Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am spending a lot of time in Needham, MA with my job and would love to be able to show up at a match and rent a gun from someone and buy ammo only for consumption at the range. I understand that possesion of ammunitions is illegal without a license, so I wouldn't be able to take it out of the range. Is it illegal for a Massachusetts' gun owner to rent a gun and sell ammunition to someone from out of state? I certainly don't want to suggest anything that is illegal, so I'm asking the hypothetical question here. Can anyone give me some information? Better yet, invite me to shoot a match with you. I only shot three matches all last year, and it looks like I will spend a lot of time near Boston again this year. Thanks.

Someone inquired this same question to our club, this is what I wrote him:

I am not positive, but I think as long as you travel with it locked and cased with ammo locked and cased you are fine. I am assuming you are over 21 and able to carry in your own state. I also believe that there is a out of state Mass carry permit that you can aquire as well. Call the State police or look online at mass.gov

I know ther are some guys that drive up from Ct, Maine, NH, Vermont, and RI to shoot our matches.

go to www.northeastshooters.com and look through the forum there too. Then come find us at

Bass River Rod & Gun Club on the cape

--

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

-Thomas Jefferson

Rob Boudrie will probably be along to rattle off a ton of info on laws and what you can do. He knows that stuff inside and out.

The schedule for the our section is here:

http://www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.asp?year=2008

Despite all the crappy laws we have a good amount of shooting at matches almost every weekend. Feel free to drop a PM if you need to borrow gear.

/Puts on his NRA Instructor hat

You can't rely on FOPA to bring the pistol with you to work. The place you start from the and the place where you end your travels both have to be places where you are legal to possess. So bringing a pistol to work and then going to a match/range afterwards is out.

Yes you could borrow or rent a pistol and ammo to use at the range.

/Takes off the hat

Most people who come from out of state to attend matches or practices don't bother with the non-res license. I have never heard of someone having a problem.

I believe there is a competition exception but I do not recall the details of it or where to find documentation of it.

My understanding is that Federal Laws allow you to travel to and from matches from state to state - however if your staying for an extended period of time - the out Non-Resident route would be the way to go.

I just checked http://www.handgunlaw.us/ Looks like MA does not honor (Reciprocity) your OK License - but OK honor ours.

That's exactly the case. I come here for several weeks at a time. This current trip is for 87 days. I hesitate to get a permit because although right now I am here for an extended trip, my schedule and work priorities may change suddenly. That's why I thought that a rental agreement with someone would be the best way to go. I could ship my mags, belt, etc...even my whole shooting bag for that matter.

I understand that if I was driving here from another state and I had a match registration I could come to the state for a reasonable amount of time with guns, ammo and gear, but I assume that a reasonable amount of time would only mean that I would not be in the state for more than a day or two after the match was over.

If anyone has an idea I haven't considered please let me know.

Thanks for all the info.

That's exactly the case. I come here for several weeks at a time. This current trip is for 87 days. I hesitate to get a permit because although right now I am here for an extended trip, my schedule and work priorities may change suddenly. That's why I thought that a rental agreement with someone would be the best way to go. I could ship my mags, belt, etc...even my whole shooting bag for that matter.

I understand that if I was driving here from another state and I had a match registration I could come to the state for a reasonable amount of time with guns, ammo and gear, but I assume that a reasonable amount of time would only mean that I would not be in the state for more than a day or two after the match was over.

If anyone has an idea I haven't considered please let me know.

Thanks for all the info.

What division are you shooting?

I checked into getting an out-of-state license about 2 years ago. The permit takes about 6 months to process and its good for a (1) year. You need to re-apply again and go thru the

process again. I dont know if this is still the case.

Bob

Most people who come from out of state to attend matches or practices don't bother with the non-res license. I have never heard of someone having a problem.

I believe there is a competition exception but I do not recall the details of it or where to find documentation of it.

Mass General Law, Chapter 131, Section 131G: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

You guys are awesome! I shoot a 6" Fat Free 40S&W and a single stack 1911 45 in L-10. I also have gear for a 92FS. I'm going home this weekend and will bring back my belt and a couple of holsters and mag holders with me. I'm a lefty, so I figure I will make my life easier if I bring my own gear. I wouldn't care what I shoot. I just want to go to the range, smell some burnt gun powder and hang out with some shooters.

You guys are awesome! I shoot a 6" Fat Free 40S&W and a single stack 1911 45 in L-10. I also have gear for a 92FS. I'm going home this weekend and will bring back my belt and a couple of holsters and mag holders with me. I'm a lefty, so I figure I will make my life easier if I bring my own gear. I wouldn't care what I shoot. I just want to go to the range, smell some burnt gun powder and hang out with some shooters.

You had to be a lefty! :D

My wife says I make everything harder than it has to be.

Please translate FOPA for the gentleman.

He isn't just driving here, he's basically here on long term work. His home state is Oklahoma.

My bad, Firearm Owners Protection Act. A piece of federal legislation that included a provision that allows you to travel through states that forbid or restrict the possession of firearms as long as your trip begins and ends in places where you are legal to posses. Not really relevant thanks to the MA competition exception that Rob Boudrie provided a link for.

Hey! What's wrong with lefties? I happen to be a lefty!

I don't think I'll make a USPSA match until April 20th (Manville, RI), but PM me if you need to borrow anything. I have complete gear for Revolvers and Glocks (belt is size 40).

-Cuz.

Hey! What's wrong with lefties? I happen to be a lefty!

I don't think I'll make a USPSA match until April 20th (Manville, RI), but PM me if you need to borrow anything. I have complete gear for Revolvers and Glocks (belt is size 40).

-Cuz.

Not a thing wrong with being a lefty....unless it's politically. :devil: However, not everyone has ambi safeties on their pistols.

• 1 month later...

I have been blessed in ways I truly don't deserve. I've had and still have great mentors and shooting buddies. Fortunately, the list keeps growing.

Michael, known around here as IPSCDRL, has been great. He kept his word and so far took me shooting twice. Needless to say, I met a bunch of fine folks shooting with him. He lent me guns and refused money for ammo. I even got to shoot two Glocks for the first time in competition. Shooting a different gun made it obvious when I wasn't paying attention, so I learned (or relearned) several things while shooting.

I just hope I get a chance to pay it forward to someone else in a similar position.

Thanks, Michael.

I have been blessed in ways I truly don't deserve. I've had and still have great mentors and shooting buddies. Fortunately, the list keeps growing.

Michael, known around here as IPSCDRL, has been great. He kept his word and so far took me shooting twice. Needless to say, I met a bunch of fine folks shooting with him. He lent me guns and refused money for ammo. I even got to shoot two Glocks for the first time in competition. Shooting a different gun made it obvious when I wasn't paying attention, so I learned (or relearned) several things while shooting.

I just hope I get a chance to pay it forward to someone else in a similar position.

Thanks, Michael.

Maybe we can get Mike to drag you to Cape Cod Sunday.