Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 stupid question #2

wooddog

Now that I am off and running with the reloads, is there any powder that is considered the cleanest?

I am running 26.3 grns Win 748 55gr Montana gold winchester cases and primers. The Reloader 7 I tried first just wouldn't eject reliably even at max load of 20.5

I have just started using some Ramshot Xterminator with 55 grain Win fmjs with good luck. Low SD"s and 1 moa average velocity of almost 3200 fps. Have used BLC-2 and TAC in the past with OK results.

AA2230 is pretty good. It will work for both 55s and 69s. In the good ol days we were running 23.5 grains under a 69MKG and it would shoot about 3/4MOA or better. Don't think we ever chronoed that load though.

Nowadays My fav is Vhit N135. Gives ME the highest velocity in the 50-55 grain range and shorter barrels with great accuracy. N133 would be good too but I ran into some cycling problems with it and my short Match barrel. Worked fine in my Dpms barrel though.

Benchmark and Varget are good. Benchmark has a shorter grain so it would be better for the dillon.

Ramshot powders seem to be a good value but I haven't tried that many of them yet. I only have TAC. I should get some X-Terminator and try it.

Nick

[quote name=And that is a gorgeous Viszla in your avatar. I would love to have another to keep my Weimy company.

I am gonna try a lb of each powder and see what I like. each lb will give me almost 300 rounds to figure it out.

A picture of my late dog, Woody, is in my personal information. They are great dogs!! He was a character.

• 3 weeks later...

I just changed from H-335 to AA2230. Much cleaner in my rifle which has only a 11.5" bbl plus 4.5" flash supressor. I load 26 gr under a 55gr. MG FMJ-BT. Also, AA2230 is much cheaper here with an 8# keg going for $105 (no shipping or hazmat required).

Varget works well with the lighter pills, for anything over 69 gr. I give the edge to Re15, it seems to produce a little more MV with the heavier pills.

Edited by kgunz11

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I have just started using some Ramshot Xterminator with 55 grain Win fmjs with good luck. Low SD"s and 1 moa average velocity of almost 3200 fps. Have used BLC-2 and TAC in the past with OK results.

What load do you use? I'm having a hard time working up a load. I'm using Win 55g FMJ, X-Terminator powder, OAL 2.260 as per the load guide, but can't get better than 2.5" at 100 yards in an AR that I get sub .5 MOA all day with my 69g SMK handloads.

Little help please. Thanks!

Varget works well with the lighter pills, for anything over 69 gr. I give the edge to Re15, it seems to produce a little more MV with the heavier pills.

Varget does not work at all with lightweight bullets because it is too voluminous and will fill up the case before you get to a good MV.

I have had great results with the BL-C2 and 335, but since i ran out and finding either is tough i switched to AA2230 and have never looked back, works really well for what i wantto do with it, tho i am getting some benchmark on the advice of a gunsmith friend of mine to use with some 36 gr. barnes bullets for long range varmints, seems you can get a higher velocity with the benchmark without losing case capacity, his recipe has the barnes pills screamin out at 3800 fps!!!

another +1 for AA2230. i've run through about 20lbs or so with mixed headstamp brass, 55gr hornady or montana gold fmj's and winchester small rifle primers. don't know that it's been cleaner than any of the other powders mentioned above, but it meters well, and has always delivered sufficient accuracy for me with an eotech on a 100 yard range.

-jared

What load do you use? I'm having a hard time working up a load. I'm using Win 55g FMJ, X-Terminator powder, OAL 2.260 as per the load guide, but can't get better than 2.5" at 100 yards in an AR that I get sub .5 MOA all day with my 69g SMK handloads.

Little help please. Thanks!

I had the same (well... similar) problem with rather large (1.5") groups at 100 yards with my 55 grain loads, while my 69 grain loads were in the sub 0.5" group size. In the process of attempting to solve a cycling problem, I loaded up some reduced powder loads to find my failure point. What I discovered was that once my velocity on the 55 grain bullets dropped below 3,000 fps, my group size fell to 0.5" versus the 1.5" from the loads that were over 3,000 fps. I now load all my 55's to approximately 2,950 fps... I'll take the accuracy over the flat trajectory every day!

Rookie, it sounds like what you need is a different powder.

I personally have been using the same jug of WC-844 for years. I guess that shows how little I've actually shot my AR-15s, although I do try to get them out for some exercise as much as possible.