Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switching between glocks and 1911s

Glshooter

I have a hard time switching back and forth between glocks and 1911s. I can adjust to the different trigger pulls soon enough but the trouble seems to be the difference in grip angle. After switching it takes a while to get on target quickly due to the difference. My question is, would an arched mainspring housing help the 1911 come closer to the angle of the Glock. The flat housing is way too different. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I have a hard time switching back and forth between glocks and 1911s. I can adjust to the different trigger pulls soon enough but the trouble seems to be the difference in grip angle. After switching it takes a while to get on target quickly due to the difference. My question is, would an arched mainspring housing help the 1911 come closer to the angle of the Glock. The flat housing is way too different. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I have a few issues when I switch one to another, but I avoid it. Pick one and shoot it long term. If you are going to switch, make the switch long term. That's the answer I came up with after tanking with my STI every time I went to shoot it 'just for fun'.

I had the same problem with the grip angles. In my area I can shoot a IDPA match almost ever weekend and a USPSA match once a month. I enjoy shooting my STI limited more than IDPA so I just broke down and bought a STI 9mm for IDPA and boxed the glocks. I was a big bullet to bite but I really do enjoy shooting the STIs and I just didnt want to give up the limited gun.

My question is, would an arched mainspring housing help the 1911 come closer to the angle of the Glock.

I've switched to arched mainspring housings on a couple of my 1911's and it helps when switching back and forth with Glocks. The only problem for me is I have a little more of a problem depressing the grip safety. I have adjusted them to release easier.

Here's my suggestion.

Double Action 1911 a.k.a. Para LDA

I have a 9mm Hi Cap that I can load down to 10 rounds to play in production or load 18 +1 for carry.

Think about it.

Edited by 38superman

Switch to an XD, that's what I did. Love the XD, grip matches well with my 1911 single stack and my 16-40 Para.

I had the Glock 35 grip reduced. to match the 1911. Great gun now, but can only use it in USPSA limited.

If I did not live in CA, I would look at the CCF, we can't get them here. Not an CA approved handgun.

My question is, would an arched mainspring housing help the 1911 come closer to the angle of the Glock.

I've switched to arched mainspring housings on a couple of my 1911's and it helps when switching back and forth with Glocks. The only problem for me is I have a little more of a problem depressing the grip safety. I have adjusted them to release easier.

Same here. An arched MSH helps me out, for sure. (Does the Ed Brown "wedge" work even better? Still made?)

Also, I prefer to press the gun out to the target from (or through) the high ready position. This gets the gun in my line of sight as I present it out. That helps my body find the front sight.

I, regardless of platform, usually press the gun out with the "nose up" attitude on the gun. The front sight is sticking up by itself...and I drive it onto the target (SPOT).

Same here. An arched MSH helps me out, for sure. (Does the Ed Brown "wedge" work even better? Still made?)

Arched mainspring does make a difference but, the bigger problem for me is remembering to deal with that lever next to your thumb. If I transition from a Revo or a Glock to 1911, inadvertently I will fail to disengage the safety or unintentionally re-engage it while recovering from the previous shot. This stuff settles down after a few rounds once my brain gets reset for the different frame. (In other words it helps if you shoot the same plaform consistently and avoid the temptation to shoot a different flavor at each match)

Flex,

The Ed Brown Wedge makes a big difference (at least for me). However, I found the base of the wedge cutting into my hand on long shooting sessions. So, a trip to the belt grinder and I turned it into a "fat" arch. I liked it enough that I modified 4 others that I had.

For and S_I, a ZM arch (from Dawson) will accomplish the same thing as it's "fatter" than the standard STI arch.

I fought the problem switching over, and gave up. I then bought an XD and never looked back. The Glock doesnt fit me and bites the web of my hand something fierce. Now they are making GLocktails with the beavertail, so I might be able to shoot one without it biting me.

I also now have a SW m&P. It allows me to switch from 1911s to Polymers and not have to change my index. We are fortunate to have more options today.

DougC

I switched all of my 1911's and STI's to arched mainspring housings. I have small hands and never tried them before

but I like arched much better than flat. It will help the switchback and forth to Glocks too. I would like to try a msh with a larger arch than standard. With all of the 1911 and S_I pictures that get posted on the web ,I find it amazing that almost all show flat housings.

in response to Trader's thought, the flat mainspring housing fits many people better then the arched housing. others prefer the arched version. it is a matter of preference. i must have the flat version or the gun points at an odd angle.