XD or Glock

vmiguy2011

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. With it all. :cheers:

I have a G17 that I carry for duty presently (required at the time). Just purchased a XD Tactical in .40 to try out though. I'm in hopes alternating between them won't mess me up. If it does I'll most likely get another Glock (34 or 35) or just shoot my cheap 9mm model 17. I did figure out that if I take a small strip of velcro and wrap through my mag holders it snugs up the XD mags just perfect.

Out of the box, I have to say that the XD trigger seems much better. However, for minimal cost you can slick out the Glock's trigger. From what I've seen/read so far, it's a bit more expensive to work on the XD trigger.

Over the years though, I have always agreed with what most said here. Shoot them and see what feels best for you. Some people HATE the feel of a 1911 and can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. Others love them and take to them naturally it seems. Kinda like vanilla and chocolate... what's good for one may not be for the next person.

Greetings everyone! I'm the new kid around here. Here is my .02 cents on this.

I originally thought that the Glock 17 was junk and felt like a toy. My friends convinced me to buy one in 1988 and I never looked back. This G17 is still with me and ticking (89,800 rounds so far). I have no parts breakages at all, I do change my springs every 5K rounds. The only mods that I have are: stainless steel guide rod, Heinie Glock sights, NY-1 trigger spring with a 3.5 lb connector. Even though the slide to frame fit isn't like a tuned 1911, I can nail a 10"X10" steel plate at 100 yards with every shot.

When the XDs came out, I though they were neat. I bought a 5" Tactical in .45. The gun shot fine, but I kept having parts breakages with it. I had to send it to SA a few times, since it's hard to get spare parts to repair my pistol. A friend offed me more than what I paid for it and he got a new gun.

Then the M&Ps came out. I like the guns a lot. I have been doing mods to it and by design, I think that S&W has a winner on this gun. Many features on the M&P mimick the stuff that I put on / modify on the Glocks.

Just try before you buy.

I would go glock.

More easily attainable replacement parts, better magazine capacity. better aftermarket sight availability, etc.

buy a used one and if you don't like it, sell it, you will not lose any money on the deal.

if you like it, but want a new gun, sell it and buy new, the above also applies.

from my experience(USPSA, LEO and General shooting), the XD is harder to sell and loses more of its value.

whatever you pick, make sure you practice as much as you can.

Harmon

I have a 35 and 17L and I like them both. I am currently waiting for the M&P 9L. I like the way it fits my hand better than either of my Glocks. Might be worth your while to check out the M&P's. I don't think u can go wrong with the pick one and shoot/practice the heck out of it advice. Good luck and have fun!!

I'd go with the Glock, because they're more easily customized, parts are readily available, and you don't have to send them back to the factory when they break. I like the stock trigger on the Glock as well. I had an XD9, then I got a G17. I liked the 17 so much I traded the XD for a G19.

Make sure the Glock fits your hand. Big hands and high grips usually lead to chewed up hands with a Glock. I shot one for a couple of years and love them except for the fit. I shoot an M&P now but I would still be shooting a Glock if my hand didn't get eaten up. Parts and accessories are also cheaper for the Glock, and easier to get as well.

I asked the same question a year ago. I got the same people giving the same advice. I shot a G35 but that was about it. For the money, for me, the G34 was the best option. I did not want to deal with the DA/SA transition (did that before). Had S&W had the 5 inch M&P at the time I would have tried a M&P as well. Almost no one shoots a M&P in my area. I was thrilled with the Glock I tried so it was a easy choice. On a side note, I am replacing my CCW (Kahr) and my woods gun (revolver) with a G26 and G20. It's the one advantage Glock has. You can use the same basic gun for alot of different things since they make a 10mm.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I have a G34, XD9 Tactical & CZ SP01 Shadow. All excellent USPSA Production Division choices IMO.

G34 does not fit my hand well. I suffer severe slide bite as I have large hands & grip the gun as high as possible. Price is right & parts are plentiful. I wish I could get used to the grip angle & overcome the slide bite issue.

XD9 Tactical, fits me like a glove. As reliable as the G34 & with similar accuracy. I too had a cracked locking block, which was replaced with the newer version & no probs since.

CZ is a freak with accuracy. I have to work harder to shoot the G34 & XD9, as well as I do the CZ.

Once you shoot all 3, your choice will be made for you. Having held, but not shot the M&P I can't coment, but should be a contender.

1. CZ75 SP01 Shadow..

2. XD9 Tactical.

3. G34.

Cheers, Ando.

• 1 month later...

I was visiting Cali on some business, and went shooting at a local range with some friends. I rented a G34 as I was convinced that it was the gun for me. I shot horribly, as was the norm for me, hardly ever got out. Then I borrowed a friends sig P220 to try. I was MUCH better. He started talking to me about fit and ergonomics...how each gun and person are different. And encouraged me to buy what I shot well with.

I'm lucky that a local range has an impressive rental fleet. So I just rented every 9mm that seemed worthy on paper. The G34, P226, and M&P made the short list. I put 50 through each and compared the targets. My thought was that I'll get better with whatever I buy and practice, but the first impressions would give some input to how the ergos were/are for the gun.

The Sig and M&P I was better with than the G34. They both also felt more comfortable shooting, for me. The M&P was cheaper. I now shoot the M&P. With practice and about a thousand rounds, a few local steel shoots, an "Intro to IPSC" class (we shot a match after the match was done), and an IPSC match I've grown quite fond of the gun. The trigger has either smoothed out a bit, or I've grown used to it as well.

The XD, FWIW, at the time I made the decision wasn't allowed into the "production" class of IDPA due to the trigger being considered SAO vs striker fired ala Glock/M&P. I didn't like the feel of the grip safety either, which I'm sure would be a non issue with practice, but was hard for me to get over mentally... every time I picked it up I felt like I HAD to press hard on it.

I'm not a great shot (practicing and getting much better), and procedurals killed me at my first IPSC match. So take this with a grain or two of salt. Nor am I trying to bash glocks, results don't lie, there are many talented shooters with glocks. But I would suggest at least considering the M&P. And strongly suggest trying before you buy.

First step (in the gun shop): Pick one up, get a grip, close your eyes, then point it - open your eyes. Do not move the gun to line up the sights. Then, grab the other gun - repeat the steps. One of the options should seem VERY clear to you.

Second step (at the range): Shoot em. At least a box through each.

Third step: buy the one you like.

There are fundamental differences between the big three:

-The Glock has the best aftermarket and OE parts availability.

-The XD is made for the folks who can't live with anything but 1911 ergo's.

-The M&P is the most comfortable to shoot and handle.

Common issues with all of them:

-Glocks feel like you're shooting with a 1x4 or 2x4 in your hands. They point high for most folks. Stock and easily moddable trigger parts produce mushy trigger, due to the design of the mechanism.

-XD's and M&P's both suffer from OE parts availability problems. Both are capable of exceptionally nice triggers, but almost exclusively with custom filing/stoning/smithing.

Of course, these are just my opinions, and others are bound to disagree, but just laying some fairly well accepted points out there for you. If you can deal with the way the Glock's point and feel, then they are probably the best bet in the long run. If not, check out the XD and M&P. The M&P is a bit more user friendly with the different sized backstraps and ergos, but the XD is also a great option. Springfield is comming out with a new XD, so don't pay too much for one of the standard/old models.

First step (in the gun shop): Pick one up, get a grip, close your eyes, then point it - open your eyes. Do not move the gun to line up the sights. Then, grab the other gun - repeat the steps. One of the options should seem VERY clear to you.

-Glocks feel like you're shooting with a 1x4 or 2x4 in your hands. They point high for most folks. Stock and easily moddable trigger parts produce mushy trigger, due to the design of the mechanism.

-XD's and M&P's both suffer from OE parts availability problems. Both are capable of exceptionally nice triggers, but almost exclusively with custom filing/stoning/smithing.

Of course, these are just my opinions, and others are bound to disagree, but just laying some fairly well accepted points out there for you. If you can deal with the way the Glock's point and feel, then they are probably the best bet in the long run. If not, check out the XD and M&P. The M&P is a bit more user friendly with the different sized backstraps and ergos, but the XD is also a great option. Springfield is comming out with a new XD, so don't pay too much for one of the standard/old models.

I think you need to check out a good Glock trigger.

AKA "Vanek"

I know I do - but the point is kind of moot with me. It can have the best trigger on the planet, but it'll still feel the same when it goes bang, and I don't care to have to adjust my index to suit their ergo's. Different strokes as they say...

In production, I shoot a G34. It's what I had. I have a M&P 9mm as a plinker and as the grip angle is the same (as far I can tell) as a 1911, I reload it better. In an ideal world, for Production, I'd use a CZ.

That said, the pistols to consider IMHO:

- G34 (sights, springs, trigger job, done)

- CZ75 SPO1 (Angus' magic done to it)

- M&P 9mm (but I'd wait 'til the 5" are available)

- XD 9mm Tac (tuned by Springer or Canyon Creek)

Rich

You can break it down a hundred ways, but for my money:

Fit. Honestly if you haven't already put in thousands of rounds on a platform, you can learn anything. I shoot Glock, but the M&P feels great to me as well, and I love Berettas.

Price. They're all fairly equal, but for aftermarket Glock wins.

Reliability. Again, mostly equal.

Maintenance. Glock is still the king for the toothpick takedown.

So I went with Glock. I never liked the damn things either, until I learned. I like that I can take it ALL the way down to the ground with a stick, and put it back together. I also like that I can't blame the gun; it runs all the time, I can stick whatever I want on it, and it hits what I aim at. That being said, the factory trigger and sights are crap, so add on $150 immediately to rectify that problem.

H.

I switched from Open to Production shooting a G34 and I'm having a blast with it. Aftermarket parts are easy to come by.

Side note, one of my shooting buddies has an M+P which is on its way back to SA to get some issues resolved.

Got to shoot what you trust though.

Side note, one of my shooting buddies has an M+P which is on its way back to SA to get some issues resolved.

Let him know he'll have better luck sending it to S&W. :)

From what I've seen on mp-forums.com, S&W has been very responsive to gets stuff fixed. But at the same time, there are a few folks having issues. Hard to tell how much of it is abnormal vs. just the usual concentration of issues you see on the internet.