Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga ?

1911vm

Ok so know I have one :cheers:. And know I have questions.

1st who offers mod’s for Saiga that are good and I do not need to wait ½ year – 1 year or more.

2nd who has 10rnd. mags

this should be fun.

Vladimir

Thanks to both of you but I do not want to wait to 09 that even sounds wrong. it should not be that way. I wish Benny Hill would do this work.

PS if any one that does mod,s is reading this please contact me. Thanks

Edited by 1911vm

You can do the conversion yourself it is really simple even I was able to do it. You are gonna need some chokes for three gun, polychoke works well for me. Mine ran perfect right out of the box.

I did my own conversion too. All you really need is a hand drill and some handtools. A Dremel and a TIG welder will let you do a more perfect cosmetic job, but are not necessary for a functional PG conversion. Doing your own conversion will also make you conversant enough with the design that you can make your own modifications - the Saiga 12 is a gun that cries out for extended controls. Here is mine... cost me $200 on top of the cost of the base gun:

Saiga12grass.jpg

I have modified about 20 or so and it is a breeze, the hardest part is cutting the hole out for the grip nut screw, other than that you are just knocking out pins and reinstalling parts.

I'll be in Phoenix area next week and would really appreciate any suggestions of which shop or shops to visit which might have these parts. Thanks, Will

I'll be in Phoenix area next week and would really appreciate any suggestions of which shop or shops to visit which might have these parts. Thanks, Will

I doubt you will find conversion parts in any Phoenix gunshops. I got most of my conversion parts on-line from K-var (NATO length buttstock, pistol grip bushing) and Tapco (fire control group parts, retaining plate, pistol grip).

If you are still in Phoenix on Saturday, try to swing by Rio Salado for our monthly rifle/shotgun match. If you are coming, let me know by IM and I'll bring my Saiga 12 along for you to kick the tires on.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Wow, what a nice offer - one of the many things I've come to appreciate about the people in this sport and on this board. We unfortunately have a tight schedule and won't be able to do any shooting while there [can't believe it myself] but may get a chance to hit a few places like Cactus Tactical, etc. and thought we might see something. Thanks again for the offer. Will

Thanks for all the faith in a fellow shooter. You all are probably correct. I could do the work my self but a few roadblocks, I work tremendous amount of time 60-80hr. a week. If I have time to do something fun out side my kids and sexy wife I am at the range shooting what I already have. I also truly have no place to do it until I finish my work area in the basement. Please do not yell at me but I actually have a D 1050 that I have not used because I have not finished my workbench. And no no no I do not want to sell it. Thanks again but I will need to find a good smith to do the job.

Vlad

Check with www.mississippiautoarms.com or www.dpharms.com for parts. Also MAA and www.riflestocks.com offer a no modification pistol grip conversion to get you started, but a true conversion is the way to go. About not having a place to work on it? Kitchen table has been where a few have done the work. Make it a family affair......have the wife hold the light and the kid(s) hold the tools and parts. It is an ak. What can you possibly mess up? A great deal of info can be found at the www.saiga-12.com forum as well. Pics of builds, parts, ideas, and step by step mods.

Mississippi Auto Arms carries Tromix parts...and one of Tony's new bits is a one-piece trigger grip nut/trigger guard that bolts into the existing receiver holes. Knock off the bottom plate, bolt on the new trigger guard, and you should be good to go. That would be the easy route, and cheap.

advertsing removed by moderator.

Alex

Six months ago I would have never tnought about a S-12 but, while ROing one of the Area 6 3-gun shot gun stages, I got the opportunity to see Dean with his Tromix gun and I was impressed (both with both Dean and the gun). Dean let me fire a few rounds through it and it performed like a champ. Two weeks ago I got the opportunity to pick up a S-12 from one of our local dealers at a great price (it had been sitting on his shelves for a year). I still love my JP 11-87 and never had a bit of problem with it, but the Saiga intreges me. Not knowing a thing about AKs, I started searching the web to see what everybody else was doing. Obviously need more mag capacity than the 1-5 rounder. As far as I can tell, there are curren tly NO 10 round APGs available although may come available in a few weeks. There were also no 20 rd drums available though I think I've got 2 coming from the first production run.

Of course I found out about 922 compliance needed for high cap magazines. Any US made magazine counts as 3 US parts. I've already put in a G2 hammer (1st US part). Not real hard but, without instructions, a little tricky to get the retaining spring back over the hammer pin. Wound up using a drift pin to hold the hammer in place while lifting the retaining spring and sliding in the pin. Needed 3 hands.

Got a Polychoke II (second US part). I've got a Tromix gas block on backorder (3rd US part).

The one thing I haven't done yet is test fire with Reduced Recoil slugs and light shot loads. Does anyone have experience with these??? Will I have to open up the gas ports or block???

Edited by itento

...Of course I found out about 922 compliance needed for high cap magazines....

If you do a proper pistol-grip conversion, then you will have plenty of compliance parts (trigger, hammer, pistol grip, stock, AGP mag parts). It also makes the gun much more manageable and ergonomic than with the original stock. The PG conversion process is pretty straight forward with common tools.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 4 weeks later...
Do you guys use a polychoke or a brake on your saigas?

I don't use a poly choke since I can not see that they do much for you except make the gun longer and add to the cost. Having said that, I will eat those words if I ever show up to shoot a match with 50+ yard shotgun clay targets.

I also do not use a brake but some others do. IMO you do not need a brake. Others use a brake because they like it and/or there are some available now for Saiga that have a large "cool" factor.

Edited by Charles Bond