Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For Single Stack: .40S&W or .45ACP?

dagz

It is really hard to say what they were shooting, I can tell what I know though.

Robbie- SA of course

koenig- S&W

Jarrett- Para

The other guys like strater, sevigny, butler...... I do not know, I think taran ran an Infinity though.

The may list that in front site when they run it.

Leatham and Voigt shot a .40 S&W I am pretty sure koening shot a .45

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For competition purposes, why not choose the softer recoiling .40 over the .45?

After you shoot a 45ACP loaded with ~4.1 grains of clays behind a 230gr FMJ you would swear on your mothers grave that is a cheating load. Very soft and controlable.

Alan

After you shoot a 45ACP loaded with ~4.1 grains of clays behind a 230gr FMJ you would swear on your mothers grave that is a cheating load. Very soft and controlable.

Alan

.45 with the above load is a lot softer than a .40 load. .40 is snappier, the .45 is more of a soft push.

I know Strader used a .40 Cal Caspian slide/frame custom gun. It was built by Kevin Toothman I believe. Very nice looking piece!

Yes, Phil shot a Caspian based 40 built by Kevin.

It has been extremely reliable with the Tripp Gen2 mags.

There's no real secret juju to getting 40 to work. As long as the slide stop is cut correctly all is good.

One load for LTD, L-10, and SS. Doesn't get any better than that!

I had a custom Caspian .40 for a while, nice shooting gun, ran 100% with 10mm McCormick mags and 1.185 OAL ammo.

<slight thread drift>

Maybe I'll get another SS .40 soon - so, I know that STI, Kimber and Springfield make factory .40s........ Colt did a few for a while.... who else makes a factory .40 that is available , now, with a ramped barrel? Not really wanting a Trojan. Kimbers are pricey these days. Springfields just aren't available.....

I keep hearing S&W might, but I'd love to see Taurus make one..... their .45 is pretty decent for the price. Any ideas? Really not into doing a full custom build right now.

".45 the way I meant for it to be" --channeling JMB

9s6uxv.jpg

don't forget, jb inital offering was in 38 auto not .45.

lynn

So he made a minor correction... :rolleyes: We'll just call that a beta test...

Alan

.45 with the above load is a lot softer than a .40 load. .40 is snappier, the .45 is more of a soft push.

That is my .45 load 4.0clays and 230gr ball.

my .40sw 1911 load is a 180gr fmj behind 4.6gr TG.

The .40 is much softer and faster.

Here's another snippet of a gem:

-said Dave Sevigny (shooting a .45acp) to his fellow supersquad mates (shooting .40sw) at the 2008 SS Classic.

(slight paraphrase)

"I really need to get a couple .40's built up; all of those guns of yours arent even moving. Its an advantage."

Why would a 180gr .40 be softer than a 185gr .45 given the same velocity? I use a 200gr .45 but if I really wanted to mimic my .40 load I would run 185's.

I can understand the arguement of using .40 if you don't want to load .45ACP.

It's mostly a perception thing. Talking with a few folks that have studied this, they say that everyone's brain is wired differently (mine must be on an alien wiring diagram if that's true!) and what feels soft to one person might not to another.

The way it was described to me is that when you experience a shock (gun going off) your brain shuts out all input for a tiny fraction of a second. For some people that takes more time and others less time. So, they're saying it's how well your wiring matches up with the impulse from the gun....a little sharper, but shorter versus a little slower and longer. If you're wired for the shorter input, a soft, slower impulse will feel really sluggish and if it's the opposite, the sharper, shorter impluse will feel harsh. Not my idea at all, but it's pretty interesting.

I have both .40 and .45 single stacks and the .40 is more than soft enough for me and resets quicker than the .45. R,