Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup

EricW

I am really starting to love Titegroup. I've been able to shoehorn that stuff into more loads than any other powder I've ever used. 9mm, 40, 45, some shotgun loads, blanks, now 44 Mag........and it all works just jim dandy. I've just wasted half a day working up loads for my 44 in H110 because the numbers in the book are "better." Oh, did I have high hopes....

Nope! Titegroup is cleaner, gives more velocity, vastly cheaper, and meters better. For all the handguns in my safe, one keg does it all! Ain't life grand?!

Really?! Cool... :D

I can't count how many pounds of H110 that I've burned in 44 Mag. Great powder but dangerous to load-down. I wonder how well it would work in 45 Colt? Hmmm... off to Hodgdon I go!

Thanks for the tip,

Ed

Really?! Cool... :D

I can't count how many pounds of H110 that I've burned in 44 Mag. Great powder but dangerous to load-down. I wonder how well it would work in 45 Colt? Hmmm... off to Hodgdon I go!

Thanks for the tip,

Ed

TG is WAAAY better for light loads in the bigger cartridges. Very modest recoil, not a lot of mess, and CHEAP. Long Colt loads feel like you're shooting a 38 special.

I just horsetraded for a 5 1/2" barreled 44 and for it, TG is THE way to go. For an 8 3/8" bbl., I think the results would be rather different. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough barrel to take advantage of a slower powder. I'm just tickled because I worked up my original loads with TG, thinking it was a compromise.

With a max charge of TG, I'm getting the same or better velocity as a 1 gr. "overcharge" of H110 *AND* I don't have to resort to magnum primers. Oh, and...less muzzle flash than H110, which is very distracting even just in the shade.

I was very pleasantly surprised today at the results. Now I just wish I hadn't wasted $15 on a can of H110.

Eric,

I’ve had a 4” and a 8 3/8” Model 29’s and a 7 ½” Super Blackhawk and between them I know I’ve sent in excess of 15k full house H110 loads down range.

I got rid of my Big Blasters a few years ago and bought a 4 ¾” SAA and 5 ½” Schofield (my Cowboy gun period). I don’t shoot these very often and I didn’t want to buy a separate powder but after some strange results using clays I decided to look for a powder I could use in both, or more correctly, all three .45’s.

I’m getting the itch again for a long range hand cannon and have been looking hard at the Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. At our club they have a shoot that’s at a running buck at 100yds, looks like fun and with the Redhawk I could load some hot 45 Colts and have a blast (every pun intended)!

Ed

Ed,

Too bad you're an Oregunnian... I just saw a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk in 454 in Spokane for about $450. Looked like it had never been used. I thought really hard about getting a 454, but decided to opt for ammo availability. I don't think you can go wrong with the newer Ruger revos. A little stoning, Slide Glide, and a 14 lb mainspring (17 lb stock) and my trigger came out really sweet. My buddy, who has a 44 Blackhawk, was shocked at how good it was.

As far as running targets - you're a better man than I Gunga Din. Let me know when that shin dig is. I've got to see that in action. :)

E

Good stuff! Have used it in .45 and 9mm (and the .40 is in the mail so I will soon use it in .40).

Accurate, as soft as clays in .45 (though noisier - like all ball powders) goes a long way. Seems to get more and more clean as pressures increase - my hotter 9mm loads (up to 145 PF) were more clean than the 165 .45 loads. Of course, the hot 9mm loads were likely running twice the pressure of the some .45 Titegroup loads I have tried. Even w/ the extra soot, Titegroup performed like a champ.

W/ newer, versatile, cheap powders like Titegroup out there, I see very little use for many of the older powders like HP=38 & W231.

Count me in as well. I love the stuff. My local Walmart sells it for $13 a lb which is about 40% of what VV powders go for and I have to drive to Spokane to get those.

Now that I have converted from lead (too much smoke...sorry LaserCast) I have noticed I don't need to clean the blaster. Ran 300+ rounds through it Friday and about the only way to tell was a bit of brown soot on the front of the blaster and the SlideGlide had turned black.

I do wish that Hogdon would release the data so I could play with it in Quickload but, well, Hogdon has told me in no uncertain terms (almost like they were swearing at me even) that they will not release that data. On the other hand, NECO claims to have an agreement with Hogdon and the Titegroup data will be coming along one of these days. Not sure who to believe.

Hadn't thought to try TG in the 44 though. Hmmm...time to wander out to the loading bench.....

Talking with chronoman at the CO state match and he was saying with the weather extreme at Area 1 he was seeing titegroup loads drop in velocity..some folks didn't make major with the velocity loss..

we didn't get much more scientific...as we were eatin'

I don't care what sort of marketting hooey anyone tries to feed you, TG loads respond to temps.

Sure, maybe TG isn't as sensitive as Unique or W231 or Bullseye or.... What everyone fails to remember is that temperature changes all sorts of things. The bore diameter will change with temp changes and this will affect velocity. Primer compound might be temperature sensitive and will change ignition properties and therefore velocity. The gunk in the barrel from shooting that day will even respond differently if it is cold as opposed to warm.

So sure, maybe TG itself doesn't respond to temps but everything else does.

do wish that Hogdon would release the data so I could play with it in Quickload but, well, Hogdon has told me in no uncertain terms (almost like they were swearing at me even) that they will not release that data.

What data are you talking about? Hodgdon has charge, velocity and pressure data in their own load manual.

W/ newer, versatile, cheap powders like Titegroup out there, I see very little use for many of the older powders like HP=38 & W231.

Please forgive me, but I always find it amusing whenever I find someone talking about HP-38 and W231. According to Hodgdon, these are the same powder. Hodgdon and Winchester buy this powder from the same OEM, and simply put it in differently colored, differently labeled canisters.

Talking with chronoman at the CO state match and he was saying with the weather extreme at Area 1 he was seeing titegroup loads drop in velocity..some folks didn't make major with the velocity loss..
I don't care what sort of marketting hooey anyone tries to feed you, TG loads respond to temps.

Out at Area One in 2001, with temperatures of circa 75 degrees, my 4.7-gr. TG/200-gr. LSWC load chronoed at 170.6 pf. At the 2002 Factory Nats, with an ambient temperature of 95 and a humitemp of 110, it chronoed at 171.2 pf. So yeah, it responds to temp....but not very much, in my experience. Anyone who "didn't make Major because of temperature drop with Titegroup" must've been running about a 166 pf before the match.

Duane: Quickload needs a whole ton of technical data like Ratio of Specific Heats, Burning Factor, progressivity/degressivity factor, solid propellant density, etc. This is stuff which they don't publish in any manual. FWIW...I haven't a clue what most of those mean. ;)

According to the email I got from Hogdon; the Hogdon data that is in Quickload came about as a result of testing in a country from the former Soviet Union. So, basically, Boris and Natasha figured out their powders and after the fall of the wall and the break up of the Soviet Union the software and data became "Quickload".

That is a bit of reading between the lines of Hodgon's email but I think it is pretty accurate.

If you haven't played with Quickload it is pretty nifty. Once you tweak it out a bit it is pretty surprising how close theoretical loads will perform in the real world.

Yes, you could (and I do that too) but that isn't nearly as technogeek as having a geegollywhiz 'puter program to help. ;) Yes, I am a geek. :P It is also nice to be "in the ballpark" before I make the 35 mile drive to the range. And then there are the pressure calculations and all that neat stuff which is interesting but I am not sure I trust it.

When Area 2 was at Raton, I got bumped to minor shooting titegroup. It was much cooler than AZ and several thousand feet higher. I still shoot it though. It's a good powder for .40.

• 2 months later...
Titegroups only real advantage to me is the fact that it's cheap. It's been one of the dirtiest powders I've used, but I do use in for my .40's because I like the way it feels.

I've seen posts from people claiming TG is the cleanest powder they've ever used, as well as from people claiming that it's the dirtiest. What gives?

SAB

I used straight Clays for 45 ACP and TiteGroup for 45 Colt and was completely happy. Then I changed the spring setup on my 1911 the same weekend I ran out of Clays that was also the same weekend the gun shop that supplies my powder decided to take a weekend off. Damn. Then I remembered DT and his constantly advocating 4.7 TiteGroup under a 200 LSWC for the 45 short Colt. After a trip to the range I found that load changed the recoil impulse and that actually worked WITH the spring changes… cool.

After a few hundred rounds I find that TiteGroup isn’t QUITE as clean as Clays but there isn’t enough difference to change my cleaning schedule of every 1200-1500 rounds. It’s nice to only have ONE powder on the shelf! Thanks Duane, see, SOMEONE listens to you! :P

Ed