Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Extended Slide Stops Legal? In IDPA?

9x21

Depends on the division:

CDP: yes

ESP: yes

SSP: Only if the extended slide top is available as a factory option to the pistol. Aftermarket slide stops are not allowed.

The "Inclusive" list of allowed modifications for ESP and CDP list these two things that are allowed.

8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip

safeties.

9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in

diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

Extended slide stops are not list as being allowed. I have been told before that since it is an "Inclusive List" that if it's not listed, it's not allowed.

Now that Glocks can shoot in CDP and ESP I would think that you could get away with the slightly oversize slide stop that comes on factory glocks. I don't think that I have ever seen a factory 1911 pattern gun with the long extended slide stop.

I would be interested in what HQ has to say. It used to not be allowed in CDP but that was before they let any .45 ACP play in the division.

Edited by Gregg K

A friend of mine had to remove the extended slide stop from his 1911 at the 2004 IDPA nationals, so I'd say they are not legal.

Edit: as for factory 1911/style with extended ss I bought one of these as a beater/tractor gun http://www.armscor.net/Pistols.htm and several models come with extended ss. Then again my SVI could have come with just about anything "from the factory".

Edited by jmorris

Since an extended slide stop is not on the "inclusive list" of permitted modifications, you might get caught as jmorris describes. Probably not at anything short of a major big sancioned match; few places do a real tech inspection. Although some have started weighing as well as boxing guns.

Another reason to not get one is that they don't work very well. Any is subject to being inadvertently thumbed into engagement; I know one guy whose grasp is such that he had to go to the G17 part on his G34. And an extended 1911 slide stop is so long and heavy that it will kick into engagement without being touched.

Not legal - and a bad idea on top of it.

I agree, an extended slide stop was originated for NRA bullseye one handed shooting and is not combat shooting appropriate. Bullseye shooters like to drop the slide stop with their strong hand. Combat shooters like to drop the slide stop with the thumb of the weak hand as a follow up motion to slamming home a fresh mag.

I just went with my gut for my first reply. I remember this part

NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard

on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on

all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide

release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP.

Since extended slide stops are not listed in the inclusive list of permitted modifications, then they wouldn't be allowed.

Hello: Interesting that Wilson sells an extended slide stop for there 1911's and it may not be legal. He also sells a extended mag release as well. Interesting ;-) Thanks, Eric

I don't find it any more interesting than the fact that the sky is blue. Wilson Combat sells a lot of stuff that isn't IDPA legal, included compensated pistols. In addition, extended mag releases are IDPA legal.

Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

Looks & sounds like IDPA is as confused about their own rules as is USPSA. :blink:

Thanks anyway for your conflicting responses. :blush:

I'll pose the Q to both IDPA, & USPSA directly, since neither of the rule books seem absolute.

If I ever get a direct response, I'll post it !

:sick:

Let's bottom line it.

1. Extended slide release is a part that I advise everyone I know that thinks he wants one not to get. Accidental slide lock looking for a place to happen.

2. Legal in USPSA SS as long as it isn't so large as to keep the lid of the box from closing.

3. Not legal in IDPA.

NOT LEGAL in any IDPA Division. Not on the "inclusive" list of permitted modifications, so not legal.

Not altogether true.

You can put an extended slide stop from a Glock 35 onto a Glock 17.

See p20 after section 8, under the note.

It also applies to extended mag releases too.

NOT LEGAL in any IDPA Division. Not on the "inclusive" list of permitted modifications, so not legal.

Not altogether true.

You can put an extended slide stop from a Glock 35 onto a Glock 17.

See p20 after section 8, under the note.

It also applies to extended mag releases too.

NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard

on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on

all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide

release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP.

Sorry, since I don't do plastic I'm not up on whether or not the G34 and G35 items are "extended". I guess I need to check that out. For everything else NOT LEGAL applies.

I am curious to the answer from HQ, I thought I remembered them being legal.

I'm not sure how an extended slide stop is allowed for glocks, but not others.

And yea, bad idea. Had one on about 5 years ago, shot one match with it and took it off.

I have actually thought about putting it back on to force me to stay further away from the slide :o

And yea, bad idea. Had one on about 5 years ago, shot one match with it and took it off.

I have actually thought about putting it back on to force me to stay further away from the slide :o

Regarding the Glock.

They are standard on the 34/35, therefore they are an option from the factory. That's why they are legal.

Regarding the Glock.

They are standard on the 34/35, therefore they are an option from the factory. That's why they are legal.

So that would mean that because they come stock on o NP30 norc they are legal?.......not that it matters anymore as I have upgraded guns for this season.....

9X21,

You will have no rule book equipment issues with the MD regarding your slide stop at next Tuesday's match. A box will be provided for your information gathering session as well.

It is a custom gun, right? I'm sure it came that way from the manufacturer.

Craig

Extended in which direction? Width or Length?

Dan,

I talking about standard aftermarket extended slide stops here,

Not the great ones you make for open USPSA, I would earn a life time FTDR for those! <_<

PS. that single stack 9mm Officers model will be just the ticket for IDPA, How's it coming? :yawn:

Edited by 9x21

Looks & sounds like IDPA is as confused about their own rules as is USPSA. :blink:

Thanks anyway for your conflicting responses. :blush:

I'll pose the Q to both IDPA, & USPSA directly, since neither of the rule books seem absolute.

If I ever get a direct response, I'll post it !

:sick:

Submitted an E-mail to IDPA HQ on 1/13/08, I'll let you all know :surprise:

PS, I ordered some Wilson (asinoneoftheidpafoundingfatherscompany) extended slide stops, neither fit my Caspian 38 super or my STI .45, not a surprise :blink:

Edited by 9x21

PS, I ordered some Wilson (asinoneoftheidpafoundingfatherscompany) extended slide stops, neither fit my Caspian 38 super or my STI .45, not a surprise

How so? How did they not fit? Why is that not a surprise?

Wilson builds primarily 1911s. this part fit 1911's perfectly, but will require fitting (the extended part) to work on Caspian wide body & STI 2011. Since Wilson has little focus on widebodies (except his plastic one), I was not surprised the part did not have the clearence to fit my pistols.