Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to disengage the thumb safety?

Cy Soto

I doubt this makes any difference in the overall time of a shooter but, just out of curiosity…

At what point should a shooter disengage the thumb safety?

- While still in the holster

- As soon as the holster is cleared

- While “pushing out” to the target

- Once the sights are on target

NEVER before a full firing grip is established, once you have a full firing grip (whether that is free-style or strong hand or weakhand) the safety may be off as you are READY to FIRE. I do not want my manual safety off before I have a full firing grip, and most times that equates to gun level and aligned to target and being pressed out to full firing mount. When fully mounted the gun fires, so the safety comes off at some point between full mount and full firing grip. Don't let anyone convince you this is slow, I can prove them wrong....

Wow! :blink:

I am glad you asked that one. Better to ask than just push ahead blind. :blink:

I have personally seen two three guns that fired when the safety was moved to off. = Shi*t happens and parts fail. I have seen over seven with safeties that did not work :blink:

Dry fire practice is great. A shooter that commits to train rite will learn to do it smooth. How fast the gun comes out does not mean that much = Its how fast you get your first and following 'hits' on the targets.

you didn't ask about the finger into the trigger guard.

I think the safety should go off before the finger goes to the trigger at the point that you are picking up the target and the gun just below your eye level !"pointing down range".

Edited by AlamoShooter

I disengage as soon as i have the correct 2 hand grip and after 45 degrees in front.

+1

As you are pushing forward and acquiring your grip your support hands gets installed over your shooting hand. As soon as that happens, and your final grip has been established, then your shooting hand thumb comes down to complete your grip, over the support hand... at that moment the safety comes off ... the finger is still outside the trigger... and that goes in as the target has been acquired. It all should happen seamlessly, and it does with very little practice.

When shooting one handed it follows the same, minus the support hand part.

• 3 weeks later...

Read the USPSA rule book on AD's (rule 10.4). This will give you an idea about taking off the safety, but you NEVER want to take it off or put your finger on the trigger until you are at least 45 d. up from the ground on the draw unless the course has an up close and personal target(s) on the ground in front of you. They changed that recently because the course design like that violated the 10' rule.

for compteition purposed ( with competition guns) the safety goes off just before the 2 handed grip is established ( would hate to get my hand to high and have to readjust to take the safety off.

for CCW it comes off in the holster or very shortly there after where my hand stays a little longer to get a much more solid grip. a 2 handed grip is something your probabaly won't have a chance at.

for flexmoney and some other shooters here i'm sure the question is coming "what is a "safety"" :-D

A bit off topic, but I videotape a lot of my matches so I can watch and improve on my techniques, and I noticed that while I always say to myself "disengage safety when I have the sights lined up," I don't always do so under pressure. The "click" of the thumb safety is actually pretty distinct on audio. Practice makes perfect.

On my 1911 I used to take it off when getting the grip. Realized that was an accident waiting to happen so after some thinking it's now flicked off when the gun reaches the ready position, before extension. My thumb was able to move the safety without affecting my grip, and that position was what I used for IDPA and in carry practice.

Of course, with my SIG I'm in the "what's a safety" club. :)

Leam

Unfortunately, I can't get a propper 2 handed grip & then disengage the thumb safety.

As soon as I have a correct grip on the gun & cleared the holster, I disengage the safety as I bring my support hand onto the gun. Finger off the trigger until I'm ready to engage the target only.

Cheers, Ando.

Since sometimes you need to shoot upon clearing holster and turning muzzle to target, and sometimes you shoot SHO, and sometimes WHO, then the time for me is after I have removed the gun from holster/table and have the shooting grip (SHO,WHO etc) and muzzle is pointed in safe direction and approximately at the desired target shoot area, then I disengage the SAFETY. Why would I risk taking it off before I am in approximate position to shoot? In other words, just before the trigger finger touches the trigger, and the trigger finger doesn't go on the trigger until the muzzle is in a safe direction and approximately on target. :cheers:

MJ

Edited by Allgoodhits

• 5 weeks later...

I am disengaging the safey just before establishing the two handed grip at chest level. Gun is pointed pretty straight down range- at work we do a drill where we actually start engaging targets in that position and while pushing out to the target.

I am disengaging the safey just before establishing the two handed grip at chest level. Gun is pointed pretty straight down range- at work we do a drill where we actually start engaging targets in that position and while pushing out to the target.

I do the same thing, first I have worked that very drill but mainly because if I establish the weak hand I pinch my weak

thumb meat under the safety, ouch!

I doubt this makes any difference in the overall time of a shooter but, just out of curiosity…

At what point should a shooter disengage the thumb safety?

- While still in the holster

- As soon as the holster is cleared

- While “pushing out” to the target

- Once the sights are on target

You've heard the long answers. Here is the short answer:

"When there would be no catastophic issue for a bullet to hit what is in front of the muzzle".

You decide what catastophic means. Your foot, someone else, a no shoot, a table, or so close you would be DQ'd.

MJ :cheers:

• 1 month later...
A bit off topic, but I videotape a lot of my matches so I can watch and improve on my techniques, and I noticed that while I always say to myself "disengage safety when I have the sights lined up," I don't always do so under pressure. The "click" of the thumb safety is actually pretty distinct on audio. Practice makes perfect.

practice makes permanent.

perfect practice makes perfect.

...I have personally seen two three guns that fired when the safety was moved to off...

Are you sure these ADs didn't also have a finger that "snuck" into the trigger guard (which was adamantly denied afterwards)? :huh:

Edited by Xfactor

You've heard the long answers. Here is the short answer:

"When there would be no catastophic issue for a bullet to hit what is in front of the muzzle".

You decide what catastophic means. Your foot, someone else, a no shoot, a table, or so close you would be DQ'd.

MJ :cheers:

Agreed. I have been working on this lately as well. Slow motion, then picking up speed as practice progresses.

I did have a stage once where I seriously deserved to DQ, as I had over-prepped the trigger while drawing into a door port to engage. It was a complete premature shot on my part, taken from the center of my chest while pushing forward, but since the muzzle was so close and the round went through the port in the general direction of the target, I was given a pass. I froze for a second waiting to hear "STOP!". It didn't come and I unglued my feet from the floor and proceeded on. Needless to say, I was a tad rattled the rest of the match.

I make it a point now to NOT disengage the safety until my arms are at least halfway extended in the split second before I acquire a sight picture. It's a fine line between DQ and 2 alpha sometimes.

I make it a point now to NOT disengage the safety until my arms are at least halfway extended in the split second before I acquire a sight picture.

This is usually what I do too but I sometimes pinch the "meaty" part of the weak-hand's thumb with the safety. When this happens I have to readjust my grip which adds unnecessary time to the clock. Plus it also hurts! :surprise:

When it comes to disengaging the safety I don't think there is really one way that will work for all. For instance, I have pretty large hands, and if I wait till I have established my two hand grip to disengage the safety the "drumstick" of my hand gets in the way of the lever. So, for me the safety comes off once the pistol is clear of the holster and pointed down range. Then I establish my two hand grip and place my trigger finger on the trigger as I extend towards the target.

Ultimately, all we need to do to find the right answer is look to two of the four cardinal firearms safety rules. When the safety is disengaged make sure the pistol is not pointed at anything we do not intend to destroy, and make sure we are not placing our trigger finger on the trigger until we are ready to fire. I think as long as those two rules are adherred to anytime is ok to disengage the safety.....my 2 cents worth.