Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hops Shortage

jhgtyre

Ok I am a shooter. brass/copper shortage and price doubling

Ok I am a pale ale drinker. it has the most hops so price going up or quality down

What next a shortage on cute girls? ok the price did go up so there is another shortage

Edited by BSeevers

Time to dust off the homebrew equipment! :cheers:

Trodrig

Man, I wish it was that easy, but homebrewers may be out of luck as well. Just read about the hops shortage in my latest issue of Brew Your Own. Homebrewers may get the short stick on hops since all the big brewers are buying up everything they can get. May not be a whole lot left for the little guys. Many of the varieties that craftbrewers (and homebrewers) use are getting harder to come by since they are less profitable to the hop farmers. Many of the hop farmers stopped growing some of the "Noble" hop varieties and opted for varieties that offer greater yield (1000 lbs per acre vs. 3900 lbs per acre) and higher alpha acid content. Most of the big mega brewers make a hop extract and add it to their brew instead of using the hops themselves. Makes it easier to keep flavors (or lack of them) consistent. Article in BYO said it could be 2 years before the shortage is averted.

Edited by bierman

First lead prices shoot through the roof and now http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305638,00.html

we are out of freakin' hops!

Thank god for whiskey!

-ld

It seems they have learned the technique mastered by Big Oil and the Energy Consortiums:

1) Create an artificial shortage

2) Starve the supply until the people beg

3) Triple the price

From what I have heard those guys are mere novices compared to the diamond industry.

-ld

First lead prices shoot through the roof and now http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305638,00.html

Thank god for whiskey!

-ld

It seems they have learned the technique mastered by Big Oil and the Energy Consortiums:

3) Triple the price

From what I have heard those guys are mere novices compared to the diamond industry.

-ld

That's true: the diamond business is the only one which has successfully convinced the world that rocks which are not rare or especially pretty are so essential you must spend the down payment of a house to get one.

Thank god for whiskey!

-ld

3) Triple the price

With the change in federal law and government subsidies of corn based vehicle fuel the growers found they could make more money growing corn than growing hopps. That is why hopps prices have increased by x5 - low supplies and a growing demand. The farmers are growing corn because of artificially created demand by yet another government program. Ain't the government(demopublican and republicrat) grand?

From what I read, the shortage has been caused by several factors, one of which is simple economics. For many years there was a surplus of hops. Many of the big brewers bought up the surplus, made hop extract (which has a several year shelf life) and saved up for a rainy day. Due to the surplus, hop prices dropped and many hop farmers switched to more highly profitable crops. No one really knew how much hop extract was out there, since many of the brewers considered that information to be proprietary. Consequently, when they started to run out, no one really knew until it was too late. Worldwide hop acreage is down about 30% and, like the article stated, much of the European crop was adversly impacted by weather. It takes two years for a newly planted hop vine to produce hop flowers, so even if they planted more today, it will be a while before the shortage is alleviated.

-ld

3) Triple the price

+1 on that!!!!

Ok, first of all this the fault of the guys at Samual Adams, they say they use 10 times more hopps then anyone else!! :P

Now since everything I use is going up except my paycheck, how can I use this big oil formula to make my boss

triple the price of that???

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER