oh we can dream!!

I use 4.5 VVN320 @ OAL of 1.135 for 930 fps w/ Precision 185's. This gives a 172 PF out of a G35. A little smoke indoors, but its not noticeable outside. It takes 4.7 to get the same PF with a 180 Raineer. The Precision just feel softer (to me anyway).

I use the 185 Precision and 4.6 gr. Titegroup. 1.210 OAL 170PF in my SV

They are smoky but I only use them only for practice and use Jasketed for matches.

Saves money and they are a nice bullet.

Good Luck

I believe Precisions are excellent bullets, as were Masterblasters, Bear Creek, etc, but I'm done with 'em.

They are cheaper. The powder needed for smoke-free rounds, like n320, is not, however. The other powders like Solo or Ramshot I have no experience with, and/or are hard to find. I do not like shooting Titegroup with moly bullets. I have no idea where all that smoke is coming from -- burning moly? Is that safe to inhale?

Finally, they aren't immediately available.

A case of Montana Gold 180 JHP's costs dearly, yet the bullets are excellent, and work beautifully with Titegroup. So while the MG's run ~$20/k more, it's more like only $12/k if you figure in the powder savings (n320 vs. TG).

So it costs $3 or $4 more for a major match to shoot a premium bullet.

I'd have to agree with Boo.

I save my MGs or Armscor JHP/FMJs for matches and shoot PB or even lead bullets for

practice now. I still like to go out on Firdays and shoot 500 rounds. With lead and N320 I can still make rounds for under a dime a round but the jacketed bullets alone are costing that or more now.

I tried TG for the practice rounds and it's OK but I have ALOT of N320.

+1 to comments by Boo and Mick.

I really like the PBs, they are great bullets. That said I use them for local matches and practice only... and use Montana Gold JHPs for bigger matches. JHPs+TG=smokefree accurate orgasmic shooting ecstasy

If you are tied to TG then be advised that PBs will smoke... a lot. I use WST powder with the PBs and they hardly smoke at all. I've read that Solo is another non-smoky powder, but I haven't tried it myself. N320 is the absolute best IMO... but cost is higher and I am too cheap.

If you are considering using WST, reccomend you do a search and learn about its quirks. These quirks are the reason I use Montana Gold/TG for important matches and relegate the PB/WST loads to local matches and practice. WST is inversely temperature sensitive... and you will need to load near or at book max to make major power factor. Some folks report erratic SD and ES.

Specs for my current practice load (ymmv, start low and work up, all normal disclaimers apply):

170 grain Precision Bullet

R-P or Winchester cases

4.9 grains WST

WSP primers

1.135 COAL

crimp 0.418

PF 168-175 in my guns depending on temperature

loaded on Dillon 550 with EGW-U die at station 1, all other dies are Dillon

• 1 month later...

Looking through this thread and others I found something common with moly bullets, a lot of people using VV powders. This is something I find kind of funny, you save money on the bullets only to buy the most expensive powder :roflol: I'm not picking on anybody I just found it kind of funny.

Cant 100% say for precisions, but I have been shooting master blaster Moly, for 2 years now. I think they are great. Alot of guys at our club shoot them exclusively too. I have used Power pistol, VV n320, Solo 1000, and clays with them. The Solo has been the best from a smoke standoint. I use 4.3 grns with a 180 grn bullet. I have seen alot of guys use tightgroup, but i would not recomend it, I am talking serious clouds, about the worst powder i have seen for moly. I just ordered 1000 Precision 147's for my wifes 9, I think i will be using solo 1000 for them. Good luck with them. oh, as matter of accuracy, I have been trying to get my wife to work on her trigger pulling speed, so I demonstrated a drill I wanted her to do, I had her rest the gun on the bench and pull the trigger smooth and just concentrate on sights and smooth pull. Well i demonstrated this with my SV with AET barrel first. At about 20 yards. The 5 shot group I shot with the Master blasters were easily covered with 1 pastie. I has no idea they were that accurate of a bullet. What else can you ask for?
This is nuts.I dont get it.Why does 180gr Beaver creek molly with 4.3gr of TG and 180gr Silver State LEAD with 4.5gr of TG not smoke,never smoked dont know how to get it to smoke so why does my gun not smoke when everyone and their brother on this forum says different.Laser cast however is another story.Got to be a reason .Something is not right.

Ok so to give anyone that has never used them, an idea of the amount of

smoke. Now remember that I'm shooting the 155's at Major around 1100+

so mine probably smoke a lot more then 180's... :huh:

The WST smoke is less noticable when shooting cause it does not hang around as much ...

WST

Tight Group

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Maybe its just me, I see some smoke happening in the videos. Although to me a smoke problem is were when the second shot and subsequent shots are about to break the smoke skews the field of vision. That smoke seemed to disappear before the second shot was ready to go. Ive seen PPC shooters with lead bullet heads shooting out of revo's fill the air like a smoke grenade just went off. If thats all the smoke you may see then its really not all that bad. Thanks for the video's it gives a better outlook as to what and how much smoke you are talking about. Thanks H.

If that's all the smoke you may see then its really not all that bad. Thanks for the video's it gives a better outlook as to what and how much smoke you are talking about. Thanks H.

That's my point exactly... I just said screw it and I am using TG now with them.

N320 smokes as much as anything else(except titegroup)

accurate number 7 smokes the least ive seen but has a nasty recoil impulse for a limited gun.

FWIW, ive had good results with WST, WSF and 231

Harmon

I'm still shooting masterblasters with ramshot competition and it smokes a little, but I rarely am in a situation to notice it. Only once, shooting multiple rounds thru a port with the sun in front of me, did the smoke force me to stop and wait a second before I could see the last target. I was really surprised because that has never happened in 3 years of using this powder/bullet combo. Overall, I'm very pleased with moly and plan to stick with it whether it's Precision or Bear Creek. Too bad masterblaster closed up shop.

I would suggest you buy a case and try them with your favorite powders and any loads you wish to try and then KNOW for yourself how they perform.

A thousand people will have a thousand opinions. Only your's counts when it's you behind your own gun.

• 5 weeks later...