Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Classifier Stages

HuskySig

Ya know....last time the USPSA cut loose a bunch of new classifiers (2006), a bunch of problems were found in those too (by members here)....it seems the same thing has happened again. You'd think that they (the USPSA) would post them here (or on the USPSA forums) for review before making them official and avoid any revision process AFTER they were released.

I wonder who the 1911 Design Team is....this oversight (and others) seems like they should have been caught on the first pass without having to expect shooters to understand what they "intended".

--- snip --- but does not designate Box A as the shooting area.

Bill

Nor does the diagram show where the "shooting area" is! The only shooting related area on the diagram is Box A which pretty much means stay in the box!

Later,

Chuck

"Pretty much" doesn't hack it on a classifier. Classifier descriptions need to be very specific and very clear. No one should have to assume anything, or try to determine what the "intent" of the designer

was. There have been more than a few classifiers removed from the list over the years just

because of this lack of clarity. The WSB should define Box A as the shooting area. Or specify

that all shots must be from Box A.

Bill

Looking at 08-01, I can see where this is going to cause problems. My assumption, based on the way the scoresheet is layed out, is that the INTENT of the classifier is to end with 6 rounds on each of the four targets. But, I don't see anything in the stage description that mandates this. Based on what I am seeing, you could end the stage with 12 shots on each of two targets and be perfectly within the rules and stage description.

Anyone see something I am missing, or does this classifier probably need a bit of rework? Or maybe its designed to give the shooter lots of options?

Looking at 08-01, I can see where this is going to cause problems. My assumption, based on the way the scoresheet is layed out, is that the INTENT of the classifier is to end with 6 rounds on each of the four targets. But, I don't see anything in the stage description that mandates this. Based on what I am seeing, you could end the stage with 12 shots on each of two targets and be perfectly within the rules and stage description.

Anyone see something I am missing, or does this classifier probably need a bit of rework? Or maybe its designed to give the shooter lots of options?

Maybe, but the scoring is "Best 6/paper" so I'm not sure how that would help the shooter....

08-04 Seven, Looks Like a fun one. What do you think, shoot the popper first or go back to get T2?

Ahhhhh-----Why don't you just shoot it from the right or left of the box so you can shoot

T2 past the popper? It doesn't say you have to shoot from box A. It says you have to engage

the targets from "the shooting area", but does not designate Box A as the shooting area.

Bill

I would shoot it T1 PP1 T2 T3. Or reverse.

I don't think the US popper will need to fall to see T2 since they are 5 feet tall.

I would also do this from the Box A since by the rulebook you may NOT game a classifier stage.

PS T3 T1 PP1 T2 seems like a good choice too

Edited by BSeevers

Maybe, but the scoring is "Best 6/paper" so I'm not sure how that would help the shooter....

Sure, you can engage only two targets, with twelve rounds each. Just don't be surprised to wind up with two targets with six hits each, and two more with six misses each as well as a failure to engage penalty for those two targets when we score the stage.....

Amidon's already said this a couple of times in his column: Classifiers, esp. the stand in one place kind, are not supposed to be gamed. They're to be straight up tests of shooting, not thinking, ability....

08-04 Seven, Looks Like a fun one. What do you think, shoot the popper first or go back to get T2?

Ahhhhh-----Why don't you just shoot it from the right or left of the box so you can shoot

T2 past the popper? It doesn't say you have to shoot from box A. It says you have to engage

the targets from "the shooting area", but does not designate Box A as the shooting area.

Bill

I would shoot it T1 PP1 T2 T3. Or reverse.

I don't think the US popper will need to fall to see T2 since they are 5 feet tall.

I would also do this from the Box A since by the rulebook you may NOT game a classifier stage.

PS T3 T1 PP1 T2 seems like a good choice too

Thanks Bill :D

Steeler Standards is just Riverdale Standards with turtle targets. I guess if you're preping for the Flordia Open or an overseas match this would be good.

All look interesting. It is always good to have a few more classifiers to choose from.

Does anyone know why 99-54 Tuff Enough Standards was given the heave-ho? I never had the opportunity to shoot that one.

Question about the strong/weak hand stuff...

String 1:

On signal, engage one target with only six rounds

freestyle, make a mandatory reload and engage

another target with only six rounds strong hand

unsupported.

String 2: From Box A only, engage T1-T4 with only one

round each freestyle, then perform a mandatory

reload, then re-engage T1-T4 with one round

each strong hand only.

String 3: From Box A only, engage T1-T4 with one round

each weak hand only.

So would you start each string using both hands, then after the reload switch to strong/weak hand only as directed or is the whole string to be shot single handed? Sorry if this is seen as 'gaming' - it is a genuine question from a newbie...

Also, "_____ hand only" is the same as "______ hand unsupported", correct?

String 1:

unsupported.

each strong hand only.

each weak hand only.

So would you start each string using both hands, then after the reload switch to strong/weak hand only as directed or is the whole string to be shot single handed? Sorry if this is seen as 'gaming' - it is a genuine question from a newbie...

Since the first part of the string is freestyle, you can shoot it however you want, but it will probably be faster if you use both hands. There is not much gaming you can do when it comes to stage procedures regarding strong/weak hand. Yes, __ hand only would be the same as ___ hand unsupported. In string 3 of 08-02, you just draw and engage targets weak hand only.

String 1:

unsupported.

each strong hand only.

each weak hand only.

Since the first part of the string is freestyle, you can shoot it however you want, but it will probably be faster if you use both hands. There is not much gaming you can do when it comes to stage procedures regarding strong/weak hand. Yes, __ hand only would be the same as ___ hand unsupported. In string 3 of 08-02, you just draw and engage targets weak hand only.

Draw free style, and transfer to weak before firing any shots, for the last string. They did not bother to spell it out, figuring everyone knew rule 8.2.4

Ahhh, missed the word "freestyle" in there - now all is clear.

Thanks guys :cheers:

• 1 month later...
We'll see if I nail it this weekend.

Care to make a friendly wager this weekend? C'mon Drew! A $500 Glock shooting minor against your well machined boomstick?

Pay him no mind Drew. He's just trying to pay for some new Krylon. His holster needs a new coat.

• 1 year later...