Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01

Tindjin

Anyone use one for IDPA? How do you like it? Reliable?

I am thinking of getting one but will need to buy it sight unseen as I can't find one local to put my hands on. I would use it for IDPA and USPSA. I could go the normal Glock route but just don't like the grip angle no matter how much I try out my friends ones.

Thanks.

I also prefer it for IDPA and USPSA over the Glock.

For USPSA you should be fine.

For IDPA local matches it should be no big deal, but if you go to a sanctioned state match or IDPA Nationals I would make sure you've got the weight down to the required 39 ounces with empty magazine.

It's not too difficult, but lighter grips and with variation in weights of magazines might make a difference. I've gotten one down to 38.85 ounces an one right at 39 ounces.

Edited by Albert

For USPSA you should be fine.

For IDPA local matches it should be no big deal, but if you go to a sanctioned state match or IDPA Nationals I would make sure you've got the weight down to the required 39 ounces with empty magazine.

It's not too difficult, but lighter grips and with variation in weights of magazines might make a difference. I've gotten one down to 38.85 ounces an one right at 39 ounces.

Angus has the grips to make it work without a problem on weight.

Just an observation but the rulebook states no full length dustcovers made of steel are allowed in the ESP division. It doesn't say this under SSP. If I read that right then assuming it made weight, the SP-01 could be used in SSP but not ESP. That doesn't really make much sense.

Just an observation but the rulebook states no full length dustcovers made of steel are allowed in the ESP division. It doesn't say this under SSP. If I read that right then assuming it made weight, the SP-01 could be used in SSP but not ESP. That doesn't really make much sense.

From Appendix 1 Section 3

"Pistols approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP

depending upon caliber, even if the pistol in question has a fulllength

dust cover. However, should the pistol in question have a

modification that removes it from SSP, it must meet all other

division criteria for ESP or CDP, again depending upon caliber."

Later,

Chuck

as Chuck quotes..if is legal for SSP, it is legal for ESP.

be sure to weigh the gun..

a lot of the weight is in the rubber grips..they are heavy..

Denis Marschal is making a set of very light wood grip specifically to help the SP01 make weight.

there are lots of combinations to try and get lighter.

the slide stop lever, the mainspring plug, delrin guide rod, and magazine..

and it will be close..everyone seems to be in the 38+ ounce area..

Stuart,

Some of the weights quoted have been in the range of a tenth of an oz or so under the limit. My question is this: what quality and resolution scale do the match officials typically use at an IDPA match?

Later,

Chuck

Stuart,

Some of the weights quoted have been in the range of a tenth of an oz or so under the limit. My question is this: what quality and resolution scale do the match officials typically use at an IDPA match?

Later,

Chuck

its close..very very close..and I know when I set mine up...I was running back and forth and using the postal meter in the automated mailing machine they have..

I thought of the same thing..so another reason I wanted to switch to my lighter 75.

Albert I think has been running his at more IDPA matches..so he might have a better idea..

As Stuart mentioned, I've been shooting my SP-01 in IDPA and USPSA.

I usually switch out the guide rod from the stainless steel guide rod I use in USPSA to the original delrin guide rod for IDPA and I've got the Marschal Alder wood grips that are both thin and light and apply a little grip tape for a more sure grip.

The scales I use is the Myweigh 700 and I usually check it with a check weight before I measure the pistol. The grips are where you save the most weight.

Albert,

How much does your gun weigh when set up for IDPA. I am thinking about getting an SP-01 for IDPA and was wondering how close it was. Thanks.

Also, do the 19 round magazines fit the IDPA box?

For those of you wanting to get your own scale: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.as...&ProdID=187

I have one of these and it is consistant from day to day.

edit to add mag question.

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

Aluminum grips, I don't know how much lighter they are than the rubber ones, but I believe they are lighter, yes.

And adding griptape onto them, they stick nicely to your hand. Better than the rubber imho.

They are very thin plastic.

Stuart,

Later,

Chuck

up to the MD..last yr at the matches i shot,my cdp gun gained and lost ounces several times...one md said it was to the limit,while a couple others said plus .02tenths so i guess that ment 38.02,but i dont remember anybody DQ'd...

Albert,

How much does your gun weigh when set up for IDPA. I am thinking about getting an SP-01 for IDPA and was wondering how close it was. Thanks.

Also, do the 19 round magazines fit the IDPA box?

For those of you wanting to get your own scale: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.as...&ProdID=187

I have one of these and it is consistant from day to day.

edit to add mag question.

I've got an older 2 slot SP-01 that makes weight with a 19 rounder magazine (interesting to note the SP-01 magazines have weighed in lighter than the standard 16 round factory/mecgar magazines) at around 38.85 ounces with wood grips (originally using the Walnut grips from my Tactical Sports).

My newer 3 slot SP-01 also requires the use of wood grips (Alder or Ash thin grips from Denis Marschal, marschalgrips.com) and the 19 rounder to make a weight right at 39 ounces on my Myweigh SD700 scale. Cutting close I know.

I tried to get the weight on them down with the Marschal grips and the stainless stell guide rods, and that is not going to happen.

I've attached a couple of older pictures to help illustrate.

SP01onScalewMagIn1.jpg

SP01onScalewMagOut1.jpg

SP01Scalewckwt.jpg

up to the MD..last yr at the matches i shot,my cdp gun gained and lost ounces several times...one md said it was to the limit,while a couple others said plus .02tenths so i guess that ment 38.02,but i dont remember anybody DQ'd...

The weight limit in SSP is 39 ounces, in CDP 41 ounces.

I've asked a couple places and never got a straight answer: When ordering the Custom SP-01 w/o the firing pin block, does IDPA consider that a factory option and therefore legal, or is it a modification removing a "safety" feature and therefore illegal?

I've asked a couple places and never got a straight answer: When ordering the Custom SP-01 w/o the firing pin block, does IDPA consider that a factory option and therefore legal, or is it a modification removing a "safety" feature and therefore illegal?

any idea how IDPA considers if a company makes a gun without one..it would be OK for all..

CZ has made from the factory SP01s without firing pin safety installed...which has been documented for IPSC, USPSA.

same thing would be issue for the M&P..it comes both ways..with and without..so could take one with and take it out..since the company does make and catalog one without..

anyway..just more stuff..

and just a note..it is possible to trick out the FPB..so its really close to running one without one in..

The weight limit in SSP is 39 ounces, in CDP 41 ounces.

roger that DT...i wasn't clear as usual..so an SSP gun at 39.02 oz,would the shooter get a chance to correct it or is it a on the spot DQ..flippin over to CDP my gun weighed in like 40.85,40.72..40.58,with out doing anything,other then the change in allitude.... :cheers:

What are the lightest magazine options out there for the SP-01? I have two of the 19-rounders, but need a bunch more magazines for Production, and possibly IDPA, so 10-rounders would be fine.

Edited by boo radley

What are the lightest magazine options out there for the SP-01? I have two of the 19-rounders, but need a bunch more magazines for Production, and possibly IDPA, so 10-rounders would be fine.

10 rounders might be heavier if they've got a spacer or something in the magazine to block it from having anymore than 10 rounds.