Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 discontinued?

Revopop

Talked to the Factory S&W reps at the GAT Guns factory show, and they ARE NOT discontinuing any model of the 625.

While I may be feeding a troll here and at the risk of repeating myself multiple times:

The only 625 in the S&W 2008 Wholesale Price List is the 4" 625JM #160936 and the only 625 listed in the 2008 catalog is the same 625JM.

And FWIW from my point of view deep in the bowels of the firearms industry, integrity is a quality often in short supply. Especially, when it comes down to answering direct questions regarding product availability. Additionally, there are a lot of people working in the firearms world that are just plain lazy and often don't have correct information (and that's not just at the dealer level).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Mike

a friend of mine loaned me a S&W N frame in 38 super. The hammer is all buggered up and I am getting really LIGHT hits on the primers.

Could you roughen up the trigger and tighten the springs or replace them so the primers will light?

Paul plans to use it to shoot the IRC and he needs a good reliable gun.

dcs

Hey, Mike

a friend of mine loaned me a S&W N frame in 38 super. The hammer is all buggered up and I am getting really LIGHT hits on the primers.

Could you roughen up the trigger and tighten the springs or replace them so the primers will light?

Paul plans to use it to shoot the IRC and he needs a good reliable gun.

dcs

Sure, David, I know just exactly what to do with your friend's gun. ;)

In light of all this depressing news I am happy to say that I just got home with not one but two (TWO!) unfired pre-MIM 625s - a 3" full lug 625-4 and a 4" Commemorative 625-4 Mountain Gun. While neither of these is exactly competition worthy, I also got a stainless steel cylinder (no notch peening) AND a 5" full lug barrel. So I am in 625 Heaven. The 3" gun will be my new full time concealed carry gun, retaining the full power springs so that it is not primer sensitive and my old, heavily utilized and very smooth 4" full lug gun will be a dedicated match gun. When I wear that one out I will have a replacement cylinder and a 5" barrel if I should decide I want the longer barrel.

I gave up my 627-4 and a chunk of change to have all this and I must say I am very pleased. These are two of the nicest revolvers that S&W ever made, in my opinion, and these two versions are likely gone forever. It's really heartbreaking. The future looks very bleak but I am delighted to have these two examples of the 625 at its best.

Hopefully this will be the motivation I need to become the hardcore revolver shooter and competitor that I was just a few short years ago. I am already feeling a strong desire to cast aside the auto and shoot only my revolvers. I think I'm on the road to becoming a born again revolver shooter.

Dave Sinko