Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Transporter

This is a fun action movie wherein the title protagonist drives a car for hire. He's very detail-oriented and drives with great skill. We later find he fights and shoots with great skill too.

There's some silliness in here, with some A-Team like non-lethal violence, but the creativity of some of the stunts makes up for it. (The container doors/sweater fight and the oil slick fight are awesome.)

The lead actor should get the action hero roles going to less deserving actors such as Bruce and Arnold. He kicks ass.

Sweater-fu, pedal-fu, many guns, no breasts... Joe Bob* says check it out.

(*Whatever happened to Joe Bob Briggs, drive-in movie critic? He was awesome.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Corey Yuen was the action director on this movie. If you know your Hong Kong movies, he is one of the top directors from there. That is why a lot of the fight sequences had HK martial arts and Jackie Chan type movements.

And this was Shu Qi's first movie where she spoke english. We need to see more of her.

I guess I'm the black sheep here since I dindn't like the movie...

I mean... what was the deal with those tracer like thingies in every god damn bullet? Not to mention in the trailer, and luckily they removed that scene from the feature film itself, he BOUNCES an AT-4 missile with a tray... WTF???

The pedal fight was kinda neat though... So was the car chase at the beggining.

"He was a member of the 1988 British Olympic Team in Seoul, Korea, and remained on the National Diving Squad for ten years. In the late '90s, a talent agent specializing in athletes landed Statham a gig in an ad campaign for the European clothing retailer French Connection. This led to an appearance in a Levi's Jeans commercial and a fledgling modeling career.

Meanwhile, Statham had also earned local fame as a street corner con man, selling stolen jewelry and counterfeit perfume out of a briefcase. Thus, when French Connection's owner became one of the biggest investors in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, he naturally introduced the diver/model/hustler to knave-hunting Ritchie.

Intrigued by Statham's past and impressed by his modeling work, Ritchie invited him to audition for a part in the film. The director challenged Statham to impersonate an illegal street vendor and convince him to purchase a piece of imitation gold jewelry. Statham was evidently so persuasive that Ritchie bought four sets. When the director attempted to return his worthless acquisition -- pretending that the gold had turned to stainless steel -- Statham was so graciously inflexible that Ritchie hired him."

• 5 weeks later...