Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited M & GM Powder of choice?

JoshF

limited master

Glock 24

180 grain lead, JHP, FMJ and Plated bullets

WST

3.8-5.0 grains depending on bullet and primer

sometimes the pressure is up there a bit, getting pierced primers in the glock with Federal 100s

with federal 200 primers(which are reccommended for major or full power loads) i have no problems.

I cannot tell a difference between N320 and WST in my testing, and WST is alot cheaper.

I do like the way titegroup feels in my gun, its just i cannot afford to shoot jacketed bullets all of the time and when loaded with lead, a 32 round stages looks like the battle of gettysburg.

n320 isnt bad either...its just too expensive and hard to find locally.

Hope this helps

Harmon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a lowly A class shooter. but i've had good luck with universal clays and green dot. i've shot more green dot than anything, i was givin 16 pounds of it. other than being pretty dirt it worked fine. i've got 4 pounds of the new and improved green dot that is cleaner burning. i'm going to give it a try soon.

I always feel vain when I cite my GM rank, but I think this is an important thread. I have used EVERYTHING over the years. I've often noted that up-and-coming shooters are obsessed with trying to "buy skill". I will shoot ANY bullet, ANY powder and ANY brass I can get my hands on. My advice is to do whatever it takes to get rounds down range. I believe that it's best to shoot various powders etc to get focused on the process of shooting. As soon as a load becomes predicatable, we begin to shoot automatically, which leads to failure.

Focus on feeling the gun, tracking the sights and SHOOTING. I often shoot "trail mix" ammo at local matches to keep my focus on the gun. When I go to major matches, I generally shoot the same powder/bullet for a month before the match to ensure point of aim/impact issues. I've mostly shoot WST, Tite Group and Universal Clays when the chips are down.

Any safe load I can shoot today is better than a "high speed GM load" I have to wait for.

Thanks

-MB

GOOD STUFF!!!! :excl:

• 4 weeks later...

For MAJOR matches I use VV320.

For practice, and/or anything else I use what ever I got the cheapest at the time of Winchester Super Field, tight Group, Have used E3...............just something with a proven track record.

AND................

I too like to mix up the stuff so the gun does slightly different things to help me remember to look at the speed bumps on top !!! ;)

Hopalong

• 4 months later...

I found this thread looking for E3 info. I've shot 320 for several years but with price and availability, I've decided to find an alternative. American Select works well and it seems to have a burn rate between 320 and 330. IMR 700x is a decent powder and it seems to be clean and a bit faster than 320. Red Dot will work but it is still too dirty for me. E3 is showing some promise...

Not Listed: Alliant American Select

I have used this powder for over 4 years for both my major and minor loadings. 5.5 gr in my major load ends up around 172 and 4.5 gr in my minor load gets me in at about 154. Works well and I have never felt the need to switch.

I just finished an 8lb bottle of Am.Sel.. I was using 5.4grs with a 180jhp at 1.18" and a WSR primer to get a 170pf. This is out of an Eagle STI. With a lead 180, I used a little less AS than vv320 to get the same PF; but, with a 180jhp I have to use more AS than vv320 to reach 170PF. I guess I like it more with lead than with jacketed bullets.