Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 6 2008 Championship Who is going?

Boo/Chris: I had no idea that was you two. I try to keep track of DQ's during matches and talk to the ROs involved to get their perspective (sorta like seeing a car crash and knowing you shouldn't look, but can't tear your eyes away...). FWIW, I can tell you that the RO's felt almost as bad as you guys did.

:(

XRe - I've aways enjoyed your posts and your insights into the game. Knowing how you've progressed to such a high level and are still striving to improve your performance and understanding of the game is inspiring. If you were 6' 5", I'd still would have said I expected you to be taller!

DirtyPool - Thanks for all the tips on stage strategy. You likely saved me from an even more miserable performance!

I stunk up the match in a spectacular manner. Shooting all day Friday, and it was a l-o-n-g day for me, I managed to earn 11 Mikes and 2 No-shoots. I can only imagine what I may have been able to achieve if there had been 3 or 4 more stages to work with. At one point I overheard someone saying they thought one of the porta-potties was getting a little 'ripe' in the hot GA sun. I had to explain that what they were experiencing was the aroma of the scoresheets in my range bag.

In spite of that, I had a blast at the match! Singlestack, TM262 and I rented an RV and lived at the range for three days and nights. I've never done that before, but I definitely will again. There's nothing quite like staggering off the last stage and 10 minutes later having a cold adult beverage in your hand while the smell of charcoal readying for steaks tickles your tastebuds. Yummm...

The best part was finally got to exchange handshakes with so many people from this forum that I've known for years and consider friends, but had never seen their faces. I won't try to list everyone here (the list would be too long) but that was the high point for me.

Congratulations to all the winners (not all of them took home trophies) and thanks to all who came out to play.

:cheers:

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MATT,GREAT JOB AND GREAT MATCH. WE WERE LOOKING FOR YOU AT THE AWARDS, MUST HAVE HEADED HOME. CHRIS , SORRY YOU HAD TROUBLE. BY YOUR SCORES YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN RIGHT IN THE MIX OF THINGS...JAMES SMITH

I figured it up:

Thursday night, 10PM-Sunday Noon, I had exactly 1 hour of time when I wasn't working, driving, sleeping or shooting. I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for more than one night in a hotel, or I'll wind up as the best-armed smoking wreck on the interstate one night. Thankfully I have a buddy in Nashville that let me sleep at his house on the way back to Louisville Sat. night.

As for sandbagging, I SWEAR I just suck at classifiers, I get all speed-panicked and throw misses. That and the short/quick nature of classifiers overemphasizes the importance of draw speed vs. most match stages. Gimme a classifier that has a texas star at 27 yards (anyone measure how far that sucker was from the right side of stage 1?), and I'll be up there in no time. ;)

H.

THE STAR ON THE RIGHT WAS 19 PACES FROM FAR RIGHT SHOOTING POSITION, BUT I DID NOT SEE ANYONE SHOOT IT FROM THERE. IT WAS 14 PACES FROM THE RIGHT EDGE OF THE CENTER SHOOTING AREA ABOUT THE 180 SPOT. SOMEONE IN OUR SQUAD CHECKED. I THINK HE SAID THE LEFT SIDE WAS 11 PACES.

Great match and an incredible facility!!! SRGC is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to shoot A63G there.

Thanks to Cindy for getting me into the match as well as putting up with my last minute division change. Thanks to XRe for putting up with me and offering an extra bed to crash in over the weekend. It was great seeing old faces and meeting new ones. Off the top of my head 'im45dv8', 'Singlestack', 'boz1911', 'Sharyn', SmittyFL' and the unmistakable 'Pharaoh Bender'. It was great to see Odie (Photo Motion Photography) again too!!!

Y'all are the best people in the world. Truly second to none and can't thank you enough for the kind words and words of encouragement. 2nd match shooting Production and gettin' moved up already. So close to winning my class though (41 match points...stupid stage 1).

Learned a lot and will be back for A6 next year!!!

Rich

THE STAR ON THE RIGHT WAS 19 PACES FROM FAR RIGHT SHOOTING POSITION, BUT I DID NOT SEE ANYONE SHOOT IT FROM THERE. IT WAS 14 PACES FROM THE RIGHT EDGE OF THE CENTER SHOOTING AREA ABOUT THE 180 SPOT. SOMEONE IN OUR SQUAD CHECKED. I THINK HE SAID THE LEFT SIDE WAS 11 PACES.

Unless you were me, who missed one of the big poppers, and accidently nailed the bottom plate of the right-hand star <_< so by the time I got down range, that thing was haulin'. I thought it was a range malfunction, until I heard everyone laughing at me and my terrible luck...

Who is Gary Byerly? Is he a member here? He smoked as a C class shooter and I'd be interested in how he does it! I could learn something from a guy like that. I figure he has to be a Master class shooter in another division or something.

When it came time for the random prize table drawing (after the division and class winners had been to the tables set up for them to claim their well-earned loot), Singlestack (John) and I got into a discussion about who has the worst luck. This ended with a $5 bet as to which of our names would be drawn last. As prolific as the prizes were, neither of us had our names called before the large amount of goodies were gone.

Shortly after that, at the RO's drawing, we rolled the bet over. Someone overheard us talking about it and said his luck had been so bad lately he wished he had made a bet like that with someone. So I invited him to join in. Next thing I know I'm writing names on a piece of cardboard and holding a fist full of money. We had 22 entries for a total of $110 when I closed the book. It was pretty funny. In spite of the great job Cindy did in rounding up prizes for us, some folks were hoping their name wouldn't be drawn just so they could win the cash! I survived until just 3 names were left (and yes, John was drawn before me) and then I got sent to the prize table.

It was so much fun, I expect we may see the "Dog Tired, Dead-Beat Loser's Pool" again sometime.

and the unmistakable 'Pharaoh Bender'.

;) It was a real pleasure finally getting to meet you Rich, and many others. Although I didn't preform as well as expected, the fellowship more than made up for it.

Who is Gary Byerly? Is he a member here? He smoked as a C class shooter and I'd be interested in how he does it! I could learn something from a guy like that. I figure he has to be a Master class shooter in another division or something.

Not a Master. His highest classification is B Production, and he is a good shooter.

**You can only hold a classification in a given division one class lower than your highest in any other.

GARY SHOOTS ALOT OF IDPA AND IS A GOOD SHOOTER.( NOT SURE WHAT CLASS IN IDPA) SHOOTS ALOT AT STATESVILLE NC AND WILL BE MOVING UP IN A HURRY I WOULD THINK WITH HIS SKILLS.

GARY SHOOTS ALOT OF IDPA AND IS A GOOD SHOOTER.( NOT SURE WHAT CLASS IN IDPA) SHOOTS ALOT AT STATESVILLE NC AND WILL BE MOVING UP IN A HURRY I WOULD THINK WITH HIS SKILLS.

James, you might want to consider turning off the Caps Lock key. ;)

James, you might want to consider turning off the Caps Lock key. ;)

It has to be on for the other work program I am running. I forgot that bugs some people.

Prize table would be my only gripe about the match. Had I known how it was going to lay out, I would have left after the awards were done. That said, it's never easy to please everyone. However, a prize for every competitor is a good start. I'm in the group that didn't get called too.

Rich

A little search offered some information. He turned in some GREAT scores. In IDPA he is a Master class SSP shooter and won the S&W match. I was looking at all the C class scores since that's what I shot in and just happen to notice he was on fire. I had a great time at the Area 6 match and can't wait for the next one!

...........Next thing I know I'm writing names on a piece of cardboard and holding a fist full of money. We had 22 entries for a total of $110 when I closed the book. It was pretty funny. In spite of the great job Cindy did in rounding up prizes for us, some folks were hoping their name wouldn't be drawn just so they could win the cash! I survived until just 3 names were left (and yes, John was drawn before me) and then I got sent to the prize table.

It was so much fun, I expect we may see the "Dog Tired, Dead-Beat Loser's Pool" again sometime.

Thats fricken hilarious Mark.

Perhaps I will join in next year. ;)

For the record...................I am Gary Byerly. I have had a good two weeks between this match and the SC sectional. I'm a IDPA MA in ESP and SSP and have won a few matches, but not S&W. FWIW, I am also the NC/SC Area Coordinator. This was only my 2nd match shooting a Limited gun in major and I am loving it! Several of the stages played to my strengths as a shooter and I was fortunate to be squadded with my good friends David McDonald and John Herath. They provided much needed tips all day and I am grateful.

Prize table would be my only gripe about the match. Had I known how it was going to lay out, I would have left after the awards were done.

Dude, I thought you had left! I looked around for you before I took off... Sorry I missed you...

Mark, I'll take my 5'9" - just about perfect middlin' size for this game. 11 mikes??? Ouch... I don't feel so bad about my 6, then :lol:

Ok... the chrono story... You might want a beverage and a snack for this one.... :popcorn1:

First, some background... Last time I shot A6 was at Anderson, SC in 1999 (??). That match was a serious learning experience - it was the first major I was shooting as a Master class shooter, and I felt a lot of pressure to perform. I was shooting a reasonable match ...... right up until the chrono. Oh boy... Yep, you guessed it. Went minor. Yeesh. Finally troubleshot that back to powder that had sat in the powder measure for a couple of weeks before loading it up (yes, I know that's not supposed to make any difference, but there it is) Anyhow.... so, I'm twitchy about ammo when headed out to a major because of that experience.

So, due to an unfortunate set of circumstances that would take too long to explain, I discovered that my current load was marginal with regards to PF, and needed a slight bump, but was unable to chrono the new load in the weeks before this A6. You can imagine I was feeling a little anxious about it. In fact, I didn't even have a chance to drop check my ammo before I shipped it up to Bob Londrigan to drive it over to the match for me - so before I start the first stage, I'm busy in the shade by Stage 1 drop checking ammo in my case gauge :rolleyes: And I find several high primers along the way, too - or, at least, questionable primers... So, I dump those in the chrono bag, of course :lol:

Anyhow, we shoot Saturday, show up on Sunday, shoot 3 stages and hit the chrono. The whole squad minus me and Keith Dillworth go through, and then its my turn. Butterflies are flying? Check. The chrono is THE most valuable stage in the match, make no doubt about it - and you've nailed it or not sometime in advance of the match. I'm finishing off a case of MG 121s - I happily note that my bullet weighed 121.1, which is a little on the heavy side vs. my measurements. Good deal. Ken tells me to hand over my rosco and a mag, and he goes to work.

BANG!

First shot doesn't register on the front chrono. It registers 1013 on the back chrono. :o

I'm like "No frickin' way!" .... The stomach does a couple of backflips.... Ok, Dave, chill, something's amiss with that round, no biggie. Even though that screws the average of the first three, the next three will be fine. Good to go.

BANG!

Both chronos read 0000.... uh....

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

All 0000s....

At this point, I suggest that my bullets are travelling at light speed, and I should be given an infinite power factor :roflol:

Ken unloads, and gets down to check the apparatus - sure enough, there appears to be a problem. Three of the skyscreens have no power. Hmmmm..... So, I go down to hold up the side of the chrono coffin for him while he inspects the gear more closely. There's nothing obviously wrong with the front chrono, but the the power cord on the rear skyscreen on the back chrono is just hanging there. D'oh. We figure that the first shot out of the gun clipped that skyscreen, and it was the futz'ed up signal from that impact that registered the 1013 (big internal sigh of relief! Ahhhhh.... whew...). So, Ken goes to his handy stash o' parts and retrieves a new skyscreen sensor, and reconnects all the stuff. Bammo, rear chrono has power everywhere now.

The front chrono still doesn't have power on the rear skyscreen, though, so he pulls that one down. Wouldn't ya know, the bullet just grazed that skyscreen enough to cut the power cord, but leave the rest of the screen intact! That's two chronos with ONE SHOT! Most excellent! :lol: Somehow he managed to completely miss the front skyscreen on the rear chrono, though, and just clip rear skyscreens. Wild stuff. So, Ken does the necessary repair on the front chrono, as well.

We go back up, and I retrieve more ammo for him, cause at this point, he's only got one round left. BANG! BANG! BANG! 172 PF. NICE! But, the rear chrono still isn't working.... That one was operator error - forgot to plug the rear skyscreens back in ;)

You'll note that all those "questionable" rounds went bang. Hmmm... one that got past the QC didn't... (see stage 11.... <_< ).... So, now we still have an ammo problem to troubleshoot after DTC and A6, but... at least I made major :D

BTW ... I finally got to say hi to Kate Durham, the young lady working the match (on stage 12) to help pay her way into the greatest Area match (at least the most expensive one) this side of the Mississippi. ;)

She is one of the nicest new shooters you will ever meet. She was bright and very sweet. A real pleasure to talk to. I can tell she really likes shooting. I hope she enjoyed herself both while working, as much as while shooting this match. This sport itself is almost as fun as the wonderful people you get to shoot it with.

I hope she wasn't discouraged by her placement, and just enjoyed the shooting for what it is ..... LOTS OF FUN!

(heck she beat me, if you check the L-10 scores! ) :o;)

For the record...................I am Gary Byerly. I have had a good two weeks between this match and the SC sectional. I'm a IDPA MA in ESP and SSP and have won a few matches, but not S&W. FWIW, I am also the NC/SC Area Coordinator. This was only my 2nd match shooting a Limited gun in major and I am loving it! Several of the stages played to my strengths as a shooter and I was fortunate to be squadded with my good friends David McDonald and John Herath. They provided much needed tips all day and I am grateful.
Great match Gary !!!