Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 325 TR

David Sinko

I see S&W now has the 325 TR Defensive Revolver. I am sad to say that I do NOT like what S&W is making these days but this revolver has my attention. The cylinder can hold individual rounds without moonclips! The hammer and trigger are forged! The barrel is the perfect length of 4"! But the barrel... It is described as having "shallow rifling." Is this a euphamism for polygonal rifling? Will this revolver shoot cast bullets? The rail setup on the bottom is pretty neat but the ejector rod has obviously been shortened considerably for this to happen. And the biggest question of all... How will the scandium frame hold up? Is this just another gun that's meant to be carried a lot and shot a little? What is the track record of the scandium frames? If it won't hold up to a lot of shooting then it isn't worth a damn. With an MSRP of $1310 I expect an awful lot. Any thoughts or experiences?

Dave Sinko

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the rest of your questions , but I thought for a "DEFENSIVE" Revolver with input from C Smith , it would have a full length ejector. Even with rounds on a moonclip I would like to have a full length ejector, especially on a combat gun.

Dave,

The 325TR has not hit the streets yet. Maybe it will make its debut Saturday at the Shot Show. I have been looking at it for over a year. As far as I can see, the Performance Center only built one revolver. Clint Smith used it in his DVDs and it is the same one that was used in the Guns and American Handgunner tests. Clint said that he put 5000 rounds through it without any problems.

What I find strange about it is that it was in last years S&W downloadable catalog without a price, but not on their website. In December, it went on the website with a price, but my dealer says that it is not on the 2008 price list.

Hopefully, we get to see one soon.

Thought I would weigh in here.....

I don't see the point in this model, other than to capitalize further on the whole S&W/TR/AH marketing thing.

This revolver would not be a great choice as a competition rig for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

And I don't really see the point in trying to carry an N-frame on a regular basis. As much as I like wheelguns, I'd much rather carry one of my Commanders and have 50% more capacity in a much smaller, lighter, flatter, more concealable, more comfortable package. Frankly, I think most of the people who love to talk about carrying N-frames around are much more into talking than actually carrying. (There's a whack-job on one of the other gun forums, for example, who claims he's a federal agent and never goes out of the house without five handguns on his person, including two 629s.....)

If somebody wants to explain what the 325TR would be useful for, I'd be willing to listen.

Edited by Carmoney

Regarding the shallow rifling, that will not work really well with cast bullets unless you go way oversize which distorts the bullet and messes up accuracy. The shallow rifling is designed for jadketed rounds and you might be able to get by with plated if they are slightly oversize say .001 such as traditionally used with cast bullets with deep rifling.

By the way, if you try plated bullets keep the speed down as low as possible. The copper plating strips really easily.. I had a Model 19 that stripped the plating off as it entered the forcing cone. Everybody standing to the side of me loved being sprayed by copper.

Thought I would weigh in here.....

I don't see the point in this model, other than to capitalize further on the whole S&W/TR/AH marketing thing.

This revolver would not be a great choice as a competition rig for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

And I don't really see the point in trying to carry an N-frame on a regular basis. As much as I like wheelguns, I'd much rather carry one of my Commanders and have 50% more capacity in a much smaller, lighter, flatter, more concealable, more comfortable package. Frankly, I think most of the people who love to talk about carrying N-frames around are much more into talking than actually carrying. (There's a whack-job on one of the other gun forums, for example, who claims he's a federal agent and never goes out of the house without five handguns on his person, including two 629s.....)

If somebody wants to explain what the 325TR would be useful for, I'd be willing to listen.

You see, Mike? That's why you lost your gunscribe gig... If you want back into the gunrags you need to say it's the ULTIMATE revo!! :goof:

I'm with Carmony. I've had a few N-frame "carry" guns over the years and quickly decided to carry something else anywhere but out in the boonies.

The 'shallow rifling' is probably the standard rifling in the 45 ACP guns.. Jerry once said he asked S&W why the rifling was so shallow and they said "because that's how the Army ordered them in 1917".. and they'd never changed it.

And I don't really see the point in trying to carry an N-frame on a regular basis.

Well crap Mike! I've been carrying my 3 1/2" model 27 (OWB) at the plant for the past few weeks. I'm carrying my 3" 65 today but when I get home I'm throwin' that 27 out in the pasture <_<

I do agree though-you've got to want to carry an N frame. When the weather warms and the clothing changes, I'll be carrying one of my commander sized 1911's.

Dave

Edited to add: The only reason I can see for this revolver is for tacticool.

Edited by Airedale

Oh please! As I sit here typing this I am wearing my full lug 4" 625 which is my daily concealed carry piece. I also carry this in the summer under just a T shirt; at least when I'm not carrying my 4" Redhawk. So I don't want to hear any more of this "It's too big and too heavy" nonsense. It's NOT too big, NOT too heavy, and it DOES get the job done quite well. And the only problem with that light rail might be getting it to fit into a good leather holster. The only complaint I have about this gun is they should've made it out of good old fashioned heavy steel and not scandium. I want to know how well these guns hold up under extended use. I have my doubts.

Dave Sinko

I have no interest in this gun, however it should be noted that the light rail is removable.

Apparently they're releasing a new 325 at the SHOT show that has a 2 1/2" or 3" barrel and the C&S fixed night sights. Now that's a revolver I might carry, but if you're talking about firepower-to-weight ratio in a wheelgun, a 3" K-frame is what I'd choose.

Oh please! As I sit here typing this I am wearing my full lug 4" 625 which is my daily concealed carry piece. I also carry this in the summer under just a T shirt; at least when I'm not carrying my 4" Redhawk.

Care to share with us why you would choose to carry a concealed Redhawk?

Wannabe's carrying N frames - punishment fitting the crime.

Tom - It ain't necessarily so. ;) My M21-4 and M22-4 weigh less than my Commander, and about the same as my M19. The grip is the hard part to conceal; given equivalent holsters, it's easier to hide a N frame with decent grips (Craig Spegel's on mine) than a 1911, and nobody fusses about them.

Edited for spelling. :rolleyes:

Edited by revchuck

Tom - It ain't necessarily so. ;) My M21-4 and M22-4 weigh less than my Commander, and about the same as my M19. The grip is the hard part to conceal; given equivalent holsters, it's easier to hide a N frame with decent grips (Craig Spegel's on mine) than a 1911, and nobody fusses about them.

Edited for spelling. :rolleyes:

I've got a 4" 629-1 (also had a 3") I bought new I really like and it spent a lot of time in the console in my Blazer, but a Springfield Armory Compact (.45acp officer's model basically) with a S&A magwell to extend the grip and lots of one off parts got carried. Not because it was light, which it wasn't being steel, but it was very nice size wise. Much less bulky.

(There's a whack-job on one of the other gun forums, for example, who claims he's a federal agent and never goes out of the house without five handguns on his person, including two 629s.....)

Hmmm....there isn't any federal agency I'm aware of that will authorize an agent to carry a 629 either on or off duty. In fact, I'm pretty sure there aren't any that will allow agents to have that many handguns on their personal list. We have an issue piece and can add two personal weapons which have to be on the approved list....swat guys have two issued and can add another two.

The 325TR might make a good defensive piece for home use if someone wants the light rail option. My wife prefers revolvers (including a Smith 610) and I thought the light rail might not be a bad option to have in a bedside gun. Other than that I'm not sure where it would be all that much better than anything else.

I often carry an N frame. Wannabe? Please share your wisdom on the correct carry gun for me.

Dave

Post #18. Not sure how wise I am but in the tulies a 629 was fine, actually first choice, but in town, an officers model.

Edited by Tom E

I often carry an N frame. Wannabe? Please share your wisdom on the correct carry gun for me.

Dave

Post #18. Not sure how wise I am but in the tulies a 629 was fine, actually first choice, but in town, an officers model.

I'm with you now-thanks.

Dave

For my 2 cents weigh in, I like the moonclipped 7 shot L frame 3" with a Ti cyl. It weighs the same (32.1 ozs) as the 66 three inch that I used to have and has 1 more shot. It is much more comfortable in an inside the waistband holster than an N frame. The L frame moons are easier to carry than N size too. I carry 2 in a cell phone case on the belt.

Dave

Almost the same with a 29-2 4" Magna-ported with 300 gr bullets. Grizzly bears are protected but given the circumstance he loses. I traded the Officer model for a XD45 compact, 10 with 13 backup is better than 7 & 8. Plus I have seen how carefully police handle guns once they are in their possession.