Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Annual Frozen Chosen

maineshootah

Well, we finished up another great Frozen Chosen - an annual match that I started when I took over the action pistol program at my local club. It is the "first" match of the new year in the country, held on Jan 1st, in of all places.. Maine. Not California, Arizona, Florida... Frozen Maine.

Last year we had a dozen crazy participants to shoot in the rain (38 degrees) . This year we had 16 to shoot in the snow (19 degrees) with 16" of fresh powder from the night before, with several folks frustrated that they couldn't make it to the match as they could not get out of their driveways due to the snow. I have never had to dig DOWN to place a shooting box before. :surprise:

Along that same line.. if a target is 5' at the shoulders, is that 5 ' from the frozen ground or does that take into account recent snowfall?

You will see what I mean when you look at the pictures.

(BTW.. I am the fella with the sweet looking SJC open Glock)

:cheers:

Pics

That's cool. We also had our New Years Day Steel Shoot yesterday, 12 hardy souls braved the cold. Most of the snow is gone, but it sure was cold and windy. Everytime you warm up your hands, by the 3rd string of shooting you can't feel em', brrrrrrr!

The true follower of The Way of The Wheel, is he using a K-38? If so, that is a neat old-school gun.

I'm the half-wit with the mad bomber hat on.....not sure what model the revolver is that Scott is using, but I was most impressed with his full out tactical holster for it! It took a lot of work with a roll of duct tape and a pizza box to come up with something that covered the trigger guard before the match. He is a definite action pistol convert after this match. He is a high power shooter who decided to come out and give the sport a try, and caught the bug in the process.

Well, we finished up another great Frozen Chosen - an annual match that I started when I took over the action pistol program at my local club. It is the "first" match of the new year in the country, held on Jan 1st, in of all places.. Maine. Not California, Arizona, Florida... Frozen Maine.

Last year we had a dozen crazy participants to shoot in the rain (38 degrees) . This year we had 16 to shoot in the snow (19 degrees) with 16" of fresh powder from the night before, with several folks frustrated that they couldn't make it to the match as they could not get out of their driveways due to the snow. I have never had to dig DOWN to place a shooting box before. :surprise:

Along that same line.. if a target is 5' at the shoulders, is that 5 ' from the frozen ground or does that take into account recent snowfall?

You will see what I mean when you look at the pictures.

(BTW.. I am the fella with the sweet looking SJC open Glock)

:cheers:

Pics

I was up there the week before new years had I known you were shooting I would have extended my stay. Left the 27th

Cool pics! We didn't have that much snow for our 3 gun, but it was a little colder....9 degrees when I left my house to go set up. We did have a great turn out though. We had about 23 shooters and 5 first time 3 gunners! I couldn't believe it.

I wish we got snow like that around here.

TG