Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Homemade "Cat Tail"

ERIC

I've been wanting to make one of these for years and finally decided to do it this past weekend after seeing recent threads and pictures of the "Cat Tail". Just in time for the SMM3G.

My other hobby is woodworking so I have a belt/disk sander, grinder, drill press, router table and oscillating spindle sander which came in handy. I also have a small Sherline mill. It started out a a block of 1/2" thick aluminum. My woodworking tools were able to carve away at it with a little elbow grease although a majority of the hacking was done with a hack saw. A lot of the work was free hand and it wasn't fun especially when things got hot. All that is left is to bead blast it and put on a coat of black moly resin. It's pretty beefy but it only weighs a tad under 2oz.

post-2477-1205773808.jpg

That is just too cool. Hope ya don't mind, but I think I'll use your basic design to make one for one of my scopes. I have some woodworking tools and a hack saw.

I also enjoy makin stuff. Mostly because I don't price my time as high as some Mfgs. And I am cheap.

post-10967-1205970005.jpg

post-10967-1205970119.jpg

Quick suggestion for you guys(like me) that are going to use woodworking tools for metal fab. Use the slowest speeds possible on your tools. Fast speeds equal heat, heat kills drill bits, sander belts, blades. Slower is faster & saves expensive tools!

MLM

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just made one myself in the machine shop during night shift. Curious to see how it works when I get home. Needs some sanding but should be good to go. I'll post picks later and I'm no machinist.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

From the website:

The Throw Lever is no longer available through 3TTactics.com. If would like to inquire about the Throw Lever please contact Joe Harless at

(706) 718-5711

Joe said that LaRue Tactical now owns the design.

From the website:

The Throw Lever is no longer available through 3TTactics.com. If would like to inquire about the Throw Lever please contact Joe Harless at

(706) 718-5711

Joe said that LaRue Tactical now owns the design.

We'll damn!!!! Man I spent alot of time on mine to have it made 100 times better than Larue. :wacko:B)

Chris C.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...