Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder to use for a 40 load in pl,lace of 320N

rugerp89ipsc

I was wondering what you guys might be able to suggest was a replacement for 320N in a 40 load with 180 precision bullets? I have been trying to find more 320N, but apparently it is not longer available???? I am fairly ignorant as to what kind of powder to use with what bullets at what speeds, but I have been shooting major for uspsa and would like to stay that.

Also, is there a powder I could use for 40 that would work well with a 9mm, or does the difference in bullet size make a difference in what kind/speed burning powder you use?

Also, where does everyone on here usually get powder. I know it is expensive to ship, but the super cool new by Cabelas down the street from me only sells 1lb bottles of powder and it seems crazy to me to buy such a small amount. Are guns shows the best way to go to pick up powder at a decent price without paying the huge shipping costs?

Can you tell it has been 3+ years since I have been reloading....

Lastly, any good suggestions on books to buy to learn a little more on the physics, chemistry or whatever behind reloading?

:D

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

I wouldn't use Titegroup with Precision bullets. Too hot and it burns the coating, making lots of smoke and possible leading. I like Universal Clays in .40, but I haven't had good experiences with Precision bullets and that powder. I've been using 200gr. bullets and the smoke is thick! Can't see my front sight after the first shot on a day with no wind! I'm using Power Pistol at the moment, which is working better. You should be able to get N320 though.

TiteGroup for 9 & 40. Rudy Warren's moly coated cast lead Billy Bullets. My "stuff" is purchased from a few "pushers" who

have been shooting at Rio Salado since dirt was clean. Have used many propellants but keep returning to TiteGroup. It's

cost, meter consistency and performance are real tough to beat. IMHO of course.

Jim M

Do a search for Ramshot Competition or Solo 1000, they would be my second choice and I have them on the shelf as we speak.....

DougC

Another vote for Solo 1000 - especially with coated bullets. The shotgun/trap clubs near you should have Solo 1000 on hand in 4 or 8 lb containers.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Round Rock about a week and a half ago - they had 4 1# containers of N320 on the shelf... ;) SW sucks at supply, so if they don't have it.... wait a month and they will again... :D

II have been trying to find more 320N, but apparently it is not longer available????

If you are ever in San Antonio, HoSports on Culebra has some 4#'ers in stock right now. $92 and change per keg.

JS

Awesome. Do you know what the cross street is or what his hours are?

Thanks alot.

I shot TiteGroup and Precision bullets all last year. I didn't really notice how smokey it was until Nationals. The last day I shot in the morning and our first stage had several targets that were facing the rising sun. After the first rounds went off it was damn near impossible to see. I think TG is ok with jacketed bullets but there is probably a better choice for moly coated. I have als become less than pleased with the mess.

yeah, even with the n320, it is pretty smokey. I never noticed until I was shooting at dusk the other day.

Do they still make west coast bullets?

tite group is one of the best 40 powders for the money. i can sell you 8lbs for $105.

it's burn rate is very close to 320, just a little faster.

blunt10@gmail.com