Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does a Steel Challenge match look like?

big daddy

So I still don't understand will I be able to shoot steel chalange at a local level. If so what will that look like ? I look forword to more shooting close to home.

Assuing that your local club(s) have appropriate non-falling steel targets (10" and 12" plates, 18x24" steel gongs), the answers are "yes", and "same as the main SC match". The fact is, this isn't a change from how it was before USPSA purchased the match, though. The difference will likely be that the matches are marketed by USPSA more, so that local level clubs will be more aware of the opportunity...

[typical, though not absolute]

A Steel Challenge stage will consist of 5 targets. (5 targets = revolver friendly)

These targets are metal. (which provides auditory feedback)

These 5 metal targets are designed NOT to fall when hit. (.22 rimfire friendly)

One of the targets is usually designated as the STOP plate. It is require to be shot last. The other 4 targets can, typically, be shot in any order. (that little bit of freestyle on 4 targets is more challenging than one might expect)

Often, all the shooting is done from one box/position. There are a few stages that have the shooter move from one box to a 2nd box. (zero to limited movement...friendly on many levels)

Each stage is shot 5 times in a row (5 strings). Your 4 fastest runs are kept for score, and your worst run is tossed out.

The start position is hands above shoulders. (You get 5 pure draws per stage. You might not get 5 pure draws per match in other games)

.22 rimfire doesn't require a holster.

Your score is your time. A missed plate adds a time penalty to your run. You CAN make up misses, up until the moment that you shoot the stop plate.

Some clubs run a variety of course of fire at each match (our local), while others tend to stick with whatever stages are the current offering at THE big match in Piru, CA.

We use a variety of (static) steel targets in our matches...including USPSA poppers, which are set not to fall when hit. For example, I have run a Steel Challenge stage that is a replica of the USPSA Classifier, Bang and Clang.

Being that this is the time of year for reruns on T.V., check the Outdoor Channel on wed. nights. If you don't have the channel maybe family or friends do.

They already aired a two-part show on the World Shoot and another one on the brand new Nationals in Florida. Both of those shows should reair soon.

I really need to start taping some of these competitions to send to new forum members free of charge. If I had a way to burn them to DVD I would be glad to start my own shooting sport promotion drive.

Just think of how many potential new shooters we could have if all of the shooting sports had the money to promote competition. People are craving information, but it is too hard to find. There are very few competitive sports organizations that suck as bad as we do reaching new participants.

On the other hand, you can watch infomercials several hours a day on fake weight loss schemes, gut-exercise machines, and how to make $70,000 a month selling trinkets.

Book ???? What book. I hope it has lots of pictures. Is the movie comming out soon? I'll have to order it for christmas for myself.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/reviews.html ;)

SC matches are a lot of fun - and better as a spectator sport than USPSA matches, as the scoring is very transparent. Don't be turned off by the pros, though - they make it look superhuman, at times :D

I'm sure the information is out there, but I'm being lazy: how do you arbitrate 'mikes?' In big matches, I guess the steel is painted between competitors? And if you don't have 5 "splats" you didn't hit it 5x?

That is how we have done it locally around here

I'm sure the information is out there, but I'm being lazy: how do you arbitrate 'mikes?' In big matches, I guess the steel is painted between competitors? And if you don't have 5 "splats" you didn't hit it 5x?

If you paint between shooters, it is very easy to determine the 5 hits ( or 4 on Outer Limits ) . If not, then it's up to the RO to call them.

Usually, we just have the squad paint after they have shot so next squad has fresh painted steel. If you have a shooter who routinely claims a hit where others say miss, make them go first.

Thx all....Looks way cool. I was looking at some video on YouTube of Angus shooting some steel match, and on some of the hits in the clip it was hard to tell the plate was hit; that's why I was wondering. Internet video sucks, regardless.

There's a Steel Challenge match 2.5 hours away, which is bit far to drive, but I've never tried it and it looks like fun, and it's part of the game I need to vastly improve on. :/

This is what our local "Speed Steel" match looks like. We usually have 6 stages, couple of SC stages and other variations, 150 round count (if you don't miss).

CPS Speed Steel Match

I can't believe y'all don't use the standard white painted steel. ;)

I am guessing they used the color orange due to the snow in the back ground...

The back ground was one of the "Theories" on why the times in Florida were faster than the times in California.

On the Hit & miss question and the RO =I learned to watch over the shooters gun I can 90% of the time call the shot even if the target was made of rubber. The second trick is to get the scorekeeper to help watch for hits.

Paint between each shooter makes it much more fun for the shooter.

pmd wrote:

I am guessing they used the color orange due to the snow in the back ground...

I'm thinking if there is snow on the ground that would be a good time to have an all .22 match, then you won't have to worry about picking your brass out of the snow.

Besides, the way bullet prices have been going it makes for a cheaper match/practice.