Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aluminum STI frame

bigsaxdog

i can get a "bubba" deal on a STI long/wide aluminum frame. never seen any of these built up, just don't know/clueless. going to build a limited .40, but am reluctant to start w/ this. will it work? can you build a 50,000rd. limited gun on an aluminum frame? will it take that beating? is that gonna be too light? can't beat the price, but don't want to do all the work and have a quickly worn out frame. need some answers/opinions. anybody here got one? :blink:

Call Chris Schirmer at STI, he once told me of an Aluminum frame with a bunch of rounds through it. Can't recall if it was 100 or 200 thousand rounds through it. Besides, if it breaks, they'll replace it.

Sheldon has a point, and if you can get it for cheap enough.... I say grab it and do your own testing. :D

I have built a few compact wide body carry guns on those frames. Real nice results.

Roger Sigman, ( SPA Shooters) who is a long time USPSA shooter and a STI distributor has used one of these aluminum frames for an Open gun for several years without any issues.

All said, the suggestion of "Accu-rail" is a wise one. I would also add some good shock buffers, but that's me, because I like shock buffs.

Ion Bond, a really GOOD fit when its built and a good balance on the springs and it should last a long time.----------Larry

Oookay Larry. Now it's your turn to start a thread and 'splain spring balancing. :unsure:

A friend and I were yakking about this the other day. I *think* I know what you mean, but what's considered a "good balance?"

Thanks!

Ion Bond, a really GOOD fit when its built and a good balance on the springs and it should last a long time.----------Larry

Oookay Larry. Now it's your turn to start a thread and 'splain spring balancing. :unsure:

A friend and I were yakking about this the other day. I *think* I know what you mean, but what's considered a "good balance?"

Thanks!

Eric, I think I'll try to do it here. First off, I'm not a gunsmith, let alone a good gunsmith. But I know a really good one and I get to shoot a lot of guns, some very good ones and some just plumb terrible. I think balance is where the gun is fully fuctioning but not beating the snot out of itsself or the shooter. There are a lot of variables in there, main spring, recoil spring, slide fit and the feed ramp, the load and the shooter. I" think" I'm just saying it's a feel thing, I dont always know how they got that way but I know a good one when I shoot it.-------------Larry

thanx alot for all the ideas! gotta call STI, see what they gotta say. ya' know, it never hurts to read the instructions. venry, i know roger and have seen his gun. it does run like a scalded dog, so i know the thing is possible. i just always like heavy guns, so that's the basis of my quandary. have a couple of ion-bonded guns, and i know ryan does something over some kind of anodization, so thinkin' about that too. will post after i talk to STI. thanx, everyone......dave moss

• 5 months later...

Imagine my surprise when I found out the frame I won was Aluminum. I did not even know STI made a long wide 2011 frames out of this material.

Looks like my open project will be but on hold. At least I'll have the mags for when I start looking for parts again.

Alloy frames are generally only surfaced hardened, Fitting a slide will remove alot of that hardening unless all fitting is done at the slide or the frame is rehardened after fitting. The extra expense of shipping and metal treatments after fitting if you arnt allready setup for it will probably exceed the cost savings you are getting on the frame.

Alloy frames are generally only surfaced hardened, Fitting a slide will remove alot of that hardening unless all fitting is done at the slide or the frame is rehardened after fitting. The extra expense of shipping and metal treatments after fitting if you arnt allready setup for it will probably exceed the cost savings you are getting on the frame.

That's kind of how I am seeing it.

300? (guess) for acu-rails

300? (guess) for IonBond

+ nextday shipping twice.

or just get a new steel short frame and use this one as a paper weight.

Hello: I don't think they can Ion Bond aluminum unless they chrome it first. I would go for the steel frame for your build. Aluminum will not hold up since it work hardens and will become brittle. It would make a great carry gun frame or a base for a 22 pistol. Thanks, Eric

They can Ion Bond Aluminum. It won't make it hard though. You must Hard Ano it first (clear) then send it for Ion Bonding. Yes the coating will be hard, but not the underlying aluminum.

I'm looking for a standard aluminum frame at the moment (not wide).