Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How low to allow powder to get in measure?

My W231 is almost gone (3" left in measure) this will probably do close to 500 more rounds of 45.

I am getting some more W231 but a different lot.

1. How low can you let the hopper get? So far my loads are not changing and i keep tapping the hopper every ten rounds or so.

2. When you get a new lot do you mix up some of it with the old, or pour the new on top in the hopper or what?

Thanks for the help, i searched and didn't find this.

I don't use the same powder (TG), but I've gone down to the metal and the throws are still the same. As for different lots, I just pour the new in and keep going.

I'm sure over time that when I've emptied the dispenser that it contains a mix of lots.

I've took it down to where you cant see any powder from the top!

It was kind of an expiriment to see how far I could go, but I measured

every last round. When the last powder disappeared under the bar thats

when my charge went south..

I dont like to run it past the baffle...but in a pinch I have run it almost dry

Be real carefull down at the bottom of the barrel...check each case for volume..or weight

I have used quite a bit of 231...never saw much change from lot to lot

Jim

I also did the experiment of running the hopper dry. All loads were within spec, except the very last one. It held almost every last grain of powder that was left in the hopper.

I usually refill at about 1/3 left. I never worry about mixing lots.

Just FYI...

JS

I've took it down to where you cant see any powder from the top!

It was kind of an expiriment to see how far I could go, but I measured

every last round. When the last powder disappeared under the bar thats

when my charge went south..

I did this too.. no change until the very last charge.. not what I was expecting...

With some powders it WILL matter to let the hopper get below the baffle, with some others it won't. As a general rule, when it gets to half full you will need a break anyway so fill it up. I don't load more than a couple hundred of ANYTHING without topping the measure off. Consistency is everything.

I do not think you will see much difference between lots. If you are going to a major match I'd chrono them to make sure but otherwise you are GTG.

As far as mixing powders from different lots, W W powder is very consistent and the 45 load is low pressure. I've never even worried about it in my 12 ga loads. You should be fine but if you are worried, old powder makes great lawn fertilizer :)

As far as how low, I usually run down to the baffle.

I also did the experiment of running the hopper dry. All loads were within spec, except the very last one. It held almost every last grain of powder that was left in the hopper.

I usually refill at about 1/3 left. I never worry about mixing lots.

Just FYI...

JS

I have had the same results.

Even though I allways just add new to old and I dont think you will have any problems, I would reccommend re chronographing. Winchester powders have gone through some manufacturing and distribution changes. I know the designs changed hands. I have no idea if 231 is still coming down the same factory line.

So Hsmith, are we talking about a hopper half full or half empty ? :lol:

Edited by Joe4d