Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited M & GM Powder of choice?

JoshF

Actually, I didn't vote. That was someone else who voted for E3.

Chris

A "B" shooter contaminating the results!!!

Good thing you voted E3! That way you don't skew any of the important counts :ph34r:

P.S. Thanks for letting me beat you! Don't let this become a monthly thing now....:devil:

I'm not an M or GM yet either. In fact, I even let you beat me last weekend. But, I'm posting anyway and you can't stop me. :ph34r:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not on your list, but I use WST. It's a little reverse temperature sensitive, but if you know that going in there is nothing to worry about.

WST aka Winchester Super Target, is the last choice available in the poll.

For me and my little dog B class self, I use N320. Not because I think it is the best or anything but that there is so much info on this site about it and I do not like TG.

Edited by austinkroe

I dont get to vote, since I am just a B, but I can tell you I use VV N320, and A 180 master blaster. Has anyone seen the New Front site? The list the powders used by the competitors at the nationals last year in limited. Hodgden 44 %

VV 37 %

W 6 %

IMR 2%

ALL? 4%

I'm a Master Class and use Bullseye, but that is for NRA Bullseye competition.

For IPSC I use IMR 4756 and 7625 in my open gun, but that's Open. For Limited I'm using WST, 231, TG and Clays (still trying to find the best load). And since I'm only a lowly C class trying to get back to B class -- I didn't vote.

I use TG for everything from 9mm to .45.

I try not to care if it is the best or not because if I do then I might be forced to spend more on something else. It pushes the bullet out of the gun, and I am also just too lazy to experiment with anything else. I've been using it from day one.

.40--4.5g TG, 1.18 OAL, 180g Bear Creek molly

.45--4.2g TG, 1.25 OAL, 230g Bear Creek molly

9mm--whatever I can find and TG to match per the chrono.

I've heard of TG being dirty, but I don't have experience to compare it to anything else. I clean my gun about once every three matches. I've never had a malfunction because of a dirty gun, so....

M in L10 and Limited.

You think the M or GM has the secret handshake or the magic bullet? <_<

You think they jump into their pants both legs at one time.

You think their stuff don't stink.

Yes! :goof:

Ok, not really... I've shot with guys of every skill level. I know it's not some magic, just a LOT of work to reach the top.

As for the results and my bet!!! I won, and I lost... crap! :angry:

I was rooting for TG and my buddy is a hard-core Clays user. Both are great powders but with a different feel. We always argue who's was better (doesn't everyone?) and it kind of errupted into this quite lengthy post :surprise:

Anyway, thanks to all the Ms and GMs that made this happen, and even the A, B, C, D, U that undoubtedly voted anyway. :cheers:

You think the M or GM has the secret handshake or the magic bullet? <_<

You think they jump into their pants both legs at one time.

You think their stuff don't stink.

Yes! :goof:

Ok, not really... I've shot with guys of every skill level. I know it's not some magic, just a LOT of work to reach the top.

As for the results and my bet!!! I won, and I lost... crap! :angry:

I was rooting for TG and my buddy is a hard-core Clays user. Both are great powders but with a different feel. We always argue who's was better (doesn't everyone?) and it kind of errupted into this quite lengthy post :surprise:

Anyway, thanks to all the Ms and GMs that made this happen, and even the A, B, C, D, U that undoubtedly voted anyway. :cheers:

I settled on Clays several years ago for both 180 and 200 gr bullets. If I was going to change it would be to tightgroup, but why use what's second best??

Titegroup here too.

Mostly because 320 is too expensive ($74.00 for 4 lbs vs. $93.00 for 8lbs from Powder Valley) and I couldn't tell the difference in felt recoil anyways.

And yes I have an "M" card in Limited. B)

I settled on Clays several years ago for both 180 and 200 gr bullets. If I was going to change it would be to tightgroup, but why use what's second best??

Oh, Thems Fightin Words!! :P

Edited by KSmoker

Oh, Thems Fightin Words!! :P

Check with the top 16 at the nationals and see what they are actually using. I think you would be suprised at how many are using Clays. I can think of at least five off the top of my head that use or have used Clays. VV 330, VV 320, and Tightgroup are also used.

I do have to concede that if I was using a Glock with the bullets loaded to factory OAL I would use Tightgroup in a second over any other powder available, but I have never tried my STI with factory stuff so I would have some reliability concerns at factory length. Hope this helps.

Edited by Robbie Wheaton Jr

I didn't vote because I am at 84.8% in limited, but I am master in limited 10. I am experimenting with solo 1000, and I am surprised it did not get any votes. Compared to titegroup it seems to have comparable accuracy and burn rate. It seems to smoke a little less with moly bullets, and is supposed to be less temp sensitive. I got 8lbs for a little under $100. I wonder if there is a reason others are not using it that I have not discovered yet.

If were available and reasonable in price I'd still be shooting VVN320

As it is, available and $$$ means Tight Group is the next best thing.

Interested in E3, but for now my 40# of TG will do.

Limited G.

I can get N320 for $18.50/lb when I buy 4# and Titegroup for $15/lb in 1# or 4#.

What do consider reasonable?

What is E3???

We order from Powder Valley.

I think I just paid $232 for 12# this time and that would make it a little over $19/lb but I think it's worth it for match ammo. I was just one of several on the order.

We split the shipping and the hazmat fee.

I didn't vote because I am at 84.8% in limited, but I am master in limited 10. I am experimenting with solo 1000, and I am surprised it did not get any votes. Compared to titegroup it seems to have comparable accuracy and burn rate. It seems to smoke a little less with moly bullets, and is supposed to be less temp sensitive. I got 8lbs for a little under $100. I wonder if there is a reason others are not using it that I have not discovered yet.

ssssssshhhhhh! Knock it off! ;)

I think I just paid $232 for 12# this time and that would make it a little over $19/lb but I think it's worth it for match ammo. I was just one of several on the order.

Is that including the shipping/hazmat fees?

$177 for 8# which comes to 22+change per pound.

Edited by Coolduckboy

Is that including the shipping/hazmat fees?

$177 for 8# which comes to 22+change per pound.

I ordered with 3 other folks and we split the hazmat and shipping, He asked me for $232 when I went to get the stuff. Did he cheat himself?? My math looks good....?

I voted N320 for my limited set up with at 180gr bullet.

I have tried Clays so many times (HSmith recommended) and I like the feel of the recoil. Only problem is, the depth of the primer strike bothers me as it is a bit shallow with Federal small rifle primers and I see primer flow with regular WW pistol primers. So, the N320 is the way to go. Strikes nice and deep and I just can't afford a malfunction at a match.

I voted N320 for my limited set up with at 180gr bullet.

I have tried Clays so many times (HSmith recommended) and I like the feel of the recoil. Only problem is, the depth of the primer strike bothers me as it is a bit shallow with Federal small rifle primers and I see primer flow with regular WW pistol primers. So, the N320 is the way to go. Strikes nice and deep and I just can't afford a malfunction at a match.

Clays Does have a nicer recoil but I'm fearful of the pressures that load generates.

I loaded some .40 180 for a well known shooter with Clays at 1.210". The pressure has to be high as it flattens WSRs.

I found a good steel load with 3.5 grains of Clays (the book maximim) under my normal 180 @ 1.160" at about 840 fps.

Edited by Mick

I always feel vain when I cite my GM rank, but I think this is an important thread. I have used EVERYTHING over the years. I've often noted that up-and-coming shooters are obsessed with trying to "buy skill". I will shoot ANY bullet, ANY powder and ANY brass I can get my hands on. My advice is to do whatever it takes to get rounds down range. I believe that it's best to shoot various powders etc to get focused on the process of shooting. As soon as a load becomes predicatable, we begin to shoot automatically, which leads to failure.

Focus on feeling the gun, tracking the sights and SHOOTING. I often shoot "trail mix" ammo at local matches to keep my focus on the gun. When I go to major matches, I generally shoot the same powder/bullet for a month before the match to ensure point of aim/impact issues. I've mostly shoot WST, Tite Group and Universal Clays when the chips are down.

Any safe load I can shoot today is better than a "high speed GM load" I have to wait for.

Thanks

-MB