Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COPS & BUCKS

Steve J

Nemo's post on "LIKE" inspired me. Every time I hear a supposedly professional news anchor or reporter both local and national (FOX is the worst) say COPS instead of police and BUCKS instead of dollars, I want to hit them with a ruler on their illiterate knuckles.

AAAAAAAaarrrrrrrggggggggg !!!! :angry2:

Traditionally the newspapers and TV news cater to the under educated or those who lack intelligence. So in essence by them talking to us like were idiots, they are relating to us! So as my history teacher explained in high school, the news is reported on the level of who would be most interested in hearing about it. Or in other words just us ignorant people! I agree cops is a little informal, although its better than them calling us pigs or some other derogatory remark. H

get it right Jamie, its baby gay whales, or these days I guess it would be, ......preadult,alternate lifestyle, ocean going aquatic mammals.

Trapr

Nah, you had it right the first time. Baby Gay Whales :devil:

political correctness sux

jmho

dj

...it is also quite irritating to hear normally educated, literate people (media)

OK, this is just a nice warning, please dont' EVER refer to THOSE people (festering whores.... I mean mainstream media) as either educated, normal, or literate.

that being said, my personal ass burner is to hear some bully cop, puff up and talk about "civilians" as though they were little people to be scorned and stepped. Hey! Bubba, NEWSFLASH!!! YOU are a civilian. :rolleyes:

...it is also quite irritating to hear normally educated, literate people (media)

OK, this is just a nice warning, please dont' EVER refer to THOSE people (festering whores.... I mean mainstream media) as either educated, normal, or literate.

that being said, my personal ass burner is to hear some bully cop, puff up and talk about "civilians" as though they were little people to be scorned and stepped. Hey! Bubba, NEWSFLASH!!! YOU are a civilian. :rolleyes:

To be fair I think it may not always be intentional (stupid culture thing borrowed from the military), but a much better word would be to call them "citizens" or "taxpayers" since they're sworn to protect the citizens and are paid for by taxpayers.

One of the few things I've seen in government here that was a pleasant surprise happened not long ago. I went into the city admin office to buy a landfill permit and it was 5min to closing...everyone was walking out. I asked what time they closed and the lady said "5:00PM". I pointed to the clock which said 4:55PM and she turned and headed to her desk. Someone asked what she was doing and she replied "a taxpayer just came in". I thought to myself "yes, I am a taxpayer, and this is what I pay them for...service."

Slightly OT, but ... I like learning.

I know where does the "cop" nickname come from, but I wonder on "buck"...

From the online etymology dictionary:

Meaning of "dollar" is 1856, Amer.Eng., perhaps an abbreviation of buckskin, a unit of trade among Indians and Europeans in frontier days, attested in this sense from 1748.

Thank Dale. :)
Thank Dale. :)

Was a controlled second shot or a let 'er rip doubletap? :P

Naah, either it was the mouse that went full-auto or the crappy internet connection I have at work that goosebumped ... :D

I quit watching the news... I think I get enough of it via the web during the day to satisfy my need to know.

On a sidenote, I am sick and tired of local journalists knowing everything and nothing, so I stopped reading newspapers and listening TV news about 6/7 years ago ...

On a sidenote, I am sick and tired of local journalists knowing everything and nothing, so I stopped reading newspapers and listening TV news about 6/7 years ago ...

I quit with the newspaper about 5 years ago because our local paper (Orlando Sentinel) is a liberal POS which pissed me off every time I read it. I started reading the newspaper as a kid

of about 7 or 8 and read it nearly every day until I got sick of the media stupidity. Don't even get me started about our television media here in Orlando, they suck even worse with their

"Breaking News" and teasing trailers like "Your Water May Kill You" or "Why You Might Be Living Next to a Serial Killer", more at 11pm, be sure to watch. Our media during the many hurricanes

of the last few years did so much self promotion and self praising that I now hurriedly mute the television when one of their umpteen commercials comes on. I am on the

internet all day, every day, my wife will start telling me some news story she just saw and I'll say "Yes, I read that 3 days ago", pisses her off <_<

I didn't intend this to become a politicized media bashing thread. There used to be a proud tradition. Broadcast journalists especially at the national level were schooled in proper, accent-less diction and literacy.

I'm railing against individuals. I use slang as a form of humor in everyday speech, but if I have to speak in front of an audience then I want my language, word usage, grammar, and syntax to be perfect, or as nearly perfect as possible.

p.s. I believe the correct phrase is Nuke the gay baby whales. :surprise::ph34r:

for those that don't know "cop" is constable on patrol

Some also claim the origin is from the copper buttons on officer's uniform coats years ago...."bring it on copper" that sort of thing.

Ah yes! Those uniform coats were quickly abandoned, however, as the buttons became known as "Copper Rings of Death."

Although it wasn't intended to bash the media, I want to sneak one in anyway.

Every time I hear one of my local news anchors say "gunned down", I head for the computer and fire off another in a long list of complaints.

I point out to them that I thought their journalism degree would have prepared them to use other adjectives to describe a shooting that might be more accurate.

When I point out that I have never heard one of them say "Mr. Smith was knifed down", or "Mr. Smith was ball batted down", or several other examples, I hear crickets chirping.

And to follow the forum rules, this is what I hate. :rolleyes:

DBeck77, you bring up a great point about the "special story" that they make a point of saying it could save your life or whatever, but we don't want to tell you now, so check back with us later.

If its so damn important and life saving or life threatening, tell us now, and keep telling us, so nobody misses it. otherwise its just sensationalized crap.

BUCKS, I figured it was a derivative of "sawbuck" but I don't know where sawbuck comes from.

Trapr