Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell For G35

MBaban

I have the Glockmeister brass magwell for my G35 & like it a lot. Made by T.H.E. so its the same as what CustomGlockRacing sells. It comes with an aluminum base, for me it adds plenty of weight. There's a lot of brass already. Balances perfectly with the long steel guide rod from handgunneroutlet.com.

Does anyone know if magwells are legal in Production, if the weight is kept under 2oz??? I like Limited, but I'm curious... :huh:

dvc - eric - a28026

THE magwells are the best design for small frame glocks. They have a proper sttep angle and the exterior design helps lock the hand in. Additionally the brass version adds weight thta softens the gun.

For the THE mw a basepad is not 100% required it does make lodaing a whole lot easier. For L10 I reccomend and use the TF brass +0 pads.

CGR also sells the aluminum version of a THE magwell if you're interested in keeping the gun as light as possible. I use the aluminum version on my G35 and really like it. Wasn't interested in the extra weight.

I have bought and tried just about all there is available right now.

California Comp Works has a cool Delrin slim-line type well that would be good for a carry gun, but is to narrow in profile for a comp gun.

Lightming strike has a nice well, wider that the CCW, but still fairly slim as well. I liked it, but could not get it in anything except aluminum.

Glockmeister aluminum was is a larger size yet, and felt a little "Boxy" when in firing grip, kind of like the old style Para frame.

THE's brass well is my current choice. It is about the same in external size as the Glockmeister, but the angles seem a little different, and the internal angle is a little more steep. I like the weight as well.

I have bought and returned a few others as well, some without even opening the bag! I went through a streak of matches where I couldn't make a reload in under 3 seconds to save my life, and ordered every one in the Brownells catalog to look at and try! I kept and used the 4 above, and they all have good points. For an IPCS gun, I'm in favor of the THE right now.

Now, in another thread there is mention of a modified Dawson Ice on a Glock open gun! Hmmmm, THAT seems like something I'd like to try too.... :)

Tom

You can talk to the Mad Scientist on this forum about making the Ice fit on a Glock. It does feel good and I will probably have him do the deed to my limited gun shortly. Didn't want to make any changes with Area 6 coming up in a couple of days. The opening on the Ice is nice, but what I like most about the setup is the way the top of the magwell comes up higher to provide a nice anchor for my strong hand on the bottom of the frame.

For whatever it's worth, save your $ for ammo. I've found that Glocks have large enough mag wells, and not needing a "funnel". I just do a few reloading reps in at the end of my dry firing practice and call it done. My mag changes are consistently in the 1.2-1.5 sec range, don't think I could get much faster than that. Ignore my reply if you're just looking to add more cool factor to your blaster.

PacMan, you just broke my bubble. I'm new so I'm going to wait. All this expense does eat up the other more important expense, ammo and range time. Thanks for the advise, also I will note the info from others about the magwell fo the future. Mark

Mbaban,

Regarding PAC Man’s comment about the “Cool Factor” of a magazine well the reality is that the additional weight the brass magazine well provides will help with lessening the felt recoil and also it will help protect your gripping hand from getting pinched when inserting a magazine.

Now if you are seriously considering pursuing a shooting sport like IPSC or IDPA then I would suggest that when you have some disposable funds available spend them on some adjustable sights like what Dawson Precision is offering and get a trigger job done those two low cost improvements will help improve your shooting skills a lot faster.

IF you are needing the MW on almost every reload then you need more practice. Its really there for those occaisonal times that your start to shank the load and to help salvage it. And as mentioned above the weight improves the handling of the gun for most folks and the shape helps lock the standhand on the gun.

Forgot to add - I found that reloading practice with fully magazine really helped, specially with the 140mm extension (the empty magazine seats too easy, and does not replicate real reloads.) I loaded up a bunch of dummies for this purpose (and weapon clearing practice.)

About Dawson Precision, they got probably the best fiber optic front sight for Glocks.

My reloads are decent, but looking at the video from the barricade, as I reload I seem stop instead of finishing the reload and just punching it to the target at the other side. Now, will the magwell give you an edgesince it guides the mag in? Mark

The magwell shouldn't be what guides the mag in!!!

You should be guiding the mag in with your eyes. (and a bit of technique...which has been covered in many threads on here)

If you need a magwell, that mean you have failed in the basic, fundamental process of reloading. (which happens...but, if it happens a lot, then you are relying on equipment...instead of skill)

;););)

I think the Mag wells do little to help speed improvements but do MUCH to help consistency.

I doubt I have taken .1 off a reload with a magwell. But the consistency has improved a GREAT deal.

I think CGR is right.

Larry P

Mag wells ,

Probable the most efective way of controling recoil other than a comp. The extra purchase aforded by the off hand alows for greater control by most shooters . I see mag wells as more of a balance in finishing off your grip. find the mag well that gives you instant sight aquistion , one that feels realy good and natural , one that adds a level of suport for the week hand.

Keep in mind that of a 15 to 20 second stage with one mag change even sacraficing 1to 2 tenths on a mag chane for a gun that is part of you eqates to several seconds in the end.Find that balance that works for the big picture.

For me the mag well i wanted wasent made for the glock so I grafted one on .The Dawson Ice mag well fits the bill on all aspects and the mag changes are smokin

My thoughts

Johnnie

FWIW, I really like the JP Enterprises "JPMW-1" mag well for the Glock. It's black, so it doesn't make the Glock look "too" flashy, and it doesn't effect your grip at all. BTW, let John Paul know if you are using Taylor Freelance base pads, some tweaking of the well fit was required for mine because of this. Five stars, this is a really good mag funnel.

http://www.jprifles.com/GlockMagWell.shtml

Regards,

• 6 months later...

get a magloc magwell its only $17.50+shipping they might look crappy but it works for me... i have it in my G35 and it really opened up and made my change mags a lot faster..best of all i like the opening in the front..works wonders for my NFML pre ban mags...