Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC Convertible Comp Mount

ima45dv8

I was able to wrangle a visit to the secret World Headquaters of SJC Custom today and had a chance to fondle some of their products. We were picking up my friend's Open G17 blaster that had just undergone a n-i-c-e trigger job and Steve started dangling pretty baubles before me. I wish he wouldn't do that. :D

Confession: I am not normally a Glock driver. I have a 17 with a nice Sotelo trigger kit in it that I occasionally take out for a drive, but my primary love is the 1911/2011 platform. I must avoid their shop before I do something foolish.

One of the pretty things Steve handed me was one of their convertible mounts. Apparently, you can slap this baby on your standard G-Lock and turn it into a compensated mean-machine in a few seconds. OK, for me, it might take a good bit longer, but it's very sexy! It weighed somewhere close to nothing and turns your box stock beast into an Open gun. It's at the bottom of their home page. Uber-cool!

*Another confession: My head is easily turned by pretty girls, and blocks of metal that have been subjected to well-engineered machining.

If SJC puts it out = gotta get it. Steave stands behind everything they do! :D

-loyal SJC customer; Mike

Being that Steave & John shoot at our local indoor & out door clubs I had a chance to shoot

one of the convertables in 40s&w. I could've sworn I was shooting 9mm mouse farts :lol:

Another loyal S&J customer

Edited by TruStreet

• 1 month later...

About to "pull the trigger" on one for my G35. Hoping to see a review anywhere on one. If you know someone who

shoots it please send them our way. I want to pick their brain. Appreciate it.

Jim M

Lord o'mighty, it is sweet.

I'd like one, too! -To bad getting it to Denmark is jsut a dream, because of all those crazy rules regarding gun parts :P

I can only see one issue, that potentially breaks up the cheering and festivities.... [flamesuit on]

To dismantle the gun to clean the barrel, slide and and frame is, that the pins has to be driven out of the frame every time, to do that.

Me not like that too much. Afaik, the pinholes are perhaps the weakest part of a Glock.

Nice looking work thou'! :cheers:

I can only see one issue, that potentially breaks up the cheering and festivities.... [flamesuit on]

To dismantle the gun to clean the barrel, slide and and frame is, that the pins has to be driven out of the frame every time, to do that.

Me not like that too much. Afaik, the pinholes are perhaps the weakest part of a Glock.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Can't very well pull the slide off the front of the frame if the compensator is a part of the mount that's attached to the frame.

Just a single single screw is used to replace trigger/slide stop pin. The opposite side of the mount has a flush heli-arched "nut" to secure it. No thread lock required. The mount hole in front of the trigger is cosmetic. Remove the trigger pin. Slide the mount onto the accessory rail and line up holes. Make sure the slide stop is positioned correctly. Insert screw and tighten down finger tight. To clean gun, unscrew same, slide off comp mount. Field strip normally and clean. Pay attention to your slide stop since it's free now to hide in the carpet. That's pretty much it.

The compensator's effect will be very load dependent. I suppose thats true for most comps. I do not expect it to perform as

well as todays big dollar .38 Super or SC. However I have it on good authority that I will be pleasantly surprised with it's

effectiveness. We shall see.

I have made up five different test loads based on Rainiers 135gr FP and TiteGroup. Included too is some Winchester Ranger 155gr HP (183 PF :surprise: ) and 165gr WWB I had sitting on a shelf. If it shows up soon me and Chrony are taking it out. The office will have to wait. More soon.

...edited in an attempt to appear lucid.

Jim M

Edited by JimmyM

Wow Jim... that looks very nice! You shooting Tues Night Steel next week? We can compare new blasters. My Henning/Canyon CreekTanfoglio with a Barry mount just got mailed today.

I might. Hope to shoot a Production, Limited/Limited 10 and Open classifier at the Hosemaster match this Sat., with the same gun. :) This thing will need some break in and a good load to run it. Could take some time. Guarantee you will really like Rich D.'s work. Serious skills.

Jim M

Installed it today. Fits like a glove. High quality piece. Sighting in tomorrow, I hope.

Hope the picture does it justice.

Stay tuned.

Jim M

Hello Jim

Quick Question What type of holster are you going to

use with this setup..

thinking this might be a good starting place for the kids

to start shooting.

Thanks

J Kee

Cr Speed. Same one I use with the limited set up. I just lower the holster platform and go.

I found that the holsters large white plastic "elevation" screw is not required with the conversion installed.

Jim M

Edited by JimmyM

It's maiden cruise went very well. This is my first dot. I find myself WAY over doing the adjustment thing while sighting it in.

Harmon. Since the sight is "stationary" on the frame mounted platform as opposed to riding the slide I hope to get

some longevity from it. We'll see. No pun intended. :)

spook. I agree. My intention is to erode it in record time ;) then do a round count. Seriously though I'll settle on a

load using a heavy (180gr) bullet going turd slow. Limping over the PF. It will probably out last me.

Jim M

More of a long term thing, but I wonder how the Aluminum comp will hold up.

I guess you could shoot it till it erodes, then cut off everything in front of the scope mount and swap over to a conventional thread on comp and barrel.