Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bowling Pins?

-JQ-

I'm thinking about shooting a local BP match this weekend and was wondering if there is any advice for a relatively new competitor. I've never shot pins but I assume they are similar to steel.

I understand you have to "clear the table" so I'm guessing a .40 would be better than a 9mm?

It sounds like a good thing to do for extra trigger time when no practicals are around.

THX

Shooting is shooting. Larger caliber is best. I used my 1911's and "light" 44 mag load in a S&W Mod 29. Both were semi-wadcutter loads. Avoid round nose bullets, they tend to glance off. Aim at the top half of the fat part. Don't wait for the pin to clear the table, just shoot the next one. Come back if you have to. Have fun with it.

Jim M

"One shot, one pin". Pins are a ton of fun, but you must center-punch them, unlike steel that can be hit any old place.

Serious pin people shoot honker loads, but you should be ok starting out with a decent .40 load.

Big hollow points. Like flying ashtrays. :)

All things equal, I'd shoot 45 but hot 40's would do.

Shred is right. Center hits are a must. The pin must leave the table and a pin that is knocked over and facing you with the small end can be a tough shot.

Bigger is always better for pins but see if they have side match for 9mm where pins are set lighter (closer to back edge of table) so you can shoot more! Also open gun and revolver etc.etc. etc. Have fun, take lots of ammo and lots of $$$$$.

Well I just got back from the pin match. Everyone was right, it was a lot of fun. I took my Sig X5 in 40...14rds is always a comfort just in case. It didn't seem to have any trouble clearing the table when I did my job. I had 3/4 box of HPs and they seemed to be much better at clearing the pins than the hardball back up ammo.

I saw several people shooting 9mm and not clearing the table even when moved rearward. The 40's were at the front of the table.

Not too sure of all my times but the last set was 5.11...nice way to finish up.

I will go back next month.

Well I just got back from the pin match. Everyone was right, it was a lot of fun. I took my Sig X5 in 40...14rds is always a comfort just in case. It didn't seem to have any trouble clearing the table when I did my job. I had 3/4 box of HPs and they seemed to be much better at clearing the pins than the hardball back up ammo.

I saw several people shooting 9mm and not clearing the table even when moved rearward. The 40's were at the front of the table.

Not too sure of all my times but the last set was 5.11...nice way to finish up.

I will go back next month.

If you relaod, checkout some 200 or 220 gr bullets if you can find them.

How would a 10mm stack up in a pin match. I have a .44 special that my dad shot a pin match with decades ago, but I also have a 1006 S&W that I'd like to take out more often. This sounds like something it could do.

Hk mtbr, how many rounds was it tking you to clear the table on average?

How would a 10mm stack up in a pin match. I have a .44 special that my dad shot a pin match with decades ago, but I also have a 1006 S&W that I'd like to take out more often. This sounds like something it could do.

Jimmyzip - I really don't know how many per table...more than I should. I would try it with my SS some time I think...but would keep mags at the ready.

One guy was shooting a 44 mag wheelgun (looked hollywood) with comp...He was the fastest I saw all day I think but I don't know times...he looked to be a LONG time shooter - fast...pins left the table with no problem. :surprise:

On pins I shoot a .45.

And my trick is to hit the logo which is just a little below the neck. That combination has worked well for me in the past.

J

I shot a 10mm S&W 610 for man-on-man pins after I got too good to use an auto (yes, that was the 'handicap' they assessed-- either shoot a revo or do a reload). A good JHP works great.

Hi all

Just so you know, Phoenix Rod and Gun Club is holding a Bowling pin match every monday night from 5:30 to 7:30, open squading. $10 gets you 12 tables!

We just got our new metal tables, so its a lot of fun.

all calibers welcome! we have alot of fun shooting them with .22's

any questions you can call me at the club at 602-276-0510

Come have some fun!

Darrell

Rangemaster

Phoenix Rod and Gun Club

I have shot pins with 45acp, 45Super, 44Mag, 357 Mag , and 41Mag, but, my all time favorite is my 610 revo in 10mm with 220 TC moving 1050 fps. Recoil management and power to move pins seemed to be the right combination. My next favorite is 45 Super in 6" 1911 with 255 SWC moving 900 fps.

With these two rounds it is common to take 5 Pins clear of the table with 5 shots.

I can get a really great cadence going with my 686 .357. As the sights come down from each shot, I start the squeeze, letting off the next round as they fall on the next pin...

Seems natural.

Edited by Jeff686