Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 38 Super Powder/Loads

dand38s

I have been out of the sport for some time. I am getting back in with a new 38 Super Open gun. I am having a hard time finding VV N350 and that is what I used in my previous open gun. When you can find it the price is outrageous.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for a starting point with powder and maybe a good starting load using 115 gr. Montana Gold JHP and also I am trying some 124 gr. JHP to see the difference.

I am running a 5 inch barrel with a Dawson's awesome comp #2 four upper ports and one side port on each side comp.

I read the posts about Longshot and think I will try that powder also.

Thanks for the help.

i like the slow stuff...N105 and 3N38, they are kinda harsh shooting though. i have also used 7625 and it is very soft shooting...

alot of open shooters around here like longshot. i have yet to try it.

Edited by W.Abrahams

I use IMR 7625 for several reasons. I like the feel when loaded to major PF in my gun.

Second is it's availability, price and third it's clean burn.

I also like VV350 and VV3N38 but availability is the downside.

For me, powder selection in an open gun takes more time and effort than Standard/Limited division due to the different configurations of the pistols involved.

Good luck on your choice.

I'm running N350 with MG 121 IFPs and it's a very accurate, clean and predictable combo. I haven't had a major problem getting 350 in the past year, but it's not always available exactly when you need it, so grab an extra 4lb container or two when you can and you're set. Many of the bigger matches have had folks selling VV powders and they usually have a decent selection (typically around $80 for 4lbs). I've got some 3n38 stocked up to try after the Double Tap as well as some Longshot.

• 2 weeks later...
Been using IMR 4756 behind 121g MG bullets. I am extremely impressed with this powder. Clean, consistent, available and priced right.

+1

If price is the issue, 4756 does a good job and is readily available.

I'm curious Boz, what is your load with the 121 MG.

I shoot the 125 Zero hollow points, or at least I shoot them when I can find them.

My gun seems to like this combination but the dot movement gets out of hand quickly when going much above major.

At around 168 PF, all is well.

8.5 grains of 4756 gets me there.

Go higher and the gun doesn't behave as well.

I hadn't considered the 121 bullet because it is .355 instead of .356.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Tls

Edited by 38superman

I've beem using IMR 4756 with Zero 125 gr. JHPs. I load them with 8.6 grains to an OAL of 1.233 inches using Winchester SRPs.

However, I have now used up all my Zeros and have not been able to find any more. As a result, I have just received my first order of Montana Gold 124 JHPs. I intend to use 4756 again but will need to work up the correct load and OAL.

Edited by XD Niner