Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC Convertible Comp Mount

ima45dv8

More of a long term thing, but I wonder how the Aluminum comp will hold up.

I guess you could shoot it till it erodes, then cut off everything in front of the scope mount and swap over to a conventional thread on comp and barrel.

A comp is a wear item. If you figure this whole setup is a comp, then that's an expensive comp!

It also would surprise me if SJC had considered the erosion problem and firgured a way to refit the comp with Steel baffles later in it's live. Jimmy, I'd give some thought to the load. While the 180 slow load will extend the live of the comp it won't do much to work it either. There just isn't a lot of gas pressure with that combo. A light bullet going faster will give better comp performance in the .40, you would just have to live with shorter comp life. Your choice.

Business and a huge 3 gun match at Rio this week has limited my range time with the conversion. I did get to test some loads however. 8.7grs of Longshot with Rainier 135 work well. But nothing feels better than 6.3grs of Longshot and Rainiers 180gr FP. The Fastfire is working fine though I must admit I struggled sighting it in. A little goes a LONG way there. Hope to steal more time with it later next week.

Jim M

Edited by JimmyM

I guess you could shoot it till it erodes, then cut off everything in front of the scope mount and swap over to a conventional thread on comp and barrel.

what I like about this setup is that the comp is not attached to the barrel, so you can shoot light loads and the gun's reliability/functioning doesn't change vs. a regular comp.

So yes, that could be done, but to me that would turn the unit into an expensive mount ;)

what I like about this setup is that the comp is not attached to the barrel, so you can shoot light loads and the gun's reliability/functioning doesn't change vs. a regular comp.

So yes, that could be done, but to me that would turn the unit into an expensive mount ;)

Pretty much boils down to this. If you have a great 180gr 40 S&W load (minor or major) for your G35. It just got better :) Add the dot and dare I say better yet? You can use all the spring and load combos your heart desires. All long as it runs your G35 great, well you get the idea. A mistake is trying to run it like an open 9 or 38 IMHO. It's still a fuggly 40 caliber Glock. But things just got more interesting for sure.

Jim M

• 1 month later...
The SJC covertable comp/mount was just reviewed in Front Sight - May/June 2008 - pp 28-30.

What a great innovative idea!

Love mine. Great concept.

Jim M

tell me how that sight holds up

Harmon

Doing very well so far. This is my first dot so no historical reference. The self adjustments it makes to accommodate different light levels works nicely. My eyes tell me I should have moved to the dark side many moons ago. Better late then never I guess.

Jim M

tell me how that sight holds up

Harmon

Doing very well so far. This is my first dot so no historical reference. The self adjustments it makes to accommodate different light levels works nicely. My eyes tell me I should have moved to the dark side many moons ago. Better late then never I guess.

Jim M

glad u like it Jimmy

anyone know if they are thinking of an XD conversion?

Shot this as part of another potential article on SJC's custom Glock gear.

p293943632-5.jpg

You like?

Patrick

B) This might make a trade of the G24 and get a G35 so I can play with this. But then a G35 slide set up for the G24 frame might work too :D

Tempting oh so Tempting!

DW

I'd like to see one with a CMore.It looks like there'd be room for one??

SJC's concern is that if a sight extends past the end of the base it would interfere with brass ejection. But...if the port were lowered...hmmm.

Jim M

I was thinking they could add some to the forward end of the mount portion.That would probably require a blast shield though.Also,maybe they're thinking of doing one for the 17/22 series of guns?If thats the case,then a C-More probably wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first Open classifier ever today. The comp-mount worked perfectly. Can't say the same for me though. We shot CM08-04 "Seven" today at Rio. Time 4.63 and HF 7.1274 dropped 2 points and I was totally focused on the dot. Dang. Gotta practice and dryfire a lot.

Jim M

What do you guys think about using the SJC Convertible Comp Mount on a G34 for 9mm Major?

I was thinking of using a KKM Drop-in G34 Barrel too.

Normally I run a 125gr Zero JSP with 8.1gr HS6 @ 1.155 OAL. I've been using this load fairly safely for a while. I chronoed it at around 1360FPS (170PF), but Coltgov thinks the Chrony chronograph underestimates the velocity, so it might be even hotter than that.

Concerns or Opinions? Slide cracking? Not full coverage of the casing because it isn't a gunsmith-fit barrel?

What do you guys think about using the SJC Convertible Comp Mount on a G34 for 9mm Major?

I was thinking of using a KKM Drop-in G34 Barrel too.

Normally I run a 125gr Zero JSP with 8.1gr HS6 @ 1.155 OAL. I've been using this load fairly safely for a while. I chronoed it at around 1360FPS (170PF), but Coltgov thinks the Chrony chronograph underestimates the velocity, so it might be even hotter than that.

Concerns or Opinions? Slide cracking? Not full coverage of the casing because it isn't a gunsmith-fit barrel?

I think you are still searching for the open 9 major glock setup that suits you.

It's worth a try.

You will be loading less powder to compensate for the increase in velocity with the longer g34 barrel.

The KKM drop in barrel's case support is similar to the LWD's.

Slide cracking who knows. Just check for cracks after every match. I still do that with my setup in G17c.

All open glock 9s are subject to some form of failure sooner or later. Just have to keep on top of it.

• 2 years later...

So, what are your thoughts after three years?

Would this be a good setup for a young shooter on the G34, so he can try other divisions? Is it worth it if you are only going to shoot factory 9mm?

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

• 2 months later...

I'm very interested to see what the long term use reports are. With my eyesight, I really do need to start thinking about shooting a red dot and this seems like the "simplest" solution I can find. Just pop it on my G35 and load up some light fast .40's and rock.

I also note that they only offer the G17/G22 model in their online store. But the copy still talks about a G34/G35 version.

Folks, I am planning to use a third generation G17 for IPSC and was wondering whether this item fitted the bill and whether C-more sights could be installed. Thanks for your attention.