Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA SSR Revo

Tom E

I was looking at getting a 4" barreled revolver to play IDPA SSR with. Is a S&W Model 10 usefull or just an exercise in futility with the "fixed" sights. The other option seems to be a 15 (old) or 67. I need the benefit of your experiences.

Model 10 with heavy barrel will work as long as you can do your part. The 67 would be better with the adjustable sights. Remember, to make power factor for SSR the loads need to be +P so make sure an older revolver can take the loads. I use a 2.5" 66 a lot with no problems. Others I know use 3" fixed sight K frames.

I use a 3 inch Model 10 in IDPA. I also have a 4 inch model 10 and a 4 inch Model 15. All of the front sights have been changed to a post of some sort. Two of them have fiber optics. If you are looking for a gun to buy, then my suggestion is any K-frame with adjustable sights and if possible a pinned front sight so you can change it if you want to.

Bill is right on this, but I just want to add that every American shooter needs an S&W M10 of some description, just like they need a Winchester M94 and a Remington 870 and an AR-15 and a 1911.

The last major match I shot (Badlands/OK state match last year) I used my M10. It didn't hold me back, but that could well be a comment on my innate ability. ;)

I recommend getting a .357 K frame, just for the added safety margin in shooting a bunch of +P ammo. It won't kill a .38, but it will wear it more quickly.

Ah, but I use a Ruger Alaskan .454/.45 (using .45 Colt of course ;) ) which has a 2 1/2" barrel. On those long field courses (30+ rounds needed), I feel that the others in my squad could take a nap while I am completing them. :lol: It's all about having fun to me. Of course I strive to win, but it has to be fun to keep me coming back.

Since I participate in SASS, IDPA, and USPSA I find it easiest to just reload .45 Colt for all of them. I have one load for SASS and one load for the other two. None of them are loaded light. :goof:

Bill is right on this, but I just want to add that every American shooter needs an S&W M10 of some description

Does my M64 count?

Close enough. :)

I don't have a Winchester model 94 but I do have a Rossi Model 92. Does that count for anything???

Ditto. :D

Edited by revchuck

Bill is right on this, but I just want to add that every American shooter needs an S&W M10 of some description, just like they need a Winchester M94 and a Remington 870 and an AR-15 and a 1911.

The last major match I shot (Badlands/OK state match last year) I used my M10. It didn't hold me back, but that could well be a comment on my innate ability. ;)

I recommend getting a .357 K frame, just for the added safety margin in shooting a bunch of +P ammo. It won't kill a .38, but it will wear it more quickly.

Gosh I am so un-American. :ph34r::lol:

I am a revolver nut but I don't have a model 10. I do intend to change that when I can find one I like for a good price. I do have 2 mdl 19's.

I do have a Win 94 AND a Marlin 94 and a AR 15. I don't have a 1911 right now or a 870.

Man I have a lot of guns to buy.

Since the DP in IDPA stands for Defensive Pistol. I would think fixed sights would be the preferred way to go.

My .02 worth.

Not in the least. Adjustable sights are the only way to go for me even on a carry gun. I want to know that whatever pistol I pull the trigger on is POA POI for my eyes.

I hardly ever turn them little screws after about the second trip to the range with a gun, but the sights are taller and much easier to pick up. I have tried various colors of paint, but fixed sights are just too low for good acquisition and aiming.

H. Bowen has a nice fixed revolver sight but charges a ton of money to put it on. There was another gunsmith who had one several years ago but no longer catalogs it and did not reply to my inquiry.

Welcome to SSR.

Fixed sights are no liability. As Mr. Nesbitt pointed out, fixed sight guns have won lots of matches.

I made MA at the 06 S&W WinterChampionships with my 3" 1980's vintage FBI-Issue Model 13. The match was predominantly no/low light. All of the other SSR shooters had guns with adjustable sights, and most had night sights.

If you're buying a new gun, you should also consider the new 686SSR if you want something a lttle sexier, but a Model 10 will work just fine for a very long time.

Best Regards,

Craig

Edited by Bones

Like Bill and Craig, I have done pretty good work with a 3" Model 10. I won the revolver division at the 2007 GA State IDPA Championship with mine. Changing the front sight to a Patridge style instead of that horrible Baughman ramp helps a lot.

About all I'd add is that you're likely to do better with a more nose-heavy gun. In the case of Smith K-frames, that means a 19 instead of a 10. In the case of Colts, a Python instead of an Official Police.

You'll get a faster second shot and a quicker sight picture on any fast work.

For me, my IDPA revolver is a King Cobra, which I shoot faster than any other .36 cal. It takes the superb Comp III speedloader fine, and I even hear Glockers saying "nice reload" every so often. The handle shape is improved, and even better for moderate-sized hands than the K-frame because the grip angle is more vertical and the trigger reach is shorter.

I get better accuracy from my .357 Model, but it takes longer.

Bill

KCIDPA.jpg

Is it OK to change the front sight on a Model 10 ? Is that considered "enhanced" ??

Yes, you can change the sights. You just can't use something like ghost ring sights. Here is a clip from "Permitted Modifications" under the SSR division.

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Sights to another conventional notch and post type (see

“sights” in glossary for further information).

From the glossary

Sights: Only conventional notch and post type sights are permitted

for IDPA competition. Sights may include tritium inserts, fiber

optic inserts, white dots, etc. Examples of conventional notch and

post type sights: