Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 discontinued?

Revopop

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

internet speculation

Why would they want to discontinue the gun used by their most recognizable spokesperson to set several world records? It just doesn't make any damn sense! :wacko:

S&W has one standard production 625 for 2008: 625JM 45acp 4" SS WoodGrp As 6shot #160936

The 4" and 5" barrels were discontinued at the end of 2007, but that just means that S&W won't be building them for a few years. 625's represent a very, very small percentage of overall revolver sales and Jerry set most of his speed records with a 38.

I'm sure that it's true that 625s are one of their least selling models, but how much harder can it be for them to produce a 5" if they're still producing a 4"? I do understand that S&W supports the shooting sports and I laud them for it, but I find it a little annoying that they're discontinuing this model. It seems that a relatively easy (and relatively cheap for them) way to support USPSA would be to not discontinue USPSA revolver's most popular model.

This might explain the recent price increase in used five inch models.

I'm sure that it's true that 625s are one of their least selling models, but how much harder can it be for them to produce a 5" if they're still producing a 4"? I do understand that S&W supports the shooting sports and I laud them for it, but I find it a little annoying that they're discontinuing this model. It seems that a relatively easy (and relatively cheap for them) way to support USPSA would be to not discontinue USPSA revolver's most popular model.

USPSA doesn't want revo shooters. Why else would they not allow 7 or 8 shot models to shoot revo division. Ask MV what his opinion is on Revo's.

or just watch the video on the uspsa website.

With the 7 & 8 shot going to ICORE and other disiplines be cause of the 6 shot limit in USPSA it is no wonder that S&W decided to discontinue the model.

I have been looking for one for a few months, Even called Smith a few weeks back to see if I could get a lead on one. The nice lady said that they are still in production, but couldn't tell me who has any stock.

I did find one on GB, but I keep getting out bid... :unsure:

OK, everybody hold the phrickin' phone......

S&W still has the 5" 625 listed on its website as stock number 160927: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...nt_category_rn=

I checked a couple distributors, and they're in stock right now at various locations.

It sure looks to me like the "demise of the 625" is all a bunch of internet BS.

Y'know, guys, Ti cylinders are not a complete panacea. They seem to eliminate the notch peening issue, I'll grant you, but that is not a universal problem. There is a tangible increase in recoil impulse of a gun after the Ti cylinder is installed. You can't take out that much weight without feeling the difference.

I can think of several people who tried the Ti cylinder and went back to standard stainless, for that and other reasons. Like most things in life, it's a trade-off.

I'm not saying don't try it, I'm just saying it may not be quite what you expect.

Edited by Carmoney

Y'know, guys, Ti cylinders are not a complete panacea. They seem to eliminate the notch peening issue, I'll grant you, but that is not a universal problem. There is a tangible increase in recoil impulse of a gun after the Ti cylinder is installed. You can't take out that much weight without feeling the difference.

I can think of several people who tried the Ti cylinder and went back to standard stainless, for that and other reasons. Like most things in life, it's a trade-off.

I'm not saying don't try it, I'm just saying it may not be quite what you expect.

I agree completely. Didn't like the Ti cyl in my 5" gun. It's now in another 625 that's getting a longer heavier barrel to give me the weight back.

4" JM with Ti cyl? Shoot a 5" with a Ti cyl and see if you still think it's a good idea.

Edited by Tom E

OK, everybody hold the phrickin' phone......

S&W still has the 5" 625 listed on its website as stock number 160927: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...nt_category_rn=

I checked a couple distributors, and they're in stock right now at various locations.

It sure looks to me like the "demise of the 625" is all a bunch of internet BS.

No sir, the other distributors have inventory carry over from past orders. You can't trust what's on the internet; I know of some firearms manufacturers that have products listed on their websites that were discontinued several years back. S&W has discontinued production for 2008 on the plain 4" and 5" 625's. That doesn't mean that some remain on wholesale shelves or even in S&W stock rooms.

Take heart, the 610's were taken out of production four years ago and have returned for 2008.

Edited by Middle Man

If you believe that this is truly going to happen I have a NIB 625-8 5" that was Carmonized, Miculek grips, Millet rear sight and SDM fiber front sight that was only test fired by Carmony himself. I have never sighted in the revolver as I never had time and it was just going to be a backup. With the hysteria taking place the first $1000.00 takes it. Nothing of mine is for sale but it can be bought. Pass the word and let all know. :D